My Life Is a Cliché

An Honest Conversation

I was lying in bed on my right side, pillows propped up behind me. I hadn’t slept and heard every word that had been said. So he had gone out drinking. And it was all my fault.

Someone knocked and I tried to wipe my tears away on my pillow.

“Come in,” I said and Isabelle walked in.

“I thought you’d still be awake,” she said, holding a glass of water. “It’s time for your pills.”

She helped me sit up and take the medicine. “Thanks.”

“Why are you crying, dear?”

“It’s all my fault he went to the bar,” I sighed.

“No it isn’t,” she said firmly. “You didn’t make him get into the car.”

“I made him mad.”

“It was his choice to deal with his anger like that. He’s such a child,” she sighed.

“But he’s not, Isabelle.” She looked at me and I chose my words carefully. “I know he acts a little immature sometimes, but you have no idea how happy he is now that he can start working for you and Carl now.”

“He doesn’t act like it,” she said bitterly.

“That’s because he’s stubborn.” I looked at the blankets. “He has a big heart but he’s also….” I tried to find the right word. “I wouldn’t say weak but he’s lost right now. I think he’s trying to figure out how to be around people.”

She frowned at me. “Do you think that’s why he’s been so unpredictable all these years?”

I nodded. “When I was in college, Katie kept forcing me to be a certain way. She meant well. She was trying to help me make friends and get over my past. But, in the end, it really only did more harm than good. Sure I have friends and all that, but I’m not me.”

Isabelle gasped, covering her mouth. “You think Thaddeus thinks he can’t be himself around us?”

“It’s a possibility,” I lied. I’d leave telling her the truth up to him. “Just cut him some slack.”

“Well, I still don’t like how he just left,” she said stubbornly.

I chuckled a little, my eyes getting heavy. “I’m going to try to sleep,” I said.

“Of course,” she said quickly and helped me settle back in, repositioning my pillows. “Good night.”

“Good night,” I yawned and closed my eyes.

-Thaddeus’s POV-

I came down from the roof an hour later. My mother was in the kitchen which confused me. She was usually asleep by now. I heard her sniffle and stopped walking.

“Mom, are you crying?” I asked and she jumped when she heard me.

Next thing I knew, she was in my arms crying.

“I’m so sorry, Thaddeus,” she cried.

“What are you talking about?”

She sniffed and sat on the couch. I joined her.

“I talked with Morana,” she began.

“About what?”

“You,” she sighed, wiping her tears away. “She thinks you can’t be yourself around me and your father.”

“She said that?”

I started to get angry again. Who was she to say that?

“No,” she shook her head and I let out a quiet sigh. “She told me about how she and Katie met and it got me thinking….”

I smiled. “It’s okay, Mom.”

“Are you going to sleep on the couch?” she asked and I shook my head.

“No, you sleep on the couch. I’ll sleep on the floor. Good night, Mom.”

“Good night.”

I got a pillow and a small blanket and lay on the floor, looking up at the ceiling. I couldn’t help but wonder if Morana was still mad at me. I closed my eyes and sighed, deciding to apologize in the morning.

-

I woke up to the sound of a plate smashing.

“Damn it,” I heard Morana snap. “Great. Another thing to clean up.”

“Just let me, dear,” my mother said and I stood up, stretching.

“No. I want to cook you breakfast this morning.”

“You’re supposed to be resting.”

Morana sighed. “All right.”

“Go sit on the couch. I’ll make some oatmeal.”

“Okay,” she grumbled.

I stood awkwardly as she walked in. She looked at me but sat down and took the remote to turn the TV on.

“Morana, can I talk to you?”

“Why?” she asked. “So you can yell at me some more?”

I sighed and sat beside her. “My mom told me what you talked about last night.” She toyed with the strings on her sweats. “I’m sorry I yelled at you….”

“I’m just trying to help you, Hatch,” she said.

“I know,” I mumbled.

She held my hand and I looked at her.

“How are you going to do this, Hatch?” she whispered. “One thing I’ve learned about being a business owner is there’s no way you can do it without being yourself. When I’m at the office, that’s the only time I can be me without worrying about Katie breathing down my neck.”

“How can I tell my parents that, though?” I asked.

“It’s not easy,” she nodded.

“Do you forgive me?” I asked and she smiled.

“Only if you forgive me.”

I smiled back.

-Morana’s POV-

I was glad he wasn’t mad at me anymore. I didn’t like fighting but I really did just want him to be happy and his own man. And, to be honest, I was speaking to myself as well.

“It’s time to sit down and talk to Katie,” I sighed at the breakfast table.

Thaddeus smiled encouragingly and Isabelle nodded. “It’ll be good for both of you.”

Just then the door opened and I groaned. Katie came in, texting away on her phone, and Thaddeus and Isabelle disappeared.

“What’s going on?” Katie asked, sitting across from me at the table.

“I need to talk to you, Katie,” I whispered and she put her phone down, leaning forward. “It’s about this image thing.”

“I bought more clothes for you,” she interrupted. “I’ve planned another benefit party, too.”

“Katie,” I said sternly. “Please listen to me.” She looked a little insulted that I interrupted her but listened all the same. “I’m tired of this image you’ve made for me.”

“What are you talking about? You’re great! People love you! You have an amazing office and employees! And look at your body!”

“But I’m not happy,” I said and she looked shocked.

“You’re not happy?”

“No. I’m not.” I took her hand. “You’re my best friend, Katie. I appreciate everything you’ve done for me, I really do, but I don’t want to do this anymore.”

“How long have you felt like this?” she asked.

I bit my lip. “For a while now,” I answered.

“Before or after Thaddeus?” she asked suspiciously.

I laughed a little. “Before, trust me.”

She stood up and motioned for me to do the same. She hugged me gently so as to not hurt me.

“I wish you had told me sooner,” she said.

“You’re not mad?” I asked, my eyes wide.

“Of course I’m not! I want you to be happy, Morana!” My eyes watered and she started crying, too. We hugged. “You’re my best friend, too, Morana.”