You Loved Me Once

109: Look Up

Brushing her fingertips across the intricate material of the dress she wore, Alba flicked her attention towards the mirror which stood ahead of her, her blue eyes sheepishly studying her appearance. It was quiet, with the others distracted by getting themselves ready, Alba had been pretty much left to her own devices, and she was a little grateful for it, even if she knew that it wouldn’t last too long, she was happy to get a second to herself before people began to fuss over her.

Studying her reflection, she offered it a small grin before a low whistle sounded from behind her, causing her to wheel around to look at Eva who stood in doorway, a warm grin on her face. “You clean up nicely, Allie” she teased.

Alba shook her head. “Aren’t you supposed to be getting ready?” she posed softly.

“We are ready” Eva countered “Everyone is waiting for you downstairs” she added as she stepped towards her friend, gently straightening the veil which was pinned to her hair.

“Is Isabella OK?” Alba mumbled softly.

“She’s fine” Eva smiled “Your mother is taking care of her. She looks adorable in the little dress you chose for her” she enthused as she moved to fix a couple more little details of her friend’s dress.

Alba nodded her head quietly.

“You do want to do this, don’t you?” Eva posed as she moved to stand ahead of Alba, her head tilted slightly.

Alba nodded. “I am sure, Eva” she murmured “It’s just…I didn’t think that we’d get this shot and I am worried that maybe he’s only going along with it because of me” she added shyly. She felt a little silly, for months, Lionel had been as excited, if not more so, than Alba had been about the prospect of getting married, but still she worried. She didn’t want him to go through with it just to change his mind somewhere down the line.

Eva shook her head. “It’s just a little cold feet, Alba” she mused “Everyone gets them. The night before I got married, I even packed a suitcase just in case I woke up in the morning and wanted to run. But you should know that your boyfriend, he’s doing this because he loves you, Alba, because he’s always loved you, and I don’t think you have a thing to be scared of. You love him, don’t you?” she pressed.

Alba nodded. “You know I do” she mumbled shyly.

“Then we should probably get downstairs. I told your mother that she had 10 minutes to fuss over you before we needed to go and I don’t want her to yell at me” Eva grinned.

Alba quirked a half smile, something which made Eva wrap an arm around her, squeezing her softly. “This is what you’ve been waiting for, Alba, and I assure you, you won’t regret it” she insisted quietly before she led her out of the room and towards the living room which fell quiet as soon as they set foot in it.

“Please don’t go silent on me” Alba babbled softly, her cheeks turning a light shade of pink.

Annabella shook her head. “You look amazing, Alba” she breathed softly.

“You’re sure?” Alba posed “Because you don’t look too sure. We have time, I can go and…”

“Alba, you look spectacular” Shakira cut in, offering her a warm smile.

Alba offered her an appreciative smile before her father stepped into the room. “We need to get moving” he noted softly.

Annabella nodded her head before she carefully handed Isabella over to Eva, allowing her to pull Alba into a soft hug. “Congratulations, sweetheart” she murmured softly.

Alba smiled softly and hugged the older woman tightly, trying to ignore the butterflies that twitched a little in her stomach.

~#~
“Who tied your tie?” Celia fussed as she stood ahead of Lionel, undoing the slightly crooked knot which had been tucked beneath his collar.

Lionel simply rolled his eyes, allowing her to fuss for a moment longer. She had been at it for a while, since she had showed up at his home with the rest of his relatives in tow, his mother hadn’t stopped fussing over him, and after being yelled at more than once, he had merely opted to go along with it. He knew why she was fussing, like him, she was more than a little nervous, and if fixing his tie for the 3rd time was what calmed her down, he was all for it.

“I’ve just got a text from Shakira” Gerard mused as he stepped towards his friend “They’re about 2 minutes away which means you and Oscar ought to get up there” he quipped with a gesture towards the altar.

Lionel nodded his head. “I probably should” he noted softly.

“You’re sure?” Celia posed softly, straightening his jacket.

“Certain” Lionel noted firmly.

Celia flashed him a small smile before she pressed a kiss to his cheek, mumbling about being proud of him before she moved away to find her husband.

Lionel watched after her for a second before he flicked his attention back to Gerard, shaking his head as the defender offered him thumbs up.

~#~
Staring up at the building ahead of her, Alba took in a deep breath, trying desperately to squash the sensation of nausea which lingered in her stomach.

“You could still run” Eva offered as she moved to hand Alba the bouquet of flowers she had picked out “It would make it one each” she added.

Alba shook her head. “I’m not going to run” she insisted quietly “I just wish I felt less sick” she added.

“The pregnancy probably doesn’t help” Eva quipped quietly, causing Alba to look at her, her blue eyes wide.

Eva snorted. “You’ve never been good at keeping secrets from me, Alba” she teased “You took the pregnancy test in my bathroom and left it in the bin” she added.

“Eva, you can’t tell anyone else” Alba babbled softly.

“I have no intention of telling anyone” Eva mused “Leo knows?” she posed.

“I told him last night” Alba confirmed with a little nod.

“Well, congratulations. I am sure Isabella will make the best big sister” Eva smiled.

Alba offered her a soft smile in return before her father appeared beside her, something which made Eva press a kiss to her cheek. “Congrats, Alba” she fussed with a grin before she moved to collect Isabella, quietly moving inside of the building.

Alba took in another breath before her father took her hand, squeezing it softly. “I am proud of you, you know” David mumbled as they took a few steps towards the door “I know I’ve been a pain when it comes to him, but I am glad that you’re happy, Alba. I worried for a while that it might not happen” he mused softly.

Alba offered him a small smile before she gripped onto his hand, something which made him smile. “Look up” he whispered softly.

Alba offered him a slightly odd look before she lifted her stare, a small sigh of relief falling out of her mouth as she spotted Lionel watching her with a small grin on his face. “You’re going to be fine” David murmured softly.

Alba offered him a soft grin before they reached the front of the room, allowing him to place her hand into Lionel’s. “You’re going to look out for her now, aren’t you?” David posed quietly.

Lionel nodded. “You don’t have to worry, sir” he enthused softly.

David offered him a slight smile before he shook his hand, moving to press a kiss to Alba’s cheek. “Congratulations, sweetheart” he murmured gently before he stepped away.

“You ready?” Lionel posed softly, his hand gently squeezing Alba’s.

Alba looked at their hands for a moment before she nodded, knowing that she was more than ready.