You Loved Me Once

45: Here’s To A Better Year

“You know, you look stunning”

Alba, who was placing her phone into her bag, smiled a little, her blue eyes peeking at Lionel who stood in the door way of her bedroom, his dark eyes scanning her frame appreciatively. “You let yourself in?” she posed.

“You gave me a key” Lionel quipped, showing off the cut piece of metal “Did you still want me to knock?” he posed. It had been a sudden move, after arriving home in Barcelona, Alba had provided him with a key to her apartment, but he was a little touched by the gesture, even if it was merely a response to his giving her a key, he was pleased that she felt as though she could trust him with it.

Alba shrugged. “I could have been in my underwear still when you walked in” she quipped “It would have been nice if you’d knocked” she teased.

Lionel rolled his eyes. “I’ve seen you in less than your underwear, nena” he pointed out.

Alba smiled. “I should be ready in a second” she mused as she moved to collect her purse from the side, stowing it in her bag “Are you sure that you want to come with me?” she added, offering him a sideward look over her shoulder. She knew that he would take it in his stride, for months, he had been on at her to introduce him to her friends, but she wanted to make sure that he knew what he was walking into. People were excited, Jess in particular, and she didn’t want him to regret skipping out on New Year’s Eve with his friends in exchange for a night with hers.

“You don’t want me to?” Lionel quipped, admiring her happily. She looked good, she had always been beautiful to him, but there was something about her that night, something he couldn’t quite place.

“I’d love you to” Alba commented “But I am sure that you’d rather be anywhere else tonight than in my stuffy office with my slightly drunk friends” she pointed out.

Lionel shook his head. “My only other offer was from Gerard which would be pretty much the same. I want to go, Alba, I want to meet you friends” he insisted with a small smile.

Alba offered him a slightly unsure look before she nodded. “Alright” she conceded gently “But remember I offered you the chance to get out of this when my friends are bombarding you with questions” she pointed out.

Lionel smiled. “What do you think is going to happen?” he posed as he leant towards her, settling his arms around her waist “They’re you friends, Alba” he added.

Alba nodded. “They are” she agreed “But you know me, I am not the most talkative or sociable girl and whilst we are friends, they don’t necessarily know a lot about me. They’re probably going to ask you all sorts of things and I don’t want them scaring you off” she mumbled softly.

Lionel smiled up at her gently before he lifted a hand, carefully cupping one of her cheeks in his palm. Alba leant into his hand a little, a soft smile on her face. “Alba” he murmured “I am crazy about you” he noted.

Alba closed her eyes, quietly enjoying their embrace.

Lionel smiled. “Your friends can be as odd as they want, they can ask me all sort of questions, but it’s not going to change that. I love you, Alba, and whilst I don’t say it nearly enough, you know it too. You’ve already put up with my friends, and their girlfriends, and my parents, so now it is time for me to meet your friends, something I want to do” he enthused, his thumb skimming contently over her skin.

“You’re sure?” Alba posed, blinking her blue eyes open.

“One hundred percent” Lionel smiled before he pulled his hand back, checking the time on his watch. “We’re already running behind” he added.

Alba nodded before she leant down, kissing him lightly. “I can’t think of a time we’ve ever been on time” she pointed out as she took his hand.

Lionel smiled and followed after her, dropping a kiss on her shoulder, mumbling something about it been a trait of theirs.

~#~
“You’re the famous flower sending idiot”

Lionel, who’d been sipping on his drink, spluttered slightly, his eyes peeking up at the ginger woman who stood ahead of him, her arm wrapped around Alba’s who looked a little sheepish. “I’m what?” he posed.

“The flower sending idiot” the ginger woman smiled “At least that’s what Alba used to call you. She tends to just smile now when I ask about you. I’m Jess” she grinned.

Lionel, who’d struggled to keep up with the pace of her words, nodded. “Jess” he mused “It’s nice to meet you” he added, offering her a hand.

“And you” Jess smiled “Alba doesn’t tend to say too much about you, only that things are going well. Have you known her long?” she pressed as she moved to sit down in the seat opposite Lionel.

“You could say that” Lionel smiled with a look up towards Alba who rolled her eyes, mouthing something about needing another drink “We’ve actually known one another since we were born. I’m all of 3 hours older than she is” he quipped.

Jess tilted her head. “I’ve worked with her for 5 years” she noted “How come she has never once mentioned that she knew you, let alone grew up with you?” she asked.

Lionel offered her a look before he fixed a smile on his face. “Our first attempt at dating didn’t exactly pan out” he mused as vaguely as he could. He knew why Alba hadn’t mentioned it, after they’d broken up, he imagined she had tried to steer clear of each and every mention of him, and he didn’t want to divulge too much to her assistant who was likely to prod far too much for Alba’s liking “We tried to date when we were younger and it didn’t work out. I guess Alba doesn’t like to talk about it given who I am” he mused, wrinkling his nose a little.

Jess nodded. “That sounds like Alba” she mused “She’s quite quiet. I was a little amazed when I found out about you” she added.

“She’s an amazing woman” Lionel enthused with a warm smile “I care for her greatly, Jess” he added.

“I can see that” Jess agreed “And I feel a little odd about asking this of a man who has known her as long as you have, but she’s…she’s not the most outgoing and I would like to ask you to be careful. She’s been so happy lately, she’s glowing, and I would like it if it stayed that way, something I think lays largely with you” she mused with a soft look. She didn’t want to meddle, Alba had always been intensely private and she didn’t want to stick her nose in, but she felt the need to ask. Alba had been so much happier since he’d appeared in her life and Jess wanted to see it stay that way.

Lionel sipped on his drink before he smiled. “You have my word” he mused softly “She’s quite special to me, Jess, and I intend to keep her happy. She’s lucky to have you looking out for her” he quipped before he excused himself, moving towards Alba.

Jess watched him go, smiling a little as he wrapped his arms around Alba’s waist, earning a soft peck on the cheek.

She could see why Alba was so smitten.

~#~
“10…9…8…”

Lionel smiled as the New Year’s countdown echoed around them, his arms sat happily around Alba’s waist. It had been a pleasant night, Lionel had spent a lot of it telling stories about Alba as a child and listening to people fuss over how good at her job she was, and he had to admit that he was pleased that he had agreed to go with her. It had turned out to be a lot more fun than he’d been expecting.

“7…6…5…4…”

Smiling a little, he pressed a kiss to the top of Alba’s head, something which caused her to turn around, offering him a warm smile. “Happy New Year” she mused as the countdown reached 0, causing a cheer to erupt through the room.

Lionel smiled. “Happy New Year” he returned as Alba placed her arms around his neck “Here’s to a better year” he mused, pecking her nose softly.

Alba shook her head, quipping about him being cheesy before he ducked down, sneaking a warm kiss that made her cheeks turn a little pink. Pulling back, his brushed a fingertip against the reddened skin before he pulled her into a hug, something she didn’t hesitate in returning. “We’re going to have a good year, you know” he mumbled.

“What makes you so sure?” Alba quipped, leaning back slightly.

Lionel shrugged. “It’s just a feeling I have. This year, it’s going to be good for me and you” he grinned.

Alba shook her head. “Whatever you say” she mused “I am going to go and find Jess and say goodnight. Will you find my jacket for me?” she posed.

Lionel nodded and watched her walk away, a grin on his face.

He had a feeling that that year would be a good one for both him and Alba.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)