You Loved Me Once

24: I Can Be

“Are you nearly done?” Lionel posed softly as he tapped his foot against Alba’s shoulder, his dark eyes peeking at the screen of her laptop which rested in her lap. It was rare, with Lionel having had the morning away from training and Alba only having worked a half day, they’d spent almost an entire afternoon together, but the argentine was a little irked with his girlfriend who’d spent almost half of their time together on her laptop.

“I’ve got one more email to send and then I am all yours” Alba replied.

“You said that 5 emails and 20 minutes ago” Lionel countered as he sat up a little, repositioning himself so that he sat behind her “I thought you had this afternoon off?” he added as he carefully brushed the blonde hair away from the side of her neck, allowing him to press a soft kiss against her skin. He didn’t do it often, with Alba still a little uncomfortable around him, he didn’t want to push her, but he wanted her attention.

Alba shook her head. “I do” she muttered as she shifted away from him a little “But my boss got sick and asked me to cover for him. I need another minute or so” she added.

Lionel offered her a little look before he nodded, conceding slightly. It was a little tense, after their conversation a few days previous, Alba seemed a little quieter than before, but Lionel knew that he couldn’t force the issue, not if he wanted things to work out between them. He knew that she had every right to be hesitant, after what he’d done, he was a little amazed that she was even talking to him, let alone dating him, but he was a little perturbed. He merely wanted things to be good between them.

“You know, you don’t have to stay” Alba mumbled as she typed something else “I can call you later” she added.

“I want to stay” Lionel replied “I’m busy for the rest of the week and I figured I would get to see you for a while” he insisted.

Alba nodded her head and moved to shuffle the laptop off of her lap, allowing her to turn to look up at him. “You really want to spend your day cooped up in here with me?” she posed softly.

“I can’t think of a better use of my time” he mused “You’re going to let me stay?” he added, his expression soft.

“I supposed I can put these emails off until you go home” Alba agreed, a small smile on her face.

Lionel returned her smile eagerly before he ducked his head, stealing a soft kiss that Alba was more than happy to return. “You know, I’ve grown to like that” she mumbled as she pulled away, stealing another couple of quick pecks.

“I’m glad” Lionel enthused, brushing the blonde hair out of her face “I intend to do it a lot more” he added.

Alba stared at him briefly before she fell into a fit of giggles, causing him to tilt his head. “You’re so cheesy” she squeaked, laughing brightly.

Lionel smiled. “You’ve always liked that about me” he insisted “You’ve always been a sucker for a romantic” he added.

Alba offered him a soft smile before she leant into him a little more, stealing another kiss. Lionel smiled at the feel of it, his fingers nestling in her blonde hair before he pulled back, his thumb softly brushing over her cheekbone. “You have no idea how glad I am that you were Eva’s maid of honour” he enthused softly.

“I have a feeling I know how glad you were” Alba smiled “As much as I don’t want to admit it, I was a little glad Oscar insisted on you” she admitted gently.

“You were?” Lionel posed, sneaking another soft kiss.

“In retrospect” Alba mused “At the time, I was more than pissed” she insisted.

Lionel shook his head. “You know you loved it really” he teased softly as he carefully dropped one of his hands, messing with the hem of the shirt she wore.

Alba watched his hand, a small squeak falling out of her mouth as his fingertips brushed the skin beneath her shirt.

Lionel watched her expression closely before he tugged on her shirt a little. “You don’t have to do anything” he assured her softly “On your terms, remember?” he mumbled as he moved his other hand, using it to pull her palm against his lips.

Alba nodded softly. “I think I need more time” she murmured gently “But, if you wanted to stay here tonight, I might not be against it” she added, not missing the slight look of disappointment on his face.

Lionel nodded his head, forcing the best smile he could muster. “OK” he agreed.

“Leo…”

“I get it” Lionel mused, his expression a little hard to read.

“You don’t look like you do” Alba muttered as she pushed herself up slightly.

“Alba…”

“I need time, Leo” she insisted “I need to know that I can trust you again and it’s going to take a little more than 8 weeks for that to happen. I’m sorry that things aren’t moving as swiftly as you’d like, but last time I checked, you weren’t the one who had the heart broken” she snapped before she stormed out of the room, closing what Lionel assumed was her bedroom door with a thump.

Allowing the loud noise to echo around him for a moment, Lionel closed his eyes, knowing that he had to make it up to her.

~#~
“Alba?”

Alba, who was sat on her bed, looked up, her blue eyes narrowed on Lionel who stood in the doorway, a tray of food clasped in his hand.

“I’m sorry” he muttered gently “I know that this has to happen on your terms, Alba, and I was wrong to try and push it” he insisted.

Alba merely glanced at him, not making a sound.

“I’m the one who messed us up” Lionel insisted as he stepped a little deeper into the room, settling the plate of food he’d prepared for her on the end table “And I am the one who needs to let you handle this whatever way you see fit. I just want to make this work, Alba” he added, settling down beside her.

Alba looked at him slightly. “You really hurt me” she muttered “When you left, you hurt me, Leo, and it is going to take more than a couple of months for me to stop seeing that moment every time I look at you. I want to make this work, you’re undoubtedly the person I want to be with, but you can’t expect me to just forget it, Leo” she added, messing with his hand shyly.

“I know” he murmured “And I am so sorry” he added.

Alba offered him a little look before she shook her head. “If you can’t be patient with me…”

“I can be” Lionel interjected “I promise, I can be, Alba” he insisted, squeezing her hand softly.

Alba nodded her head quietly, something which caused him to lean forwards, kissing her gently.

Alba squeaked a little at the contact, but didn’t move away, something which made him smile gently. “You really are used to that, aren’t you?” he teased gently.

Alba smiled. “I’ve missed it” she fussed shyly.

Lionel offered her another soft smile before he leant in, kissing her lightly. He knew that he had to be patient, as that day had proved, the more he pushed Alba, the further he pushed her away, but he was determined.

With her was where he wanted to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)