Uncover

Date Night

Friday had passed by somewhat quickly and Friday afternoon, I was sitting in my living room with my best friend, Sophie who also were the one whom I worked within the arena, just watching some television and talking. She had gotten to my apartment earlier that morning and by the afternoon I had yet to find out why exactly she was there. Nevertheless, I guess a best friend is there just to drop by at whenever.

I had known Sophie for four years so far, yet it seemed like we had known each other our entire life. I just recently had her watch hockey and by this point, she had just started working in the arena with me. I had to admit that I was amazing sharing this with her.

“Should we go get some chips and dip for tonight? I kinda wanna binge watch some movies or something.” Sophie said with a smug smile, making me laugh loudly.

“Yeah sure let’s go watch some, but only on one condition,” I said the last part with a little smile on my lips, “we’re gonna watch Glee.”

To my big surprise, Sophie agreed to watch Glee and soon we were out of the door, heading towards the grocery store. Fortunately, the store was only a couple of minutes of walking away, so within ten minutes we arrived there. We picked up a basket and started finding whatever we needed.

“Hi Andrea.” I heard someone behind me say. Both Sophie and I turned around to see who it was and I saw it was Tyler and one of his teammates Scott, standing there.

“Hi guys, what’s up?” I smiled back at them.

“We heard you have a date tomorrow. Are you excited?” Tyler smirked and wiggled with his eyebrows the way that only he can do. I noticed that his eyes moved from me to Sophie.

“Of course. How can I not be? He’s better looking than you.” I winked at him. “By the way, this is my best friend Sophie. Sophie this is Tyler and Scott, they both play hockey.” I smiled when I introduced my best friend to the two sweethearts.

I noticed that Sophie eyed Tyler with a smile on her face, after she had nicely greeted both of the men. I could not help but smile at Sophie and Tyler as well when I saw how he smiled at her.
We talked for a little bit more before Sophie and I moved on and found the last things we needed. We paid for our things and went back to my apartment, and shortly after we turned on the television again. We spend pretty much the rest of the day and night to watch TV-shows and movie, and caught up on what has happened in our lives.

***


Saturday came by faster than I wanted it to. Sure, I was excited for my date but at the same time, I was a nervous wreck. It was not my first date, not that I had gone on many, but none of my dates had actually turned out to become something serious—not even close to serious unfortunately.

Yesterday I had received a message on Facebook from Darcy, where we texted a little back and forth and decided to meet in a city near the one we lived in. The easiest would of course have been to stay in our town, but it was such a small town with nothing to do. By meeting up in the other city, it also made it possible for us to go for a walk in a beautiful place after our café/restaurant visit.

We had decided to meet up and 6:30 PM, so when the clock stroke five I decided to start getting ready for the date. – I took a nice warm shower and when I finished I dried off my body, before I put on my new, and unworn, tight fitting black dress. It was just a regular black dress, which just barely reached the knees, and then it had a minimalistic but very nice flower-lace detail just around the chest and neck area.

I took a look at myself in the roof-to-floor mirror in the hallway just outside my room, before I nodded an approval to myself. I could not help but laugh at my own action and with that, I went back to my room, to out on a small amount of mascara along with my favorite matte lipstick.

Checking the time, I saw that the time 5:59PM so I went to find my shoes, which I had decided to be a pair of black wedges with no extraordinary details. I quickly put on my favorite pair of earring and bracelet, a black and gold flower shaped earring along with a black, gold and wooden colored bracelet. I grabbed my black Michael Kors cross-body bag and put my phone in it. Grabbing my cream-colored blazer, I put it on and quickly snatched my keys and sunglasses from the desk, before leaving the apartment and locking it up.

I went to my matte black Skoda Octavia well technically, it was the car of my mother’s boyfriend but he was kind enough to let me lend it. I dropped my bag on the passenger’s seat, plugged in my phone and put on Braveby Sara Bareilles before I started the engine and started driving towards my date.

However, I had yet to know that this was going to be the worst date I had ever been to.
About twenty minutes later I had parked the car near the café, which Darcy and I had decided to meet in front of. When I walked around the corner towards the café, the time had just turned 6:25PM. When I could see the café, my eyes quickly darted to the man standing patiently in front, looking around with his hands in his jeans pockets. I smiled at the sight of him and speeded up my walk to get to him faster. All of sudden I was probably excessively eager for this date, but I guess it was because Darcy seemed to be an amazingly sweet person.

“Hey Darcy!” I said with a big smile on my face as I neared him.

He quickly turned around so that he was facing me, and an adorable smile appeared on the sweet lips of his, “Hey Andrea!” he said as I stopped in front of him. His smile never left his lips as he looked at me and pulled me in for a quick hug. “You look beautiful.” He added as he placed a gentle kiss on my cheek.

I could feel my cheeks heat up, nevertheless I thanked him and told him that he sure did not look bad either. He wore a simple pair of black jeans along with a white dress shirt and a leather jacket on top. To say it the least, he looked absolutely amazing.

After complimenting each other a little more, we went inside the café to get a table. We were asked whether we wanted to sit indoor or outdoor, but since the weather was incredibly nice, we decided to get a table outside. We were both handed a menu card and started looking in it right away. This was far from my first time on this café so I was in no need to look for what I wanted. Instead, I started to pretend that I was looking at the menu, but instead I tried to look at Darcy without him noticing.

“I can see that you’re looking you know?” Darcy said and sent a smirk in my direction. “Not that I mind though.” He quickly added.

I could feel the heat rise from my neck to my cheeks. “I couldn’t help it, it is a good view.” I tried to shoot back the comeback quickly, still doubting whether it was a good one or not.
“Oh that was a good one!” Darcy laughed and I soon joined in. Before we could say anything else, the waiter stopped by our table and was ready to take our order.

“I will have a Kridt’s steak with baked potatoes and sour cream,” Darcy said, “oh and I would like to offer you some wine, but honestly I don’t really like it.” He added and looked at me while his cheeks slowly got a more and more red shade to them.

I could not help but laugh a little at him, “Don’t worry about it at all. I don’t like it either so feel free to order whatever you want.” I smiled and with that, he ordered a large Tuborg draught beer.
“I will have a Kridt’s steak as well but I would like to have it with French fries and grilled vegetables. I would like a medium sized Carlsberg draught beer. Thank you” I smiled and the waiter who gladly took our orders, before grabbing the menu cards and left us alone.

Shortly after the waiter came back with our beers, and to follow the rules of the café, we were told to pay for our food and drinks right away. I was about to pull out my credit card, when Darcy told the waiter that he would be paying for all of it. I would have to have a serious talk with this man later.

“So Darcy, tell me something about yourself.” I said softly, really wanting to know more about him.

“Hmm as I have mentioned earlier I am twenty-nine years old and I was born and raised in Winnipeg, Canada. However, I’ve spent most of my time in America and this is actually my first time in Europe. I have three brothers who all play hockey, and my dad played hockey at the university but now he works as a teacher and part time hockey coach. My mom is a real estate agent but she will soon retire though. I guess that’s about it,” Darcy smiled, “let me know something about you.”

“Well I’m twenty years old and born and raised here in Denmark, but not here in Vojens though. I was born in a litter larger town about an hour away from there though. I have one older brother called Sonny who will soon turn twenty-eight. He has two kids called Samuel, who are two years old, and Sakarias who are nine months old. I don’t talk to my dad anymore so there’s only my mom, who works as a Social councilor. I myself are studying Fashion Design at the moment, in the city where I grew up.” I smiled.

“How come you moved here?” Darcy asked.

“I wanted to move away from home and my mom lives about twenty minutes from here. Along with that, I also wanted to be close to my best friend, without living in the same city as her. She lives in this city actually,” I said referring to the city we were on a date in. “And well then this city was just perfect.”

We continued talking a lot about our lives and a lot of other stuff and somewhere in between our talk, we had gotten our food. To be honest it was all really nice and so was Darcy. I could not believe how lucky I had been, to have a man like Darcy ask me out on a date but no matter what, I was truly grateful. During the dinner, we had just talked about almost everything between heaven and earth. We talked about things like, why he decided to move so far away from his family and home country.
At this moment, we had decided to buy ourselves another beer, before we would go for a small walk around the park. I had almost begged Darcy to let me pay for our beers, but he would not let me and simply just stood up to go inside to order and pay.

Somewhat shortly after, he came back outside with two beers in his hands, and placed them on the table. He kept standing up and not really making any sign for sitting down. “Are you not going to sit down?” I asked him softly.

“Of course but hey when I went in there to buy our beers, I actually saw an ex-girlfriend of mine who are now a really good friend. Would you mind if I just go back in there and say a quick hello to her?” he asked somewhat dumbfounded.

I have to admit that I was somewhat shocked that someone would just leave his or her date, to talk to an ex-girlfriend, but I could not find the courage to say that to him. I simply just nodded my head and smiled to him, saying that it was all right, and with that, he went inside to talk to his ex.

***


A quick hello had so far turned out to take a little over a half and over, and for Darcy to sit down next to this girl and laughing almost all the time. I sighed deeply to myself, how could I have let myself go with this? How could I be stupid enough to say okay to him saying hey to his ex-girlfriend, when we I were on a date? I just could not believe it. The date up until a half an hour ago had been good, and had honestly been everything I could even ask for. However, it was more of a disaster date than a pleasant date, because it sure did not look like he was planning to join me sometimes soon.

I pulled out my phone to check the typical social apps, when I heard my name being called from close around. I was not sure, if whoever called was calling for me, or if the person were calling for someone else. My wonder ended when a small group of people stopped up next to me. I looked up and smiled at the people who looked somewhat familiar but I could not remember who exactly they were.

“Andrea, right?” the most familiar looking person asked.

I looked once more at the person asking and then it hit me, it was Henrik, the guy I bumped into in the arena when I went to give the coaches some paperwork. I smiled and nodded my head, “Yeah that’s me. You’re Henrik, right?”

“The one and only.” He smiled, “Do I remember correctly, you’re on a date with Darcy today?” he asked with a soft smile.

I sighed and stopped myself from rolling my eye to the fact that these guys talk to each other about everything, “You’re right. If you can even call it a date anymore.” I said with a small smile on my face.

Henrik along with whom I guess was his friend, looked at me confused. “Why? What’s up?”
“A little over a half an hour he went inside to talk to his ex-girlfriend. And well I haven’t seen him since.” I could feel myself getting more and more annoyed as I talked about it.

The group of guys looked at each other with wide eyes, before Henrik said something in a very low voice to one of them. Henrik turned around so he was facing me again, “You’re coming with us. You shouldn’t be sitting here on your own because he has the need to talk to a memory of his life.”

I sighed and thought a little about it, what could it hurt? I did not really feel like going home and be alone right now. ”Okay, but no matter what I think he should have his jacket.” I said and pointed to the chair across me, whereon his jacket hung.

One of the other guys grabbed the jacket and went on to go in and give it to Darcy, “Thomas don’t give him shit now. Just give him the jacket and leave.” Henrik said with a pointed look, making this ‘Thomas’-guy walk into the café to find Darcy. “That was Thomas, but I guess you already know who he is. His last name is Spelling.” Henrik said with a grin on his face.

I could feel my cheeks heat up as I nodded my head slowly. Thomas was one of the hockey teams’ most valuable Danish players. Back in 2012 New York Rangers drafted him in round five, but he was looking for more ice-minutes than he had had the year before in Sweden, so he decided to sign with SønderjyskE which is the team both him and Henrik plays for now. Also it is the team, who belong to the arena where I work.

“Yeah. I know who he is.”

Henrik turned his side to me and looked at the small group of people behind him. “You might even know who these guys are as well. This is Morten, Søren, Martin and Marc.” He said and pointed to each guy standing there. – I then remembered where I recognized these guys from, because they were all hockey players.

I greeted all of them and soon Thomas came out of the café again, looking a little pissed but we all decided to ignore it. I was introduced to Thomas and we then decided to walk towards whatever place we were going. Not only had Henrik’s adorable smile saved me from a horrible date, but what I did not know was that the same smile, would be the one to give me the best spontaneous date I had ever had.
♠ ♠ ♠
Andrea's date outfit.