My Life Is a Cliché

Answers

I woke up, completely naked, with two arms wrapped around me. For a second, I couldn’t remember what happened until last night came back. I made to turn but winced.

“Don’t move yet,” Thaddeus said into my ear.

“It hurts,” I murmured and he nodded, kissing my neck.

“Give it a few minutes. I’m going to get a shower started and I’ll help you.”

I nodded and felt him get out of bed. I put a hand just above my groin and turned a little.

“Thaddeus!” He hurried out. I could hear the water running. “There’s blood on the sheets!”

“Shit,” he said, increasing my panic. “No, no, don’t worry. It’s normal, sweetheart.”

I looked up at him and he helped me out of bed. “You promise?”

He nodded. “If you want, you can talk to my mom about it if that’ll make you feel better.”

My face was beet red at the idea but I nodded. I had never had a woman figure in my life to explain what it meant to lose my virginity.

As we got into a car, a horrible thought struck me.

“Thaddeus, am I going to get pregnant?” I asked in a high voice.

He held my hand. “No, babe. I’m not able to have kids,” he added.

“Oh. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” he said quickly but I could sense it upset him. We got his house and he led me into the house. “Hey, Mom, Morana needs to talk to you while I’m down with Hector and Frank.”

Isabelle smiled kindly. “Okay. What about work?”

“They know I’ll be late,” I whispered.

Thaddeus kissed my forehead and headed out after putting on work boots. Isabelle led me to her bedroom.

“Where’s Carl?” I asked.

“He’s down at the barn. What’s wrong, Morana?”

I covered my face with my hands and told her about last night. I didn’t want to look her in the eyes.

“How old were you when your parents died?” she whispered.

“Five,” I whispered.

She took my wrists and made me look at her. She was wearing a kind smile.

“What Thaddeus said is true,” she told me. “Bleeding is completely normal.”

For the next half hour, she explained everything to me. I was embarrassed at first but got used to the idea of talking about sexual intercourse. Eventually, I had forgotten she was his mom. Carl walked in half way through and I shut up quicker than I ever had before.

“Honey,” Isabelle said, “could you get us some soda?”

He nodded slowly, obviously curious about our sudden silence.

“So you love my son,” she said and I nodded, playing with my hands. She smiled. “I’m glad. He needs a nice girl.”

“He told me that he’s been working with Hector and Frank,” I said when Carl returned and he joined us. I popped open my Sprite. “From what I understand, Frank isn’t very enthusiastic.”

Isabelle frowned. “I really don’t like that boy. But Hector is doing amazing with the whole thing. I see a lot in that boy’s future.”

“How did you get into the auto business again?” Carl asked me.

“When I turned 18, the orphanage gave me some of my parents’ belongings. In there were a lot of blue books cataloguing cars. I did some research on cars and it kind of just went from there.”

They both nodded and Isabelle held my hand.

“I’m very sorry about your parents. How did they die?”

I swallowed, wondering if I should tell them. I sighed. “My dad killed my mom and then himself.”

Isabelle held my hand tightly.

-Thaddeus’s POV-

I was preoccupied at the barn. I wasn’t sure how my parents were going to react but I reminded myself I had a job to do. Hector and Frank were working on unloading hay we had just gotten. When lunch came, we went up to the house. Morana was gone; she had apparently gone to work.

“Did you talk to her?” I asked my mom and she nodded.

“I did. She had to leave for work but I gave her medicine for the soreness.”

“What happened to Morana?” Hector asked.

I just shook my head. After lunch, I sent them back to the hay.

“Are you mad?” I asked them but they shook their heads, my mom smiling.

“I’m glad you found someone,” my mother said and my father nodded.

“Let’s talk,” my dad said when I still looked doubtful and he took me for a walk.

-

By the time I sent Hector and Frank home, I was exhausted. I had to help them with the last load. They weren’t used to such heavy lifting so the last two hours were dedicated to hay and feeding the horses. I climbed into my bed and checked my phone.

Thanks for convincing me to talk to your mom. – M

Of course. Do you feel better? You don’t regret it anymore?

I never regretted it, Thaddeus. I was just scared. – M

Why?

I’ve never had someone to talk to about that stuff. – M

I smiled kindly. Well, I’m glad you do now.

Meds are making me tired. I’ll talk to you tomorrow. I love you. – M

I grinned. I love you, too. Sleep well.

I put my phone on my nightstand and took a shower, rubbing my sore muscles. I got into bed and sighed, happy where I was for once.