You Loved Me Once

48: Let It Go

“You’re going out with Shakira?”

Alba, who was smoothing out the front of her sweater, smiled, not missing the slight surprised tone that her boyfriend’s voice carried. It wasn’t like her, Alba had never been a fan of spending time with the other WAGs, but after Shakira had invited her out for a day of shopping followed by lunch, she hadn’t been able to resist. It wasn’t common, although she had friends, Alba’s social life was practically non-existent, and she wanted to make the effort, something Shakira appeared more than happy to help with. “You’ve been talking to Gerard” she commented.

Lionel nodded. “He told me that you were going for a girly day out, something I told him was likely to be wrong. I don’t think you’ve been on a girly day out since we started dating when we were 16” he quipped.

“There’s a first time for everything” Alba quipped “And besides, Shakira has Gerard looking after the boys for the day and she wanted someone to go out with. I was a little touched that she thought of me” she admitted. It was still uncomfortable, Alba still wasn’t quite used to being the girlfriend of Lionel Messi, but if there was one person who’d endeavoured to help out, it was Shakira. The singer had made a point of being kind and Alba, who was still trying to get reacquainted with the idea of being the girlfriend of Barcelona’s famous number 10, was grateful for it.

“She likes you” Lionel mused as he leant against the door frame “Though, I can’t think of one person who doesn’t like you. There’s something about you” he teased with a smile.

Alba rolled her eyes briefly before she moved to pull on her coat, something which made Lionel step towards her, ensuring that the coat was wrapped around her properly. “You know that I love you, don’t you?” he mumbled as he moved his hand, brushing the blonde hair out from beneath her collar.

Alba tilted her head. “I do” she noted “Any reason you’re pointing it out right now?” she posed.

Lionel shook his head. “I just don’t think I tell you enough” he commented, offering her a small smile.

Alba offered him a slightly dubious look before her phone buzzed, pulling her attention to it. “That’ll be Shakira” she mused “I’ll see you later?” she posed softly.

Lionel nodded. “Of course” he grinned.

Alba offered him another smile before she pressed a brisk kiss against his lips, mumbling a soft ‘I love you’ before she moved towards the door.

Lionel grinned at the sound of those three words. He knew that it was only a little thing, he and Alba were acutely aware of how they felt about one another, but he liked to hear it. He found the words reassuring.

~#~
“I can’t quite remember the last time that I had a day to myself” Shakira mused as she flicked through a rack of clothes, her eyes admiring the various pieces. It had been a quiet morning, both Alba and Shakira had been meticulous in what they purchased, but Shakira was merely glad for the company. She liked Alba, even if she was a little quiet, and she had been pleased when she had accepted her invitation. She wanted to get to know the woman that Lionel was clearly smitten with.

Alba, who was checking her phone, smiled. “It must be hard, with two babies to look after” she commented.

“It can be” Shakira mused “But I love it. Seeing those two boys every day is amazing. Did you and Leo ever talk about having a child before?” she posed, her brown eyes narrowed slightly on Alba. She didn’t want to pry, her past with Lionel was Alba’s secret to tell, but she was curious. Gerard hadn’t mentioned a thing aside from the face that there was a past and part of her wanted to know a little more about the relationship, or more specifically the reason that it had fallen apart before.

Alba’s cheeks warmed a little. “We didn’t” she murmured “Although we were together for a while, it simply didn’t feel like the right time. We were too young then and by the time we were old enough, things were pretty close to their end” she explained softly.

Shakira smiled. “He’d make a wonderful papa” she enthused.

Alba nodded. “I don’t doubt that” she quipped “I’ve seen him with his nieces and nephews and I have little doubt that he would be a wonderful papa. He’s kind and thoughtful, and maybe one day we will welcome a little one, but right now? It’s too soon” she mused, her eyes fixed on the rack of clothes ahead of her.

“Too soon?” Shakira posed.

Alba nodded. “I know we have a history” she mused “And I know that we’re good together, but the fact is, we’ve only been dating for 6 months and I worry that if I were to fall pregnant right now, it’d been too soon. We’re still getting used to one another again and I don’t want to have rush that because of a baby. I want to take our time with it, Shakira, and I know that that is something Leo gets” she insisted softly.

Shakira nodded. “That makes sense” she insisted softly “But I don’t think that there is a lot more to get used to, Alba. The two of you are practically living together anyway, you’re almost inseparable when he’s around, and I think that if there is something holding you back, it’s whatever he did last time you two dated. I don’t know what it is, I don’t want to know what it is, but whatever it was, Alba, it’s irrelevant now. You two have an admirable relationship, you’re adorable, and I think you’d be a lot happier if you just let it go” she mused with a warm smile.

Alba offered her a look before she sighed, shaking her head slightly. “It’s not that easy” she commented gently.

Shakira shrugged. “I don’t know what he did, Alba, but I know that that man adores you and merely wants the chance to show it off. If you keep holding onto it, you’ll end up ruining something which is showing all the signs of going the distance” she quipped before she moved to flick through another rack of clothes.

Alba watched her away before she let out another sigh. She doubted it was as easy as just ‘letting it go’.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)