Status: Active

Fighting Fate

Chapter Three

The plane was now soaring through the air, which made my first flight jitters surpass. I still couldn't believe I was chasing my dreams. I leaned my head back and dozed off.

I woke up to the attendant over the loud speaker asking the passengers to buckle our seat belts and prepare for landing. California here I come.

Once we had landed and docked up, they began to let us off. I grabbed my carry-on and made my way to the luggage claim. I found my two large suitcases and my violin case.

I was hoping Emily would show her stupid face as I tried to juggle all these bags by myself. She was supposed to meet me as soon as my plane landed. But I couldn't be too mad, she is the reason I'm here. She moved here about a week ago to take an internship at a small record label. She heard about another record label that needed a violinist for a local band so she mentioned me.

“Hannah!” I heard from afar, I stopped and looked around at the unfamiliar airport, “Over here!” I turned back around and there stood my best friend with her hair dyed electric blue.

“What the heck did you do to your hair?” I couldn't help but smile.

“It draws good attention to artist so they think I'm artistic and unique. All for work,” She sighed taking one of my suitcases from me.

“What ever helps you, Em.” I rolled my eyes and laughed following her to the exit.

________________________________________________________


My first night in California was fun. Emily showed me around to what she was already used to. Nothing fancy, just the closest Starbuck's and Forever 21, you know the essentials. We didn't go partying simply because my audition was today and I didn't want an awful hangover.

“Okay, I just got off the phone with the band's manager. She won't be there so the actual band will be auditioning you,” Emily came in explaining in her pajamas, “she said if you can make it by noon that would be great. The sooner, the better. So get up and get dressed so we can be early.”

“Gotcha,” I stood up walking to my two suitcases wide open in the small studio. I pulled out couple things and tried to tie the whole outfit together, “how about this?” It was my favorite pair of skinny jeans with a red checkered button up that I left open with a black tank-top underneath.

“Love it. Casual and cute,” Emily encouraged while getting dressed herself. Then I grabbed my brush and ran it through my hair just to put it in a messy bun. We eventually were both finished after putting on deodorant then our favorite perfumes and searching for our shoes. I just stuck with my all black vans while she went with my white converse.

“Come on,” She motioned as I bent down to pick up my violin case.

________________________________________________________


“I'm so nervous,” I stated looking at my best friend as we walked up to the studio door, “Like I’ve played for several hundred people in the orchestra, but it was with a large group.”

“You're going to be fine, Hannah. You are a beast on that thing,” Emily stopped, then stared at me with her hands on my shoulders. At times I couldn't stand her, but I was always thankful for her.

I sighed and nodded my head as we walked into the large metal building. There was a desk occupied by man about our age sitting there typing on a computer. He saw us and held up one finger to signal for us to wait.

“Hannah Mosely?” The man asked with a feminine voice, I nodded my head confirming, “Room seven. They're already in there waiting for you, Hun.”

“Thanks,” I tried swallowing the large lump in my throat but it just wouldn't go away. We walked down the long hallway until we walked up to the second to last room. Emily patted me on the back, and gave me a little word of encouragement but I was so nervous I couldn't recite it if my life depended on it.

Once I walked in my eyes had to adjust because it went from light to dark so quick. I noticed there was some men sitting around a sound board. My eyes finally adjusted and I recognized everyone of them.

Allen stood up real quick his mouth was open and eyes wide, “What- Why- What are you doing here?” he looked upset but confused at the same time.

“I came for an audition?” I answered raising my instruments case up.

“No, you're supposed to be in Louisiana. Not here,” He shook his head and put his hands on his hips while looking down at the ground.

“Yeah, well. I'm just trying to follow my dreams,” I was completely confused, why was he even here.

“I think it's best if you leave,” He was still looking down. The room was so quiet.

“Oh, okay.” Was all I could say, my eyes were starting to fill with tears. So I turned around and reached for the door knob.

“No, wait. That's not fair,” He stated looking up, I turned around to make eye contact with him, “Can you guys give us a second?” He turned around motioning to the others.

They all stood up and walked passed me. This was one of the awkwardest moments in my life. After they had all left, he turned around and found a spot to sit. I followed him sitting as far as possible.

“I wasn't hundred percent honest with you in Louisana,” He was sitting at the edge of the chair with his elbows on his knees, leaning forward, “My name is Matt Sanders. M. Shadows to our fans, I'm a lead singer in a metal band. This metal band,” He motioned to the large poster with himself and the others on it.

“I-” I started but he cut me off.

“We use fake names and fake stories, to make sure we don't get any crazy groupies. Because, well, we're all married,” I felt my stomach sink.

“Wow. That's crazy,” I was in complete shock.

“Yeah, I'm sorry. If we can put all this past us, then you can still audition. I know you said it was your dream and I don't want to take away from that.” He was being so selfless. I could totally get over this. It was just one drunken night, after all.

“Yeah, totally. What happened again?” I smiled trying to end the tension.

“Awesome. Let me get the guys and then you can start,” He smiled back with his dimples beaming at me. Man, those dimples.