You Loved Me Once

16: Let Me Go

“I’m sorry we missed you last night” Eva mused as she placed another one of Alba’s bag onto the trolley. It had been a quiet morning, after the festivities of the night before, Eva had wanted to enjoy something quieter before she and Oscar headed out on their honeymoon, and a morning spent packing Alba’s bags had fitted the bill, even if Alba had been quieter than usual, she had enjoyed spending a little time alone with her best friend.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there to see you and Oscar off” Alba noted as she fished her boarding pass out of her bag “I hope the pair of you enjoyed the party” she added.

“We did” Eva enthused “Even when Oscar’s madre got a little tipsy. We had a lovely time” she grinned.

“I’m happy for you” Alba smiled “And when you get the wedding pictures back, you should send me a copy. I’d love to see them” she enthused.

Eva grinned brightly and nodded. “Of course” she enthused “I will see you soon right?” she added.

“You and Oscar are more than welcome to visit me in Barcelona” Alba mused, adjusting her carry-on bag on her shoulder “I’d love to see more of the two of you” she added.

Eva smiled widely and stepped towards her friend, pulling her into a tight hug. “Thank you for coming out here, Alba” she fussed softly “I know that it has not been the most fun month for you with Leo and everything, but it means a lot to me that you came, and that you stayed around. I don’t think I could have done it without you” she fussed softly.

“You’d have coped” Alba insisted gently “But I am happy to have been here, Eva. Congratulations, Mrs Garcia” she fussed with a grin.

Eva blushed a little at the sound of her new surname before the announcement system cracked into life above their heads, calling for Alba to start checking in. “I’ll see you in Barcelona soon, yes?” the blonde posed.

“Of course” Eva grinned, squeezing her once more “Adios, Alba” she added.

Alba flashed her a smile before she gripped onto the trolley, steering it away and towards the check-in area. It was early, with the wedding out of the way, Alba had been insistent that she got on the earliest flight back to Barcelona, and she was relieved to be going to home. It had been a long month, too long for the blonde, and she was pleased to be heading home, even more so since it meant she was unlikely to run into Lionel again.

It had kept her up, after their talk the previous night, Alba had spent a lot of time thinking and overthinking what he had said, but she was pleased that she was going home, knowing it made it unlikely that they’d run into one another again. She had gotten good at it, even though Barcelona wasn’t the biggest city, she had gotten good at avoiding places where she was likely to run into him, and it reassured her. The last thing she wanted was to see more of him.

Checking her bags in, she clutched onto her boarding pass and passport before she padded towards the queue, messing with the strap of her carryon bag.

“I should have guessed you’d be on the first flight out”

Alba, who’d drifted off slightly, startled, her blue eyes glancing over her shoulder at Lionel who stood behind her, his own passport and boarding pass in his hand.

“What are you doing here?” she muttered.

“I have to get home” Lionel noted “I’m due back in training on Monday ahead of the new season and I figured it would take me a couple of days to readjust” he explained.

Alba nodded quietly, moving another pace forwards in the line.

Lionel watched her and let out a small sigh. “You’re really not comfortable being near me, are you?” he posed lowly.

“Do you blame me?” Alba countered, trying to keep her own voice low “You seem to be of the opinion that I should just fall at your feet, something I have little intention of doing” she insisted gently. She was tempted, the idea of being with him did give her butterflies, but she had little intention of giving in, especially after such a half-hearted attempt to convince her that he wasn’t over her. She didn’t want him thinking that he could say the word and she would come running.

“I merely want a chance, Alba” Lionel argued quietly “One shot at showing you that I could still make you happy” he insisted.

“You had your chance and you messed it up” Alba countered moving to hand her boarding pass to the clerk “Give me one good reason why I ought to give you another” she added.

Lionel sighed.

Alba shook her head. “You don’t deserve another shot, Lionel, and you know it” she muttered before she took her pass back, moving to board the plane.

Lionel allowed the clerk to check his pass before he followed after her, capturing her elbow softly as she made her way towards the plane.

“Why can’t you just let me go?” Alba complained softly “For 5 years, you left me alone, and now all of a sudden you’ve changed your mind? How is that fair, Messi?” she spat, her blue eyes hard and angry.

“Alba…”

“I worked my ass off to get over you” she spat “So what right do you have to tell me that all of a sudden, you want me back?” she hissed.

“I have no right” Lionel noted gently.

“Then leave me alone” Alba spat “I don’t want you in my life anymore, OK?” she hissed before she ripped her arm from his grasp, making her way towards the plane.

Lionel watched her go before he shook his head. He knew it wasn’t that easy, after spending a month with her, it was not as simple as putting her out of her mind and letting go of her again, and he knew that he faced a fight. Alba was stubborn, she was still hurting, and whilst he had no right to expect anything from her, he doubted that he could just let it go again. She was what he wanted and even if it did take a long time, he was going to prove that she still wanted him too.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)