Status: Neck deep in Kylo trash

The Sound of Silence

Indoctrination of Values

The days continued on as such: Snoke left me in charge of Jami’s training with the Force, and Hux stepped in for her indoctrination of First Order ideals. Due to Jami’s hidden personal vendetta against Hux, and because I knew it would piss him off, I observed all her interactions with the general.

“Following the Empire’s defeat over Jakku,” Hux was droning on. “The New Republic forced Empire leaders to sign the Galactic Concordance. This kept the Empire restricted in its movements to the Core and Inner Rim and called for total cessation of all hostilities, halted Stormtrooper movement and recruitment, and shut down countless Imperial Academies all over the Galaxy. Coruscant was also, regrettably, surrendered.”

This was all old news to me. My grandfather was murdered during that conflict by his own son, my uncle. It was due to my mother and now dead father that the defeat was even achieved, a shame I carried to this day. A shame I was prepared to remedy.

“Though, from the ashes of the Galactic Empire, the First Order arose, lead by those still loyal to the cause and united under the leadership of Supreme Leader Snoke, who organized the preemptive strike on the fledgling Jedi Order and-“

“And Master Ren.” Jami said definitively, cutting Hux off.

Hux slammed his mouth shut, looking as though he swallowed something sour.

“Yes, the Knights of Ren played a pivotal part in the downfall of the Jedi Order, but without the Supreme Leader’s guidance and-“

“And Master Ren,” Jami insisted, leaning back in her seat and crossing her arms. “The Supreme Leader’s Apprentice.”

I could see a Hux’s neck begin to flush, the deep red color peeking out from beneath his high collar. He cleared his throat and I smirked triumphantly to myself. If he was looking to get Jami to answer to him, he was far too late.

“Indeed,” Hux gave through gritted teeth. “With the destruction of the rising Jedi Order, we stood at the precipice of greatness.”

Jami stared at Hux’s back as he turned away to resume his pacing, a smug grin playing across her features.

I knew First Order history wasn’t Jami’s favored training exercise. But if we were to get her fully on our side, we needed to get her on board with the cause. This wasn’t as simple as the old wars between Jedi and Sith, or even the Empire and the Republic. The First Order was much more restricted in its abilities. Especially now that Hux had shown our hand and effectively fucked it up.

Even with our main enemy obliterated, the First Order was on the defensive. The destruction of the New Republic emboldened people to the Resistance cause, and we were without Starkiller Base. It would take more than Jami becoming an exceptional Force-user to sway the tides back into our favor.

Jami listened to Hux’s dull presentation without further interruption. After he finished, he walked towards the chair Jami was seated in, leaning in close to speak something to her in a hushed tone. My stomach twisted in an unfamiliar emotion. Hux needed to back off if he knew was was good for him.

Jami stood abruptly, causing Hux to step backwards to avoid being struck by Jami’s rising figure. Jami was glaring at him, and I could feel the fury rolling off her. She bowed slightly before turning on her heel and stalking towards me.

“Master Ren.” Jami growled, but she stayed where she stood.

She was already so obedient. She obviously wanted to leave the command center as soon as possible. Hux was looking on with open disdain, clearly displeased with how his move had worked out. Jami was practically vibrating with anxious energy. Testing the limits of Jami’s obedience to me was a game I never grew tired of playing.

“Jami.” I answered flatly.

Jami bowed slightly.

“Did you thank the General for the lesson?” I asked seriously, trying to hide my amusement.

Jami stood stock still, trying to avoid what she thought I was going to order her to do.

“No, Master Ren.” Jami responded sullenly.

I remained silent, merely turning away from the general, the command center, and Jami to walk briskly down the hall. It was several seconds before Jami began to follow. Like a give a shit if she’s respectful to Hux.

Today, we would give a progress report before Snoke. Our training together had been productive, and a great success. Jami caught on to everything I taught her so quickly, everything from meditation, to Force manipulation, to combat. Jami still followed behind me without speaking, and I smirked to myself. This training thing was easier than I thought it would be with Jami.

Everything was easier with Jami around.

Hux was more restrained around her, so easily flustered in a way he hadn’t been before Jami’s arrival. And Snoke seemed in brighter spirits for the first time since the loss of Hux’s beloved Starkiller. And Jami. So blindly loyal, unquestioningly obedient, utterly enraptured with my every lesson since I first felt her embrace the dark side.

There were guards posted outside the conference chamber, and the wordlessly opened the doors for us. I didn’t acknowledge them as I strode past them. Jami followed suit.

Snoke’s projection was already waiting for us, and I felt myself fill with a familiar anxiety. As much as I respected and admired the Supreme Leader, being in his presence always set my nerves on edge. His favor blew so hot and cold of late, I found myself constantly on edge around him.

I walked confidently inside, trying to remind myself that I was doing exactly as Snoke had instructed. Jami’s progress was timely and promising. I had nothing to fear. I kneeled before him, and I could see Jami mimicking me from the corner of my eye.

“Kylo Ren,” Snoke boomed. “Jami Obarel.”

“I have brought her to you as requested,” I stated. “I believe she is ready for a crystal.”

Snoke leaned forward slightly in his flickering seat, his eyes trained on Jami’s bent head.

“Tell me,” Snoke commanded. “Have you felt it?”

Jami didn’t react at first, and it took me shoving her slightly for her to look up and acknowledge Snoke.

“The flame?” She asked lamely. “Yes.”

Snoke seemed pleased.

“Ren, you’re dismissed,” Snoke ordered. “I have much I must discuss with Jami in private.”

I rose to my feet, swallowing my anger as best I could, and stalked out of the room. What could Snoke possibly want with Jami, at this early of a stage? I am a capable teacher! I’ve taught her everything Snoke instructed me to teach her! I’ve begun her indoctrination! How could he possibly be upset with me?

When he gets what he wants, he'll crush you.

I shook the words away. They were as worthless as the man who spoke them. The Supreme Leader knows what’s best. I had to trust him.

That didn’t mean that I didn’t take out my frustrations out of the walls of Hux’s precious ship. I was forced to pace outside the chamber, stewing until the doors opened. Jami walked out, her face devoid of any obvious emotion.

“The Supreme Leader is going to give me a stone,” Jami said flatly. “It’s en route to our ship now. Until then, I’m to work on my powers with the Force.”

I nearly struck her. How dare she give me orders? I answered to Snoke alone. I glanced over Jami’s shoulder into the chamber, but it was dark. Snoke had gone without even really speaking to me. My stomach churned uneasily.

“Fine,” I recovered smoothly. “As the Supreme Leader desires.”

I was going to make Jami regret humiliating me.

~

“Again!” I barked, after Jami failed yet again.
Jami never seemed to warm up to the cloak she was given as part of her clothes she received. She threw it to the floor of the sparring chamber. She was to be practicing Force manipulation, which she was becoming more and more adept at with each passing day. But she still wasn’t strong enough to best even the scavenger, let alone me.

I moved to swing my saber at her, and froze to the spot. I didn’t fight back, allowing Jami to practice maintaining the hold. Her quick progress concerned me. It took me longer to get this decent at forcing my will over others. Jami and I had only been at it for a few days. Granted I wasn’t fighting back with my full strength, but her control was tight and strong. She just lacked the true conviction it required to cast even a strong rudimentary Force Net.

‘That’s it, Ben,’ Uncle Luke encouraged. ‘Just focus a little harder. I know you can do this.’

It wasn’t until I felt Jami’s presence in my mind, bringing up memories of my childhood, that I threw off her hold over me. I almost didn’t notice it, her touch was so light and benign. But that was a memory I had banished long ago. Perhaps she didn’t even mean to come into my thoughts, but it was unacceptable nonetheless.

I reached out to her, halting the question that was forming on her lips. Her body stiffened then started to shake as I tightened my grip over her.

“Ben?” She rasped, fighting against my influence.

I forced her into unconsciousness.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been and forever and this is short. I know. I've already berated myself about it. But it's going to start getting easier and better to write here shortly. So it'll be longer and more frequent soon. Okay? Okay.