You Loved Me Once

110: Better Late Than Never

“It is my pleasure as the best man to introduce to you all, for the first time as husband and wife, Lionel and Alba” Oscar grinned as he stood at the top table, his eyes fixed on the couple who, as they had been since they’d shared their first kiss as a married couple, were wrapped up in their own little world. It wasn’t a surprise, with the slight tension that had filled the morning of their wedding day alleviated, neither Alba nor Lionel could seemingly will themselves to stop smiling, and it pleased those around them who, though they’d never admit it, had been a little dubious as to whether they’d see the day that Alba and Lionel made it up the aisle.

Alba, who was listening to Lionel mumble into her ear, lifted her head, offering Oscar a small smile before she reached for Lionel’s hand. “You ready?” she posed quietly.

“Do I have a choice?” Lionel countered, pressing a kiss to her cheek which made a few of the guests which sat close to them coo, snapping a few pictures of the pair. “You already know I would like nothing more than to get out of here” he added.

Alba offered him a little eye roll before she tugged on his hand, something which made him grin as he led her towards their seats. It felt different, the idea that they were actually married was a slightly surreal notion, but it was a relief. As much as he didn’t want to admit it, a small part of him had worried that Alba wouldn’t show up and he doubted he had been more relieved than the moment she had walked into the venue with her father.

Squeezing her hand a little, he offered her a warm smile before he allowed her to step ahead of him, allowing her to embrace Oscar and Eva quickly before she moved away to chatter with her parents. “You look absolutely made up” Eva grinned as she moved to stand beside him.

“I am” Lionel confirmed softly, a bashful smile on his face “She looks amazing, doesn’t she?” he added, his dark eyes not even slightly moving away from Alba who was talking animatedly with her mother.

Eva admired the doting expression on his face before she shook her head, pressing a soft kiss to his cheek. “Congratulations, Leo” she mused softly “I am glad that the two of you put this back together again and I wish you both all the happiness” she added before she ducked away, allowing Lionel’s mother to appear beside him, Isabella sat on her hip.

Lionel smiled a little at the sight of the little girl and moved to take her from his mother. “She’s missed you” Celia mused softly.

Lionel nodded his head and moved to press a kiss to Isabella’s head, causing her to grin up at him.

Alba, who’d moved away from her mother and father, smiled a little at the sight of her new husband and their daughter before she stepped towards them, greeting Isabella with a small kiss on the forehead. “Hola, princesa” she murmured softly, smoothing out the little girl’s dark hair.

Lionel watched his wife for a moment before he ducked his head, stealing a soft kiss which was greeted with a small ripple of applause from the guests which sat around them.

Alba giggled softly at the sound before she pulled back, a soft blush on her cheeks that made Lionel shake his head. “Have I mentioned how beautiful you look today?” he mused as he carefully pulled out her seat for her.

“You have” Alba noted, offering him a warm smile “But I never tire of hearing it” she added impishly.

Lionel offered her a soft smile before he pressed a kiss to her head, moving to take the seat at her side. It had been a little tense, as silly as it was in retrospect, Lionel had spent a lot of the morning worrying that something would go wrong, but he was pleased that he had been proved wrong. He was pleased that things had gone off without a hitch.

~#~
“I can’t quite believe that you have a husband, Alba” Jess grinned as she stepped up beside the blonde woman, pulling her into a warm hug. It had been a pleasant evening, between the wonderful meal that they had been served and the speeches that had been given, Alba had enjoyed herself greatly, and whilst she was glad that the party was in full swing, she was counting down the moments until she and Lionel could depart for the night. Nothing appealed to her more than the idea of being able to remove the shoes from her feet and lay down for a little while.

“You’re not the only one” Eva quipped, offering Alba a teasing grin.

“If you can find a husband, Eva, it must be easy” Alba quipped, sipping on her glass of water.

Eva let out a playful scoff before she peeked over Alba’s shoulder, smiling a little at the sight of Lionel who was sat talking with a few of his friends, his eyes not once moving away from Alba. “On a serious note, Allie, I am pleased for the two of you. It wasn’t so long ago that you could barely talk to the guy and now look at you. You’re a married woman” she enthused.

Alba nodded. “It’s an odd thought” she mused.

“Well you better get used to it” Jess grinned “Your new husband is on his way over” she added before she grabbed Eva’s hand, pulling her away as Lionel reached Alba’s side, his arm settling around her waist.

“Hola” Alba mumbled.

“Hola” Lionel mused softly.

“I thought you were with your friends” Alba mused as she turned to look at him, her arms settling around neck.

“I was” Lionel confirmed “But I thought about it and realized that you and I had not had our first dance yet. Do you think your feet can handle that?” he posed softly.

“I think so” Alba smiled.

Lionel offered her another warm smile before he stepped away from her, offering a hand back to her.

Alba happily took the hand of his that he offered out and follow him onto the dancefloor, smiling at the soft sound of music that filled the air. Offering him another smile, she wrapped her arms around his neck, allowing him to sway her gently to the music. Lionel marveled at her, admiring the warm smile which had been fixed on her face all day before he pressed a kiss to her forehead, something which made Alba cuddle a little closer to him. “I love you” she mumbled softly.

“I love you” Lionel repeated warmly.

Alba smiled gently at the words and rested her head on his shoulder, affording him the chance to press another tender kiss to the side of her head. It was going to take a little getting used to, even if they had been together for a while, the idea that they were married was still new, but Lionel had no doubt that they’d warm to it, even if it had come along a few years late.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)