My Life Is a Cliché

Moving In

I glared at the trifold leather wallet in my hands. Another crash came from my office and I winced. I walked in to see my desk in pieces.

“You’re kidding!” I yelled and the workers rubbed their necks sheepishly. “No,” I said when one of them tried to talk. “Just get everything out of the truck and onto the sidewalk. I’ll take it from there.”

“Yes, Miss,” he mumbled and they both walked out with their heads hung in shame.

I sighed and looked at my desk. I’d had it since college. I shoved it to a corner angrily with my feet. I was dressed in a pair of jeans and, most unfortunately, a white shirt. Had I known I’d be the one working I would’ve worn a different color.

“Go,” I said when they stood awkwardly on the sidewalk.

I normally wasn’t a bitch but my feet still hurt, I had that idiot’s wallet, and now my favorite piece of furniture was broken.

I propped the doors open with heavy chairs and started with the smaller items, thanking myself for working out. And for having couches that could roll. Just as I got to the bigger boxes, a grey Mercedes pulled into my parking lot and I put my hand on my hip, knowing who it was.

“Took you long enough,” I snapped and Thaddeus grinned.

“I could’ve come over nude.”

I rolled my eyes and took his wallet out of my pocket. “There. Now, if you don’t mind, I have work to do.”

He frowned. “Don’t you normally have people do this for you?”

I grunted as I lifted the heavy box of books. “Workers that break my stuff? Yeah, no.”

I carried the box into my office and put them down heavily, rubbing my calves. I went back out to see Thaddeus putting the boxes marked ‘front’ in the main entrance.

“You don’t have to do that,” I said, walking past him.

“I have nothing better to do with my time.”

I narrowed my eyes at him but decided not to press it. There were still a lot of boxes left over.

“Can you help me with the bookcases?” I asked when we got all the boxes in.

We were both sweating a little and he shrugged.

“Sure.”

We managed to get them where I wanted and I let out a sigh of relief. I checked my phone.

“Well, I might as well offer to feed you dinner,” I said and he grinned.

“Are you asking me out on a date?”

“Don’t be stupid,” I snapped. “You helped me with my stuff. The least I could do is pay you somehow.”

“I know a couple ways you can pay me back,” he said, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

I clenched my jaw. “It’s either go to the café or get your ass out of my building.”

He snorted. “I guess I could eat.” He looked over at my ruined desk. “Is that what I heard crashing on the phone?”

“They dropped it twice,” I grumbled, leading the way to the café after locking the door behind me.

“At least you get to buy a new one.”

I wiped the sweat off my brow with the back of my hand. I felt some dirt smudge against it but I didn’t mind.

“I suppose,” I sighed.

He held the door open for me and I thanked him.

“Hello, Morana!” the hostess said with a grin. “You haven’t been here in a while.”

“It’s been crazy with work,” I said and she nodded.

“Two today?”

“Yes, please.”

She led us to a small table by the window and I sat down, pulling my hair back and wiping the back of my neck with a napkin. Thaddeus kept staring at me.

“What is it, Hatch?” I asked, exhausted.

“I just can’t believe you did all that work on your own.”

“I didn’t. You helped.”

He rolled his eyes and took a gulp of water. “You know what I mean.”

“I’m used to it,” I said simply, hoping he’d take the hint.

If he did, he ignored it.

“Lifting heavy objects?”

“Taking care of myself. In all ways.”

He leaned forward. “All ways, huh?” he asked and winked.

I groaned. “Do you always have to be a pervert?”

“Just when I’m around you.”

I shook my head and ordered a salad.

“Salads are your favorite, huh?” he asked.

“They’re as healthy as I can get. Honestly, I’d be happy with a burger and fries.”

“So why don’t you get that instead?”

I took a drink before answering. “Katie and a couple other people think I should keep an image.”

He frowned, his eyebrows coming together. “Who cares about what other people think?”

I hesitated, unsure of what to say. Thankfully, I was saved from having to answer by the delivery of our food. I finished my salad quickly and sighed, shooting longing glances at the burger he was eating.

He cut off a piece of the burger and grabbed a handful of fries. He pushed it over to me.

“Eat it,” he said but I shook my head.

“I can’t,” I said and he arched a brow.

“Come on, Morana. It’s just me and you. Eat the burger.” I bit my lower lip. “It’s delicious. Nice and juicy. Perfect seasoning, too. Cooked at the right temperature for any kind of burger: medium well.”

My stomach growled audibly and he smirked.

“Just one bite,” I muttered finally and stuffed the whole thing in my mouth, prompting him to laugh loudly.

“I never thought you’d be the kind of chick to not take tiny bites.”

I finished it off, repressing a smile. “I only eat tiny bites when I’m at public functions.”

“Part of your image, huh?”

I nodded, eating the fries three at a time. God, they were delicious.

“What are you doing?” a voice screeched and I froze.

We both looked over, fries still hanging out of my mouth. Katie was standing there looking scandalized.

I bit off the fries and swallowed what was in my mouth.

“Um…. What are you doing here?” I asked.

Thaddeus was doing his best not to laugh.

“You weren’t at your office so I figured you came here for dinner,” she said, still glaring. “Were you eating a burger and fries?”

I pointed at Thaddeus accusingly. “He made me do it.”

“Did not,” he said. “I just talked about how delicious it was. And it was, wasn’t it?”

I glared at him but he smirked.

“I can’t believe you,” she snapped and I rolled my eyes.

“I ate a salad, okay? Besides, it was just a few fries and a bite of a burger.”

Katie rolled her eyes. “Whatever.” She pulled a chair over to our table. “What’s the new office like?”

“Awful,” I spat and she looked confused.

“Her workers broke her desk,” Thaddeus explained, laughing.

“Is that why you’re both dirty?” Katie asked.

“I sent the workers away,” I said and she shook her head. “He helped me move in.”

“Well that was kind of you!” she said, her annoyance with Thaddeus pretty much gone.

He gave her a winning smile. “I couldn’t let her do that all on her own.”

I glanced at my phone. It was already seven.

“I’m going to head back to my apartment,” I told him. “Thanks again for your help.” I stood up with my money to pay but stopped. I narrowed my eyes at him. “Show me your wallet.”

He smiled innocently and held it up. “Right where it belongs.”

I dragged Katie out.

“How did that come to happen?” she asked as we got in my car.

“Idiot put his wallet in my purse when he walked me home,” I said. “Don’t look like that,” I added. “He followed me out of the venue as I was walking back. I called him and he came to pick it up.”

“So it was a date,” she giggled.

“God, why do you both keep saying that?” I sighed. “It wasn’t a date. I was returning the favor.”

She laughed. “If you say so, Morana.”

“So,” I said as I parked in the parking garage. “Let’s just get inside. I have to go shopping for another desk tomorrow.”

“Can I borrow your phone?” she said suddenly and I handed it over without thinking. “Well, good night!”

I frowned. “You’re going to bed already?”

She just laughed. “See you tomorrow, Morana.”

“’Night,” I mumbled and got ready for a shower.