You Loved Me Once

36: You’re Doing OK

“How could you not tell me?”

Alba, who was sat at her desk, looked up, her blue eyes widening a little at the sight of Jess who stood in the doorway, her tablet held in her hands. “Tell you what?” Alba posed.

“You know what” Jess commented “You’re dating a certain Argentinian footballer” she added as she stepped a little deeper into the room, settling her tablet on the desk ahead of Alba who eyed it briefly. She knew it had been coming, after the match a few days previous, it was only a matter of time before pictures of her and Lionel circulated, but she had been hoping that Jess wouldn’t catch on so quickly. As much as she liked the ginger woman, the last thing she wanted was to spend time answering questions about a relationship that she was still learning about.

“You heard about that?” Alba mumbled, messing with the pen that she held in her hand.

Jess rolled her eyes. “These pictures aren’t exactly subtle, Alba” she quipped, scanning through the few pictures that had been captured “He doesn’t seem to be able to keep his eyes off of you, let alone his hands” she added, a slight grin on her face. The pictures were sweet, in all of them, Alba was grinning at Lionel and he was grinning at her and Jess was happy for her friend, even if she was a little disappointed that Alba had kept her relationship from her, she doubted that she had seen Alba so happy before.

Alba rolled her eyes. “He was not too subtle the other night” she mused, her hand subconsciously rubbing her shoulder, catching the mark that Lionel had left just below the line of her shirt that morning.

Jess smirked. “So, he’s the flower sending idiot?” she quipped.

“Something like that” Alba commented “It’s a little complicated” she added.

“So simplify it” Jess shrugged as she sat down, kicking her feet onto Alba’s desk “I’ve got time” she added.

Alba rolled her eyes. “We dated before” she mused “It didn’t end fantastically and right now, we’re just trying to figure things out” she explained simply.

Jess nodded. “You’re happy?” she posed.

Alba’s cheeks warmed a little as a fond smile appeared on her face, something which made Jess shake her head. “I’m taking that loved-up smile as a yes, you know” she teased.

“It’s still a little strange” Alba noted “But the last few days, they’ve been good and I think we’ve turned a bit of a corner” she enthused softly, her smile still playing at the corner of her mouth.

Jess shook her head. “I’m glad that you’re happy, Alba” she mused with a warm smile “And I can’t wait to meet Lionel” she added impishly.

Alba shook her head, a grin on her face. “And what makes you think I am going to let you meet him?” she teased.

“You will” Jess shrugged “Or I will steal your phone and call him. I am sure that he’d love to know about the Christmas party last year” she grinned.

Alba squeaked, her cheeks tinging red. “Jess” she warned.

Jess merely giggled before she stepped out of the room, something which made Alba shake her head. She had thought she would be more apprehensive, with her relationship out in the open, she had been sure that she would feel more concerned, but she didn’t, something which relieved her a little. She didn’t want to worry, she didn’t want to feel concerned, she merely wanted to enjoy the honeymoon phase of her relationship.

~#~
“How was work?” Lionel posed as he stepped into Alba’s living room, settling two glasses on the coffee table whilst she placed food onto their plates.

“It was alright” Alba noted “But my receptionist now wants to meet you. She found those pictures online” she commented.

“I know the ones” Lionel quipped “Someone had pinned them to the front of my locker” he mused as he sat down, gratefully taking the plate of food she offered out to him.

Alba tilted her head. “They did?” she posed.

“I was expecting it. When one of us starts seeing someone new, the others insist on teasing them” he explained with a small shrug “I am merely surprised that it took them this long” he added.

“Half of them were convinced you’d made me up” Alba pointed out with a grin.

Lionel shook his head, something which made her giggle softly. “They really did like you” he mused softly after a moment of quiet “I’m actually a little amazed by how smitten they were by you” he added.

“I’m not loveable?” Alba countered, her eyebrow cocked.

Lionel rolled his eyes, not missing the smile that played at the corner of her mouth. She had been doing it more, after she’d told him that she loved him, she had been smiling more and more, and Lionel adored seeing it, even if she was still intent on being careful and taking their time, he had grown more and more accustomed to her smile. “You know that you’re immensely loveable” he quipped “But the guys, they wouldn’t stop talking about you and I was a little surprised. You really made an impression” he commented.

Alba nodded. “I enjoyed meeting them too, but I am in no hurry to repeat it. One step at a time, Leo” she mused softly.

Lionel smiled. “I know” he noted as he leant over, stealing a piece of food from her plate and replacing it with one from his “I am merely happy that we’ve made it this far, Alba. A large part of me thought I’d have found a way to mess it up by now” he quipped.

Alba shook her head. “You’re doing a good job” she enthused “A brilliant one” she grinned.

Lionel smiled at her gently before he leant over, kissing her cheek softly which made her grin, a sight he was coming to adore more and more.

~#~
Blinking a little, Lionel picked his head up, his dark eyes peeking at the clock which stood on Alba’s end table. It had been a quiet night, after dinner, they’d settled in to watch a film before they’d moved to Alba’s bedroom, and he was a little surprised to be awake at just gone 5 in the morning. Ensuring that Alba was still safely asleep, he was still for a moment, listening to the quiet apartment before the small thumping struck up again, earning a frown on his face. Carefully, he moved away from Alba, dropping a kiss on her bare shoulder before he slipped back to his feet, retrieving his shirt from the floor.

“Where are you going?” Alba mumbled as she turned over, her blue eyes peeking at him sleepily.

“There’s a noise” Lionel commented.

“It’s probably just the neighbours” Alba yawned “The husband works early morning shifts and he’s always up…” Alba trailed off a little as the thumping appeared once more, causing her to frown. “Is that the door?” she posed.

“It’s 5 in the morning” Lionel quipped, handing over Alba’s shirt to her “Who would want to visit you at 5 in the morning?” he protested.

“I have no idea” Alba quipped as she pulled her shirt on.

Lionel offered her a little look before he padded towards the bedroom door, jumping slightly as Alba took his hand. “Calm down” she quipped.

Lionel shook his head gently before he padded out into the hall, carefully pulling the door open.

“Mama?” Alba squeaked, her blue eyes fixed on her mother who stood outside.

“Alba” Annabella sighed “We’re sorry to drop by so early” she added.

“We?” Lionel posed.

“We” David repeated, stepping up behind his wife “I should have guessed you’d be here” he spat, his eyes narrowed on the footballer who looked up at him, his dark eyes wide.

Lionel merely sighed.

He had hoped to avoid Alba’s parents for a lot longer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)