My Life Is a Cliché

Thunder

Hector came into work looking like he was going to pass out. Frank was just apathetic.

“What’s going on?” I asked, pulling the buckets out for feeding the horses.

“They’re thinking about pressing charges,” Hector sighed.

I frowned. “But they said they wouldn’t,” I said slowly.

“I know. I’m worried.”

Frank scoffed. “Don’t be worried. They don’t have the guts.”

I glared at him. “Frank, phone.” He rolled his eyes but passed it over. “Today we’re going to be grooming the horses.”

After showing them how to do it, I supervised them. Hector was having trouble, probably because he was so nervous about the family. Frank, on the other hand, was sitting on the ground, picking at hay.

“What are you doing?” I demanded, standing in front of him.

“I’m bored,” he complained. “Besides, I wasn’t the one that made this deal.”

“Very well,” I said, crossing my arms. “Then I expect my $200 by Thursday.”

His jaw dropped. “How am I supposed to get $200 in three days?” he yelled, jumping to his feet.

“Don’t yell,” I snapped. “You’ll scare the horses.”

He rolled his eyes. “I don’t give a shit about your damn horses.”

“You’ll pay me back or I’ll call the police,” I said.

There was silence and Hector watched us nervously. Frank snatched his phone from me and flipped me off. He stomped out, calling someone on his phone. I sighed and Hector came up beside me.

“Sorry, dude,” he muttered but I shook my head.

“I was serious. He better have my money by Thursday.”

-Morana’s POV-

“Thank you for calling Auto Find. This is Morana speaking. How can I help you?”

“Hello, Morana,” a voice said smoothly. “This is Frank, Thaddeus’s friend.”

I frowned. “What’s wrong? Is he okay?”

“As a matter of fact, no, he’s not. He decided to kill the horse you got thrown from.”

“Why would he do that? He knows how much that horse means to Isabelle!”

“I don’t know, but you should talk to him. Oh, wait, there’s one more thing.”

“What?” I asked slowly, standing already to get ready to leave.

“He told me you guys had sex. Don’t be surprised when he demands $200 from you.”

My blood ran cold and he hung up. I swallowed thickly and called Isabelle.

-Thaddeus’s POV-

Frank called me fifteen minutes later. I pressed my lips together.

“What do you want?” I asked.

“Morana’s got your money,” he snapped then hung up.

I frowned, wondering why she’d have the money, but just at that moment my mom’s car pulled in to the drive by the barn. Morana got out, her face expressionless. I went to kiss her but she took a step back.

“What’s wrong, Morana?” I asked and she looked over my shoulder at Hector.

“I’ll go back to the horses,” he said and left.

“Shouldn’t you be at work?” I asked.

“I was told you needed me,” she answered quietly.

“Oh, that’s right. You have my $200?”

Her face contorted into rage and she slapped me before storming off. I touched my cheek in shock.

“What did you do?” my mother asked, running out of the car and watching as Morana stormed off into the pasture.

“I don’t know,” I said, confused. “Can you keep an eye on Hector for me?”

She nodded and I jogged after Morana, shouting her name. She kept going, though, and I was starting to get annoyed.

“I know you can hear me!” I yelled and finally she stopped. Her fists were clenched at her sides. “What in the world is the matter?”

“You told Frank!?” she yelled and spun to face me.

“Told Frank what?”

“He said you told him about the other night and you wanted me to pay you for it! I’m not some whore, Hatch! And if you think I’m going to put out for Frank then you have another thing coming!”

“Stop it!” I interrupted and she clamped her mouth shut. “Now back up. When did Frank talk to you?”

“He called me half an hour ago,” she snapped.

“And he told you we had sex?” She just glared. “Then he told you I wanted you to pay me for it?”

“Weren’t you listening?” she demanded.

I ran a hand through my hair, realizing what happened. “Jesus,” I said and grabbed her arms, holding her when she tried to move. “Listen to me. I never told Frank we had sex.”

“You didn’t?”

“No. I promise.” I told her about the fight Frank and I had. “I don’t know why he called you or how he got your number but I swear he won’t get away with this.”

“Why would he do that?” she asked, a tear falling down her cheek.

I hugged her. “Because he’s a bitter asshole,” I said. “You want to come back to the barn?”

“Are you really going to kill that horse that threw me?” she whispered and he sighed.

“He said that, too?” She nodded. “No. I would never do that. Come on, I want to teach you something.”

-Morana’s POV-

I felt stupid for believing what Frank had said. Of course he would try to get back at Thaddeus. I had forgotten about how the two were at odds. When we got back to the barn, Isabelle was waiting, looking nervous.

“I’m sorry,” I mumbled but he shook his head.

“Don’t be,” I said. “Everything’s fine,” I assured my mom before she could ask. “Hector, grab a bucket of water, please.”

I frowned but followed them as they took me to the back where the horse was that threw me. I hesitated at the door to the stall.

“Don’t worry,” Isabelle said, taking my hand and pulling me in. “He needs to be washed. Would you help?”

I bit my lower lip but nodded. Thaddeus gave me a sponge and showed me the appropriate way to scrub. While I worked with the soap, Isabelle dragged the hose over to refill the water bucket.

“Why don’t we just spray the hose right on the horse?” I asked as Thaddeus threw the first bucket of water to rinse of the soap off.

“He puts a lot of effort into what we have him do,” he answered. “He’s one of the few that get the star treatment.”

“What’s his name?” I asked, realizing I didn’t know.

“His name is Thunder,” Isabelle answered.

“Here Morana,” Thaddeus said, handing me the grooming brush. “Do as I do.”

He put his hand on top of mine and showed me how to brush in the right way. I followed his motions and leaned back into him. He kissed the back of my head as we brushed Thunder.

“I really am sorry,” I repeated quietly.

“It’s okay,” he promised. “We’ll get everything straightened out with that jerk.”

I smiled and turned my head to kiss him.