Status: Active

Fighting Fate

Chapter Four

Val was walking around the house, cleaning up the toys that our sons had dragged out before she put them down for a nap. I had just gotten home from the studio after being there for a couple hours. The band offered Hannah the spot, she was the best that we heard, also she was able to show us that she played the violin along with the piano and multiple other string instruments, which would benefit if we wanted to play around with other sounds.

“So she was pretty good, huh?” Val asked, but since my imagination was playing memories of Hannah and I at the New Orleans diner, I had to ask her to repeat herself.

“What? Sorry I was thinking about something,” I lied turning my attention towards her on the loveseat across from me.

“Hannah, was she a good musician?” she repeated.

“Oh yeah, she knows more than just violin so we figured she would be a better asset to the album,” Musically she may be better, but it's proving to be hard to act like nothing ever happened between us.

“Awesome, so practices start tomorrow morning?” I felt like she knew something was up with all of her questions, but there was no way she could.

“Yeah, I feel like I just got back and now we're having to go at it again. I just want to be home with you guys,” I felt guilty, I had never thought about another girl after being physical with them. None of them could even take a candle to my wife and kids. That was until Hannah.

____________________________________________


I parked my truck in front of the large metal building, and opened my truck door. I tried to hurry because it was pouring down raining. I noticed a car parked couple spots from me. It was Hannah she saw me and got out of her care, then came running with a jacket over her head. As she ran her foot hit a small pot hole and her whole body hit the pavement.

“Crap, you okay?” I had to shout it out at her because the rain was coming down hard on the building.

“Yeah,” she whimpered. I bent down to help her up, her nose was scrunched. She wrapped her arm around me so she could stand up, “Thank you. Ow!” She cried aloud as she tried to put pressure on her foot.

“You sure you're okay?” I wasn't good at comforting people, but I kept my arm under hers to help stable her.

“I think my leg is broken,” She cried not putting any pressure on her leg, “I'll call Emily to come get me,” she hung her head down and sniffled.

“No, I'll take you. Come on,” I picked up her petite body, careful of her leg, and put her in the passenger seat of my truck.

“You don't have to do this,” she looked up at me, soaking wet now. Her eyes looked so soft.

“It's fine,” I smiled her way, then shut her door so I could get out of the rain and get her to the hospital. I made my way to the driver's side and slid in, while shutting the door.

Hannah had her head down, and tears rolling down her cheek. I thought she may be upset or hurting or something.

“No reason to cry. I mean unless you're hurting, then you have all the reason in the world. I'm sorry, I'm really bad at things like this,” She smiled a small smile but still kept her head down.

“I'm fine,” She mumbled, while wiping her tears from her face. She looked up with her cheeks all red watching the road, “I'm sorry you have to do this.”

“I want to. So don't worry yourself,” I smiled over at her, she smiled back then looked back at the road.

____________________________________________


“So Ms. Mosely, it looks like you have a severe torn ligament in your knee. Which would make sense to why it hurts when putting pressure on your leg. It's going to take about four to six weeks of not walking on it and keeping it propped up whenever you can.” Hannah put her head in her hand, I could hear her sigh. I looked back and forth between the nurse and Hannah, then noticed Hannah had tears coming down her face again.

“Can we just have a moment please?” I asked the nurse, she of course nodded and left the small room, “Hannah, you okay?”

“I just-” she sniffled with her head still in her hands, “it was such a mistake to move here.” She took her hands off of her face and wiped her tears away.

“I don't think so,” Maybe it was premeditated, oh well. She looked over at me making eye contact.

“You know, I'm trying to not like you. Trying to forget everything,” I was surprised she said it, cause she had been totally okay with it, “but I can't get you out of my head. That sounds so immature,” She chuckled and looked up at the hospital ceiling tiles.

My body felt like it caught on fire, I don't know what was controlling my body but I closed the two foot gap from the hospital bed and from where I was standing. She turned her head towards me as I walked up to her. I put my hand behind her head and intertwined her almost dry hair in my fingers and planted my lips on hers.