My Life Is a Cliché

Valiant

Thursday came and Hector and I stood in the barn. My arms were crossed and I was facing the driveway.

“What do you want me to do today?” Hector asked. “Thaddeus?”

“Hold on,” I said. I looked at my watch. It was nearly noon.

“Are you really going to call the police if he doesn’t show up?” he asked timidly.

“Yes.”

“But I’m the one who made the deal,” he responded.

A small car was pulling in, one I recognized as Frank’s. He stopped at the end of the drive and got out, glaring at me.

“I don’t know why I’m doing this,” he snapped. “Here’s your damn money. I hope they lock you up, Hector.”

He threw the money at me. The dollar bills fluttered in the wind and I sighed, refusing to pick it up until he left. He pulled out of the parking lot and did a sharp turn, spraying us with dirt. I waited until he disappeared before picking the bills up.

“I’m sorry for causing so much trouble,” Hector sighed.

“It’s okay,” I said. “Help me pick these up, why don’t you?”

“Yes, of course.”

We spent the rest of the day working on cleaning the barn out.

“Tomorrow we’re getting hay,” I told him as we went up to the house for him to wash up. “But we need to take Morana to her physical therapy appointment first.”

-

The next morning we picked Morana up from her place around 8. She got into the car, yawning.

“You okay?” I asked and she nodded, closing her eyes.

“I was up late last night. We got a sudden influx of clients yesterday. Beatrice called in sick today and Gregory is meeting friends.”

“Are you going into the office?”

“I can’t,” she answered, and I could hear the sadness in her voice. “I need their help.”

I held her hand. “Well, we’re going to the farm for hay and horse feed. Would you like to come with us?”

“Sure,” she said just as we pulled into the parking lot.

-Morana’s POV-

I was severely disappointed. I really wanted to go to work today but there was no way I could do it all on my own. I tried not to cry in front of Thaddeus.

“Thanks,” she mumbled. “I’ll just be an hour.”

My appointment went by with minimal pain. Greg was pleased to see that I was getting along well.

“In a few more weeks, you’ll be ready to start putting weights on,” he said, placing ice around my collarbone and shoulder.

“Thanks, Greg. See you guys on Monday.”

I opened the car door and passed along the good news. Thaddeus pulled out onto the road and did something I wasn’t expecting.

“Why are we at my office?” I asked.

“We thought you could use some help,” Thaddeus smiled. “The hay and food can wait until tomorrow.”

I grinned and led them inside. I gave Hector a quick rundown on how to answer the phones and brought Thaddeus into my office.

“You’re going to be my assistant today,” I told him and gave him a stack of files. “These are the files of the new clients.”

“How do you want them filed?” he asked.

“Alphabetically by last name,” I answered and pulled up my email.

I groaned. “Thirty more clients,” I sighed and logged into my phone.

-Thaddeus’s POV-

It was hard to get the filing done; I kept stopping to watch Morana work. She was really good on the phone and I could see why she did such a wonderful job. I managed the rest of the files and leaned against the desk. I picked up a pen and poked her with it. She swatted at me, smiling as she spoke on the phone.

“Of course we can find that for you. Any specific color?”

I smirked and poked her side with the pen. She tried not to laugh while she took notes. I continued to poke her until she finally hung up.

“You turd,” she said, pushing me until I fell off the desk.

I laughed and kissed her, pulling her to her feet.

“You’re really good on the phone,” I said, kissing her on the neck.

She giggled. “And you’re pretty good at filing.”

I bit lightly on her earlobe. “No, you’re pretty.”

She toyed with my hair. “I do believe we’re in the office.”

“It’s almost quitting time,” I said, pushing her into the desk and kissing her neck.

She moaned quietly and I lifted her onto the desk. I kissed her deeply and she ran her hand under my shirt. I gasped into her lips as she ran her hand up my chest and down to my abs. I groaned and placed my body between her legs and pulled her up against me, enjoying the sound of her longing gasp. She kissed my neck and I cupped her breast.

“Morana, I- Oh.”

We jumped apart. Hector was laughing and backed out. I laughed.

“That’s so embarrassing,” she groaned.

“To be continued,” I muttered into her lips.

-

Later that night, I brought her over to dinner with my parents again.

“We’ll get the hay and feed tomorrow,” I told her when she apologized for taking up our day.

“What was it like at your office with Hector and Thaddeus?” my mother asked.

“They’re very good workers,” Morana smiled.

I put my hand on her knee under the table, ready to be alone with her again.

“We’re going to take Valiant on his last walk,” my mother said sadly.

“What do you mean?” Morana asked.

“Valiant is one of our older horses,” my father explained. “We’re having to put him down tonight.”

My mother cried a little and Morana held her hand. I felt a little sad myself. Valiant had been the first horse I had ever ridden.

“Do you want to go with them?” she asked but I shook my head.

“No. I’ve never been good with those walks,” I mumbled and led her up to my room, the mood ruined.

She went to my computer and started playing my David Bowie playlist. I sat on my bed and she joined me. She wrapped her arm around mine and rested her head on my shoulder.

“I’m really sorry about Valiant,” she whispered.

I lifted her face to mine and kissed her deeply. She leaned into my kiss and I felt the familiar stirring in the pit of my stomach. I pushed her onto her back and put one of her legs around my waist.