My Life Is a Cliché

Interviews

I was preoccupied on the drive back to my office. The men would be dropping the desk and chair off between three and five and I was determined to make sure this on would not get broken. In the passenger’s seat, Katie rambled on about the different people who wanted to apply for the company and the positions we needed to fill.

“Morana,” Katie said and snapped her fingers in front of my face. I jumped. “You passed the office.”

I blushed a little. “Oh.” I turned the car around the first chance I could get. “Sorry about that. I’m not used to the address yet.”

“You’re thinking about Mr. Hatch, aren’t you?” she asked with a sly grin.

“Oh please,” I scoffed, pulling into the parking lot. “I still can’t believe that stunt you pulled.”

“Well, I figured it’s better him than those other guys. I talked to Johnathan after you left the party.”
She shuddered, making me laugh. “He’s a piece of work.”

“Indeed he is,” I agreed, “and a horrid dancer.”

She giggled and I stretched, looking around.

“All right, we have some people coming in tomorrow,” I told her. “Applicants for the secretary job,” I added when she looked confused.

“I didn’t know they were coming.”

“I had them call me instead,” I said. “I figured you have enough on your plate.”

She grinned. “Why, thank you.” I just nodded at her. “Other than Office Depot, what’s going on today?”

I checked my calendar. “Nothing,” I said. “I think I’ll just go home and pass out.”

She laughed. “Sounds like a good plan to me.”

-Thaddeus’s POV-

It was a short trip home. Katie had complained most of lunch but Morana practically inhaled that burger, something I found increasingly hilarious. When I pulled in to my house, I got a text.

Sorry about Katie. Thanks again for lunch. – M

I thought for a minute before replying.

Np. Sorry I acted like a jerk the other night.

Meh.

That was all I got and I shrugged. I’ve put up the egotistical jerk front for so long it was hard to stop.

“Hey, son,” my dad greeted when I walked in. “Did you find a good computer?”

“Not yet,” I answered. “They didn’t have many options. I’ll go to Best Buy tomorrow.” He was looking at me with the same annoying smirk Katie gave me. “What?”

“You saw a girl today,” he stated and I sighed, figuring there was no point in denying. “Who was it?”

“Morana,” I answered and he looked confused. “The woman who had that party for investors the other night,” I elaborated.

“Oh! Did you take her to lunch?”

I nodded, getting a water bottle from the fridge. “Her friend was with us.”

“So it wasn’t a date?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know what it was, to be honest.”

“You need to drop the act,” he said seriously and I looked at him.

“What act?”

“You know what I’m talking about,” he answered impatiently. “Your mom may not have picked up on it, but I know you resent how we’ve been pressuring you lately.” I didn’t answer, just scuffed my feet on the floor and drinking from the water bottle. “How much longer are you going to act like this?”

“I’m not like you, Dad,” I said finally. “I can’t just give up everything for a woman.”

“No one’s asking you to. I did it because I’m head over heels for your mother. If I had wanted to pursue my desire to be a lawyer, I easily could have. There was nothing holding me back.”

“I have an image, Dad,” I said then almost dropped my water bottle.

“What’s wrong?”

“I’m going to go lie down,” I muttered. “I’ll see you at dinner.”

I jogged up the stairs, my head hurting. It was rare for me and my father to have such serious conversations. The last time we did was when I wanted to get a tattoo when I was in high school and I got the ‘You’ll have it forever’ speech.

And I just gave him the same answer Morana gave me.

-Morana’s POV-

Around 9 in the morning, my first applicant arrived. She was a college student with promising skills. Until she opened her mouth.

“I’m going to do a test call with you,” I said, handing her the script and she frowned.

“Do I really have to say what’s on this paper?”

“For now.”

I imitated calling and she sighed heavily. “Auto Find, this is Christy speaking. How can I help you?”

“I’m looking for a 2010 Honda Civic,” I said.

She laughed. “No you’re not. Civics are not reliable.”

I gave her a stern look. “Rule number 1: The customer is always right.”

“I thought that was for restaurants.”

“Rule number 2: Do not tell the customer what they want,” I continued. “It’s the height of bad manners. For all you know, a Honda Civic could be all they can afford. Maybe it was their first car in high school or reminds them of their parents. Our job is to find the car, not argue with them.”

She rolled her eyes and I started the prompt over again. I could tell right away, though, she wouldn’t be a good fit. So it went for the rest of the day. I only found two people out of 10 who seemed good fits.

One was named Beatrice who was as old as her name suggested. She had a great list of references and she did splendidly on the filing test. Like Christy, though, she lacked the skills for the phone. That could be easily fixed, though, with enough training.

The other was named Gregory. He was 30 and just finished getting his doctorate in sales.

“I didn’t even know you could get a doctorate in sales,” I had said, impressed and he laughed.

He did well except for filing but, again, that could be fixed with training. By the time five o’clock came around, I was seated at my new desk, looking over the two applicants’ files. There was a knock on my door.

“Come in,” I called and Katie walked in.

“How did the interviews go?” she asked and I sighed.

“Well, I narrowed it down to two people,” I answered. “I’m having trouble deciding which one, though.” I put the files down. “I’ll just do second interviews. I’ll call them tomorrow. Let’s go home.”

“About that,” she began and I frowned. “I need the car.”

“Okay,” I shrugged. “Can you drop me off?”

“No,” she said and she was blushing.

I narrowed my eyes. “What aren’t you telling me?”

“I have a date,” she blurted out and I leaned against the desk. “With Ian; the guy from the party.”

I bit my lower lip before responding. “Let me guess: you’re meeting up on the other side of town.” She smiled apologetically. “Never mind. I’ll take the bus.”

“Sorry,” she said in a small voice but I shrugged and handed her the keys.

Katie knew very well how much I hated last minute changes; especially when they involved me getting home. She scurried out as if afraid I’d yell at her.

I checked that I still had my mace in my purse and locked up my office, headed towards the bus stop.