You Loved Me Once

25: I Wish You’d Called

“Yes, I did watch your game” Alba smiled as she pinned her phone against her shoulder, her hands neatly folding the clothes which sat ahead of her. It had been a few days, after their minor fight, both she and Lionel had agreed to take a little time out, but with Barcelona having just wrapped up a 4-1 victory over Levante, Alba wasn’t surprised by his call. It was a habit of his, when a game went well, he liked to call her to talk about it, and Alba found it a little comforting. Things were a little tense, their moment a few days previous had set back their progress, but Alba was pleased by his call. Part of her had worried that he might avoid it.

“You did?” Lionel posed, his tone a little dubious.

“Ok, maybe I didn’t ‘watch’ it, but I promise you, it was on” Alba insisted “And I know you scored, twice” she enthused.

Lionel laughed softly. “You don’t have to watch” he noted gently “I know you’re not the biggest fan” he added.

“I know that” Alba smiled, placing her laundry back into the basket “But I want to. You played well” she enthused.

“Gracias” he mused softly “I’m not entirely happy with the performance, but we got another 3 points” he enthused.

“Only you could be disappointed by scoring 2 goals” Alba teased as she moved towards her bedroom, settling the freshly folded clothes down beside the wardrobe. It was comfortable, talking to him, and Alba found herself slightly relaxed by it. For the previous couple of days, the most she had gotten was a text here and there and hearing his voice was comforting. Part of her had been concerned that he would decide that they weren’t worth the effort.

“I could have gotten 3” Lionel pointed out.

“Or you could have gotten none” Alba countered “You played amazingly, Leo, 9 times out of 10 you do, and you should be proud” she enthused.

“Gracias” he enthused.

Alba smiled. “Am I likely to see you tonight?” she mused as she padded back into the living room, taking her seat on the couch.

“Are you free?” Lionel posed, the sound of his own movements echoing through the phone.

“I am most nights” Alba pointed out.

Lionel chuckled. “I should be able to get over there” he enthused “I’ve just got a couple of press interviews and then I should be over. I’ll grab something to eat on my way over?” he posed.

“It sounds good to me” Alba enthused.

“OK, I will be with you shortly” Lionel mused.

“I’ll see you then” Alba agreed before she hung up, stowing her phone in her pocket. Resting back into her seat a little, Alba contently closed her eyes, relishing the silence before the sound of the doorbell echoed, causing her to sit up. It wasn’t usual, other than Lionel and a few visits from Jess, very few people came to visit her, and the knock at the door had caught her a little of guard. She hadn’t been expecting to see anyone.

Straightening her shirt a little, she pushed a hand through her blonde hair before she pulled the front door open, her blue eyes widening a little at the sight of the brunette who stood on the other side of the door, a grin on her face. “Alba!” she grinned.

“Calista” Alba babbled out “What are you doing here?” she spluttered.

Calista grinned. “Can’t a girl want to visit her big sister for no reason?” she mused.

“O…Of course she can” Alba squeaked “I just…normally you’d call first” she babbled out. it wasn’t the first time, with Calista having moved to New York to be with her boyfriend and Alba living in Barcelona, the younger sister had developed a habit of dropping by, but she usually announced her visit with a call or a message, something she had failed to provide in that moment.

“I know” Calista mused “But Riley’s on business and he’s out for the night and I figured, given that you tend to spend your time alone, you wouldn’t mind me showing up unannounced. It’s been months, Alba” she grinned.

“It has been” Alba squeaked gently.

“You’re not happy to see me?” Calista quipped as she stepped inside, pushing the door to her sister’s apartment closed.

“Of course I am” Alba squeaked “I am just a little surprised” she insisted.

Calista shook her head. “I’ve missed you, Alba” she enthused “I can’t believe that it’s been almost 6 months since I last saw you” she fussed as she stepped into the living room, tossing her coat onto the back of the couch.

Alba, who followed along behind her, nodded. “I know” she murmured softly “But wouldn’t you rather come back tomorrow when we could spend the day catching up? I’m free tomorrow” she insisted. She was pleased to see her sister, it had been months since they were in the same room, but still she knew that she had to get rid of her. If Calista clapped eyes on Lionel, then there was no more hiding what was happening between them and that wasn’t something that Alba was quite ready for her.

She had hoped to keep their secret a little longer.

“Are you trying to get rid of me, Alba?” Calista quipped.

“Why would I be trying to do that?” Alba posed.

“I don’t know” Calista commented “But you seem jumpy, even for you” she mused.

Alba shook her head. “I am just a little surprised, Callie, you tend to call first and your visit is a little sudden” she insisted softly.

Calista shrugged. “It was a spur of the moment call. Riley’s out all night and I didn’t fancy sitting a hotel room by myself. Am I intruding?” she posed.

Alba opened her mouth to refute her, but stopped, the sound of a knock at the door echoing.

Calista cocked an eyebrow. “You were waiting for someone?” she posed.

“No” Alba squeaked “It will probably just be a neighbour. I’ll get rid of them. There is food in the kitchen” she babbled before she darted out into the hall, pulling the door open to Lionel who grinned at her.

“I bought your favourite” he mused, offering the bag of takeout to her.

“You have to go” Alba squeaked.

Lionel frowned. “You invited me over” he pointed out.

“I know” Alba mused softly “But that was before Callie showed up” she added.

“Callie?” Lionel posed “As in…”

“Her baby sister” Calista interjected as she stepped up beside Alba who dropped her head.

Lionel swallowed. “Hola, Calista” he mused.

Calista shook her head. “You should probably come inside” she noted “I think we probably need to have a conversation” she added before she turn on her heel, padding back towards her living room.

Lionel watched after her before he offered his hand to Alba, trying his best to offer her a small smile. “It’ll be OK” he mumbled as he pulled her hands to his lips, kissing the skin softly “We knew this was coming” he added.

“I know” Alba squeaked “But that doesn’t mean that I am any more ready for it” she protested gently.

Lionel nodded his head softly in agreement before he kissed her hand once more, trying to reassure her softly. He knew that it was a big moment, Calista was the first of many people to find out about them, but he wanted to be optimistic. He wanted to show Alba that they were stronger than she thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)