My Life Is a Cliché

Freedom

“Freedom!” I yelled as Katie helped me into the apartment.

I was locked in a sling to keep my bone straight. But, I was out of the hospital and that was just as good.

Katie laughed as she sat me down. “No work, though.”

“Wrong,” I said cheerily, grabbing my laptop with my right hand. “I can’t go into the office. They said absolutely nothing about working remotely.”

Katie shook her head. “You’re so stubborn.”

“Yep.” I logged into the computer system at work. “Can you get me some water?”

While she did, I fished out my headset and called the office phone. For an hour I caught up with Beatrice and Gregory. Everything was taken care of, to my relief. I wouldn’t be able to walk back in the office for yet another week.

“Where’s Thaddeus?” Katie asked after I hung up.

“I made him go home,” I said. “He’s so tired. He was there the whole time.”

“So,” she began, “are you two a couple yet?”

I blushed and nodded. “Yeah, we are.”

“Good!”

“I never thought we would get here,” I admitted. “He was such a jerk.”

“What changed?” she asked. “I noticed that he’s different.”

I hesitated. “We had a heart-to-heart,” I said finally. “How’s Ian?”

“He’s good,” she said.

“You don’t sound too happy about that,” I pointed out and she sighed.

“He’s been a bit clingy lately. We got into a fight because I’ve been in the hospital with you so often. He thinks I’m cheating on him.”

I snorted. “With whom?”

“Thaddeus of all people.”

I laughed but it ended shortly because it hurt.

“Well, that’s just ridiculous,” I sighed. “Do you want me to talk to him?”

“No. If he keeps this up, though, I might rethink our relationship.”

“I’m sorry, Katie,” I said but she shrugged.

“You look like you’re getting tired. Need some sleep?”

I nodded and she helped me into bed. I was asleep within minutes.

-Thaddeus’s POV-

I woke up from my nap feeling groggy. I groaned and stretched.

“Good morning, sleeping beauty,” my father said.

“How long was I asleep?”

“About 12 hours,” my mom answered and I plopped down at the table. “We wanted to talk to you,” she added.

“What did I do now?”

They laughed and my father passed me a cup of coffee.

“After what happened to Morana, your mom and I realized we’re getting too old for this work. It was by your instructions we were able to get Morana on your mom’s horse and up to the house. I couldn’t react that quickly.” My heart sped up. Was he saying what I think he was saying? “I know you don’t care for hands-on with the horses but we can always hire someone to do that part. What do you say, son? Are you ready?”

I stared at them both, my jaw dropped. “Are you serious?” They both nodded. “I thought you wanted me to wait!”

“It’s time,” my father said.

I ran my hand through my hair. “Yeah, yeah I’m ready. I want to be more in the business end of things. Like you said, we can find someone else to groom the horses and teach people.”

“There are plenty of people out here who are willing to do that,” my mother smiled.

My phone buzzed.

Freedom! – M

I laughed and read it to my parents.

“Ask her if she needs someone to stay with her,” my mother said.

It’s okay. Katie will stay with me when she’s not at work.

“Unacceptable,” my mother said and immediately went to her bedroom.

I laughed and sent a warning text.

My mom is on her way. If I were you, don’t fight it.

Oh dear. Are you coming, too? – M

Yes. I have some exciting news for you.

We left in about ten minutes, my mom pulling a suitcase behind her. I had told her the night before that her parents were dead and my mother must have cried a bucket of tears.

Katie answered the door and stepped to the side, her face amused.

“No,” Morana said immediately when my mother put her suitcase on the couch.

Morana was perched on the armchair with her laptop in her lap and her headset on.

“Hush,” my mother said.

“Don’t worry about me,” Morana pressed. “What about the ranch business?”

“That’s where my good news comes in,” I said and she grinned.

-

That night, we all stayed there. My parents slept on the couch and I stayed in bed with Morana. She could only sleep on the right side since it was the left side that was injured.

“I can’t sleep,” she sighed, toying with the blanket.

“Try,” I urged even though I couldn’t sleep either.

“Can I tell you a secret?” she whispered and I nodded. “I’ve always thought you were handsome.” I chuckled but stopped as her hand traveled under the blanket. “Not just your face, though.”

“Oh really?” I asked, trying not to close my eyes.

“Mmhm.” Her hand went under my shirt. “I saw your abs once, you know?”

“You’re driving me insane here, love,” I whispered and she giggled. “How many pain pills did you take?”

“Same as normal,” she whispered, tracing my abs with her finger.

“Keep this up and I’ll have to take you,” I said, my voice husky.

She giggled in my ear. “Oh yeah?”

“Yes, ma’am,” I said, kissing her face.

“I’m not supposed to put weight on my left shoulder,” she whispered and I slid my hand from her hip to her chest.

“Who said I need to put weight on your shoulder?” I murmured in her ear.

She gasped as I cupped her breast.

I kissed her deeply, running my other hand through her hair.

“We can’t go any further, my dear,” I whispered against her lips.

She pouted. “No fair,” she said but rested her head back on my chest.

I laughed and played with her hair. “Sleep, my dear,” I said.

“Good night,” she mumbled.

“Good night,” I repeated.