You Loved Me Once

26: We Need Time

“So, which one of you is going to tell me what is going on here?” Calista posed as she settled on Alba’s couch, her blue eyes fixed on her sister’s hand which was held onto by the footballer. It had been quiet, for almost 5 minutes, neither Alba nor Lionel had said a word, and Calista wanted them to. She wanted to know how he could have possibly convinced her sister that getting back with him was a good idea.

“That’s not obvious to you?” Alba posed softly.

“I want to hear it from you, Alba” Calista mused.

“Callie” Alba warned.

“You took him back?” the younger sister posed, her blue eyes glancing at Lionel who’d stepped back a little, hiding slightly behind Alba who shifted uncomfortably on the spot.

Alba nodded. “It’s early days” she murmured softly “But we’re taking our time and trying to make it work, Callie. I know he’s not exactly our family’s favourite person…”

Calista scoffed. “That’s an understatement. As soon as papa finds out, he’s going to go ballistic” she mused.

Alba nodded. “I know that” she mumbled “And I will cross that bridge when I get to it, but right now, Callie, I need to know what you’re thinking” she mused as she stepped forwards slightly. She knew that out of her relatives, Calista was likely to be the one who took the news of her and Lionel’s reconciliation best, but still Alba worried. Lionel had hurt a lot more than her when he’d ended things and Alba worried that her sister, who’d been the one to fly out and look after her, would reject their relationship.

Calista looked between the couple before she shook her head. “I’m not surprised” she muttered.

“You’re not?” Alba squeaked.

Calista shook her head. “That you two ended up together again? Not even slightly. Alba, you and him, it was inevitable” she mused.

Alba frowned.

“You thought I’d be upset?” Calista posed, a slightly amused grin on her face.

“More upset than you seem to be” Alba noted “You’re really not upset?” she squeaked.

“I am upset that he hurt you, Alba” Calista quipped, her eyes glancing up towards Lionel who looked sheepish “But I know that you were happiest when you were with him and that you’ve not been entirely happy since he left. I want you to be happy, Alba, and for some reason, that idiot over there makes you so” she enthused softly.

Alba shook her head. “I’m sorry for not telling you” she mumbled.

Calista laughed, offering her sister a soft shake of the head. “I don’t care about that” she insisted “All I care about is my big sister and her being happy. Leo?” she posed.

Lionel, who’d shrunk back a little, looked up. “Huh?” he posed.

“You’re going to make her happy, aren’t you?” Calista posed softly. She knew that it didn’t mean very much, Lionel had once promised to marry her sister, but still she wanted to hear him say it. She knew that he would get yelled at enough when the news of his relationship with Alba reached their parents.

“I want to” Lionel enthused as he stepped forwards, his hand gently taking Alba’s “Callie, I know that I have no right to expect you to trust me…”

“I don’t trust you” Calista murmured.

“Callie…”

“He hurt you, Alba” Calista noted, her attention fixed on her sister “And whilst I am happy that you’re happy, I can’t just pretend that that didn’t happen. I don’t trust him, Alba, not after last time, and I am impressed that you can” she noted gently.

Alba offered her sister a look before she sighed, turning into Lionel slightly who wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

Calista shook her head. “You two make one another happy, you always did, but surely you know that it isn’t going to go down well. You have to tell papa yet, Alba” she pointed out.

“I know” Alba murmured “And I will do, in my time. Callie, I need you to keep this to yourself” she insisted softly. She knew that they couldn’t avoid it forever, eventually, Alba was going to have to tell her parents that she and Lionel were back together, but she wanted more time. She was confident that as soon as the word ‘Lionel’ past her lips, her father would be on a flight and Alba wanted to avoid it for a little while. She wanted to enjoy her relationship for a little while before people started to stick their noses in.

Calista offered her sister a look. “You want me to lie?” she posed.

“No” Alba insisted “Just keep it to yourself. We don’t know if this is going to work, Callie, and there is no sense in telling people only for it to fail” she added.

“We just need some time” Lionel added gently, his hand skirting up and down Alba’s side softly “It’s new, Callie, us being together again and we want to know what we’re doing before we tell other people, most specifically, your padre” he explained.

Calista looked at the pair, her eyes darting between the two of them before she sighed. “OK” she conceded gently “It’s not my secret to tell anyways, but you will have to tell them at some point, Alba. It’s not like you can hide it” she insisted.

“I know” Alba agreed softly “But for a little while, I want to enjoy this, Callie” she murmured, cuddling into Lionel’s side a little more.

Calista nodded. “I understand that” she murmured “Besides, the pair of you look adorable” she quipped, a small smile pulling at the corner of her mouth.

Alba’s cheeks warmed a little, something which made Lionel kiss her temple.

“I should go and find us something to eat” Alba squeaked as she wiggled away from him “Callie, can I get you anything?” she posed over her shoulder as she skittered towards the kitchen.

Calista shook her head. “I should probably head off. I am clearly intruding on date night” she fussed as she pushed herself to her feet.

“You’re more than welcome” Lionel enthused “It’s been a long time” he added.

Calista nodded. “It has been” she murmured, her tone a little sharp.

Lionel lifted an eyebrow. “Callie?” he posed.

“You put one foot wrong, Lionel, and I will ensure that she ends it with you” Calista muttered as she leant a little closer to him, her tone sharp and warning “You broke her once, and I was the one who put her back together again. I don’t want to do that for a second time” she added.

Lionel blinked a little.

“You might have her convinced that this time will be different, but I am not so sure. I’m not going to let you hurt her again” Calista insisted.

“I’m not going to hurt her, Callie” he murmured, listening to the sound of Alba in the kitchen.

“You promised that last time” Calista pointed out.

Lionel sighed.

“I know you care for her, Leo” Calista noted “And I know she loves you, even if she doesn’t say it, but I am not just going to take your word for it. You hurt her, badly, and I am going to need time to trust you with her. She’s my big sister and I hated seeing her so hurt” she insisted gently before Alba stepped back into the room, two plates of food held in her hands.

“You sure that you don’t want to stay, Callie?” Alba mused.

“I’m sure” Calista replied “I’ll see you soon, eh?” she grinned.

Alba nodded. “I’d love that” she enthused.

Calista offered her a grin before she ducked out of the room, offering Lionel another firm look. She knew that it was Alba’s choice, she was old enough to decide for herself who she wanted to be with, but still Calista was worried. Lionel had made a similar promise before and had failed, something Calista wasn’t convinced he wouldn’t do again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to shadowpb, Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)