My Life Is a Cliché

Lunch

The next day was devoted to actually unpacking my office. Katie helped me with that part by setting up the front desk. Before lunch, we hurried to Office Depot. As soon as I walked in, Katie grabbed my hand.

“We’re here for a desk and a desk chair,” she said sternly. “Nothing else.”

I pouted. Office Depot was like crack for me. There was nothing I loved more than office supplies. My apartment room was littered with unused pens and notebooks. It drove Katie insane. She led me over to the desks where two people were waiting, one of which was an employee.

“Well, what have we here?” the other person said, looking up from a computer.

“Hatch?” I asked, genuinely surprised. “What are you doing here?”

“Looking for a new computer, obviously,” he rolled his eyes and I heard Katie snicker.

“So that’s why you needed my phone,” I snapped.

“I’ll go buy you a planner. Will that make you feel better?”

“As long as it’s purple,” I growled and she giggled, hurrying off. I sighed heavily. “She called you, didn’t she?”

He tried to look innocent. “Are you here to replace your desk?”

“Obviously,” I mocked and the employee, sensing that he was done with Thaddeus, came over to me.

“How can I help you?” he asked.

“I’m looking for a new computer desk,” I answered, trying to ignore Thaddeus.

“Any specifics?” the employee asked.

I thought it over. “I definitely want one with a pull out keyboard,” I began, strolling over to the three they had on display. “Wood is fine but, as I found out yesterday, it’s easy to break.”

“We have a new model over here,” the employee told me. “It’s metal and fogged glass. But don’t worry about the glass; it’s very sturdy.” He demonstrated by dropping a heavy printer on it, making me jump. He smiled. “As you can see, it’s modern but still useful.”

I nodded, liking the style and size. “How much?”

“$299.99,” he answered and I winced. “But it also comes with a desk chair of your choice. We started that promotion just today, in fact.”

I bit my lower lip. I really did like the desk and I did have the money to spare….

“All right,” I said and the employee grinned.

“Great! I’ll be right back.”

I sighed and rubbed my eyes.

“Starting a business is tiring sometimes,” I muttered to myself.

“My parents would agree,” Thaddeus said, leaning against the model of the desk I just bought.

“How did they get into the horse business?” I asked, wanting to keep things normal for now.

“Mom is a horse fanatic,” he answered. “My dad isn’t as enthusiastic but, since he loves her, he’s willing to do what it takes.”

I couldn’t help but smile. “That’s incredibly sweet.”

He scoffed. “I think it’s incredibly stupid.”

My smile disappeared. “Why?”

“My dad wanted to be a lawyer,” he answered, running a hand through his hair. “Even though we’re successful now, he would have been successful much sooner.”

“Love makes people do anything, no matter what anyone says.”

He stared at me and I started to feel uncomfortable.

“Let me take you and your friend to lunch,” he said suddenly.

“Are you asking me out on a date?” I mocked and he smirked.

“Perhaps. What do you say?”

“Sounds great!” Katie said, suddenly reappearing at my elbow. “Here’s a new planner, boss,” she added, holding out an Office Depot bag. “Am I forgiven?”

I laughed. “Sure. This is the desk I got.”

She walked around it while I tried not to look at Thaddeus. I could tell he was staring at me.

“It’s got glass,” she said doubtfully.

“Trust me, the dude dropped this on it,” I said and passed the printer over to her.

She whistled, impressed. The employee returned with papers for me to sign and I tested out the different desk chairs. When I finally found one I liked, we went to the check-out lane.

“What about you?” I asked Thaddeus. “Aren’t you going to get your computer?”

He shrugged. “I’ll get it another day.”

As we headed out to my car, I had a feeling he wasn’t there for a computer.

-Thaddeus’s POV-

I watched her walk back to her car, talking animatedly with Katie. She did look tired. I hadn’t known what it was like to run our family business so I couldn’t relate. I got in my Mercedes, leading them to a different café not far from my parents’ house and ranch. The smell of manure made my nose wrinkle. My father kept telling me to get used to it but I could tell that would be hard to do.

“I haven’t been here before,” Katie said as I held the door open for them.

Morana muttered her thanks and we got a booth for three. I sat opposite the two girls and found it hard to stop looking at Morana. She was in business attire today: a pair of slacks and a silk purple button up blouse. She had a matching black jacket but she took it off from the heat. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Katie smirking so I quickly turned to my menu.

I’ve never known a woman to captivate me as much as Morana did. Perhaps it was because I saw her in a different light the day before; a light away from her friend. I felt pity for her. My parents had forced me into a mold, too, and it was hard to accept. Even though I would never say it out loud, that was why I did my best to rebel as often as I could. I may be 26, but I was tired of people trying to control me.

The waitress came over with waters. Before Morana could order, I jumped to it.

“We’ll each have the house burger,” I said, taking their menus before they could object. “Cooked medium-well for me and well-done for the ladies.”

“Yes, sir,” the waitress said, obviously too distracted to see the murderous look on Katie’s face.

“We can’t eat burgers,” she said immediately.

“Why not?” I asked, putting a straw in my cup, fully aware Morana was staring at me.

“It’s not good for our figures,” Katie sniffed and I snorted into my drink.

“Katie, you and Morana are the smallest women I have ever seen in my life.” Morana blushed but Katie just smiled in satisfaction. “You can stand to eat one burger and some fries.”

“Just let it go,” Morana said quietly to her friend and Katie huffed.

Katie’s phone went off and she looked at the text. With her friend being distracted, I caught Morana’s eye.

‘Thank you,’ she mouthed and I nodded.