You Loved Me Once

55: Progressing Nicely

Letting out a small groan, Alba dropped her hold on the pile of clothes she held in her hands, a frustrated expression on her face. It was early, like most mornings, Alba had set her alarm for just gone 7 in the morning in order to get ready for work, but after she’d stepped out of the shower, she had padded back towards the holdall she kept at Lionel’s home, not realising that she had run out of clean clothes.

It had been a while, since they’d found out that they were expecting almost 6 weeks previous, Alba could count the nights she’d spent in her apartment on one hand, but she cursed herself for not noticing that she was running low on clothes. It meant that it was more than likely to make her late for work, something which would greatly decrease the chances of her sneaking away without mentioning her impending visit to Cassandra.

“What’s wrong?” Lionel quipped as he stepped into the room, towel drying his hair.

Alba shook her head. “I’ve run out of clothes” she mumbled.

“You packed for about a month, how did you run out of clothes?” Lionel posed as he padded towards his wardrobe, returning moments later in a t-shirt and a pair of shorts.

“I didn’t pack for a month” Alba countered “I packed for a week and I guess that I forgot that yesterday I needed to get back home and pick up some new clothes. I’ve not got anything to wear to work” she complained, a small pout on her face.

“That was a week’s worth?” Lionel teased, moving to pull on a pair of shoes.

Alba rolled her eyes a little, something which made Lionel chuckle. “Pull something on quickly” he noted “I’ve got a little while before training and I can afford to drop you home before I head off” he mused gently.

Alba peeked up at him. “You’re sure?” she posed “I’d hate to make you late or something” she added.

“Alba, it’s fine” Lionel insisted as he knelt down on the ground, pulling the clothes back into the bag “I’ve got time, so why don’t you pull something on quickly and let us get going before I don’t have time?” he posed, offering her a small smile.

Alba smiled back at him gently before she pulled on the first clothes she could set her hands on.

Lionel, who’d moved to zip up her holdall, lifted it onto his shoulder before he lifted his head, smiling a little at the sight of the tiny bump that poked out from beneath Alba’s shirt. It was only small, the little bump was only noticeable when he was looking for it, but he adored seeing it. It was the perfect reminder of the news that Alba was expecting and he loved seeing it, even if Alba did try and hide it away, he had come to love admiring it. “Have you thought about leaving some more of your stuff here?” he posed softly as he took her hand, leading her out of the room.

“More of my stuff?” Alba posed.

“I could give you a little space in my wardrobe and I could make room in the bathroom for your stuff too. I am not suggesting that you move in, Alba, but I don’t think it would hurt if you left more of your stuff around here. Since we found out about bump, I think you’ve spent about 5 nights in your own home” he pointed out softly. He knew where her mind had gone, as soon as the words had fallen out of his mouth, Alba’s expression had startled a little, but he wanted to reassure her. He merely wanted to ensure that she was comfortable whilst she stayed with him, not push her into something she wasn’t ready for.

Alba nodded. “You’re not wrong” she noted.

“Then gather some of your stuff and leave it here” Lionel enthused “I merely want you to be comfortable” he added before he kissed her hand, allowing her to pad towards the passenger seat of his car.

Alba smiled a little. “You really wouldn’t mind me cluttering up your wardrobe?” she posed, pulling her seatbelt around her.

“Not even slightly” Lionel replied “In fact, I think I would like it” he added with a warm smile.

~#~
“Your tests are looking good, Alba” Cassandra smiled as she sat down across from the younger woman, a kind expression on her face. she could see that Alba was still nervous, even despite the number of appointments they’d had together, Alba still seemed uncertain, but Cassandra wanted to reassure her. All of the test results that she had seen had been positive and she was confident that Alba’s pregnancy was progressing nicely.

“You’re sure?” Alba fussed.

Cassandra nodded. “Certain” she confirmed “And your blood pressure is calm now, which is a good sign. I am very happy with the way things are, Alba, and you ought to be too” she enthused softly.

Alba offered her a slightly uncertain look before Lionel took her hand, squeezing it gently. “You’re OK” he confirmed softly as Cassandra moved to set up the ultrasound “And bump, bump is OK too. Things are good, Alba” he murmured gently.

Alba offered him a slight look before Cassandra stepped back, offering her a seat on the examination bed.

“Come on” Lionel smiled as he stood up, helping her up on the bed “I don’t know about you, but I am looking forwards to seeing our little blob again” he enthused, his hand squeezing Alba’s softly.

Alba offered him a shaky smile before she laid down, allowing Cassandra to scoot up the front of her shirt, covering the skin with the cool gel that made Alba jump a little. Lionel let out a small laugh before he rested against the back of the bed, his dark eyes fixed on the screen which was quickly filled with the sight of their baby. “They’re a good size” Cassandra smiled reassuringly “A little big actually” she added before a clear thumping sound filled the air, something which made Alba choke a little.

“That’s…?” she squeaked.

“They’ve got a good heartbeat too” Cassandra smiled “You’ll be due for another scan in a few weeks and I will set that up for you. Congratulations” she smiled brightly before she excused herself from the room.

Lionel watched after her before he shuffled up onto the side of the bed, his arm wrapping around Alba’s shoulders as she sniffled a little. On instinct, Alba turned into his shoulder, smiling a little as his hand brushed up and down her back. It was good news, Alba doubted that she could have been happier with what Cassandra had said, but she knew that it was a turning point. With the 12 week mark reached, it wouldn’t be much longer before they told people about their news and whilst she was excited to let people in on the secret, she was more than a little concerned with how her family in particular would take it.

She worried that they’d only push her away further.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to shadowpb and Jayme112234 for the comments :)