You Loved Me Once

60: Time To Think

“Everything is looking good, Alba” Cassandra smiled as she helped Alba up onto the examination bed, her face holding a warm expression that was designed to calm down the slightly nervous blonde woman. It had come around quickly, Alba’s 20 week scan had come a lot quicker than she had been expecting, but still she was nervous, even if Cassandra did assure that everything was fine, she doubted that she would be calm until the distinctive rumble that was the baby’s heartbeat had filled the air.

“Are you sure?” Lionel posed from his seat beside Alba, his hand holding onto hers attentively.

“As always, Alba’s tests look remarkably positive and with the fact that she’s already felt little movements, I am confident that things are OK” Cassandra smiled as she scooted Alba’s shirt up slightly “But I am sure that you’ll see that for yourself in a second. Have you decided whether or not you want to know the sex?” she posed, smearing the cool gel over Alba’s bump.

Alba, who’d jumped a little at the cold sensation on her stomach, tilted her head, her eyes peeking up at Lionel who stared back at her, a hopeful look on his face. They had talked about it, after his return from the international break, they’d discussed the idea of knowing briefly, but it had proved a sticking point. Lionel wanted to know, he wanted to know whether he was planning for a son or a daughter, but Alba didn’t, and neither appeared content to budge.

“Do you want to know or not?” Cassandra posed as she ran the wand over Alba’s stomach, running the routine checks on the baby.

Alba studied her boyfriend’s face for a moment before she sighed, something which made Lionel grin. “We’d like to know” he noted brightly.

Cassandra smiled and turned her attention back towards the screen, allowing the distinctive thump of the baby’s heartbeat to fill the room as she jotted down a few notes. “You’re sure about wanting to know?” she posed with a look towards Alba.

“I won’t here the end of it for the next few months if I don’t let him know now. We’d like to know” Alba confirmed with a small teasing eye roll that made Lionel scoff beneath his breath.

“Has anyone ever told you that you’re simply adorable together?” Cassandra fussed as she continued to run the wand over Alba’s bump, checking the sex of the baby.

“You’re not the first” Lionel grinned, causing Alba to nudge him in the ribs.

Cassandra smiled before she placed the wand away, wiping Alba’s stomach off. “Congratulations” she enthused softly “You’re expecting a little girl” she enthused before she stepped away, mumbling something about setting up Alba’s next appointment.

“Did she say a little girl?” Alba spluttered as the midwife walked off.

Lionel, who was a little in awe of the midwife’s words, nodded, his eyes not leaving the bump which stuck out from beneath Alba’s shirt.

“Leo?” Alba pressed “Did she just say that…” Alba’s words fell away as Lionel stepped forwards, ducking down to press a kiss against the protruding bump.

“Princesa” he murmured softly before he lifted his head, offering Alba a wide smile. “You’re going to have daughter” he mused.

Alba blinked a little, something which made him smile. “Alba?” he posed.

Alba merely shook her head, her hand resting on her bump as a small smile appeared on her face.

“Are you happy?” Lionel teased as he covered her hand with his.

Alba looked at their hands for a moment before she tilted her head, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. “Very happy” she mused gently.

~#~
“We should send one of these to my parents” Lionel quipped from his spot on the couch, his hand still holding onto the sonogram picture that he hadn’t been able to put down since they’d returned to his home. It was a little odd, since Alba had told him that she was expecting, he had been anticipating that it would be a boy, but the idea that Alba was carrying their daughter was taking a little while to sink in, even if he was thrilled, he was sure that it would take a little while for him to get his head around the idea that they were going to have a little girl in a little over 4 months.

“And my sister” Alba agreed as she moved into the room, a bowl dry chocolate cereal in her hand.

Lionel lifted his eyebrow. “Dry cereal?” he quipped.

“I was craving it all day” Alba quipped.

Lionel offered her a slightly odd look before he flicked his attention back to the sonogram in his hand, his thumb gently brushing over the outline of the baby.
“You should call your parents” Alba mused softly “I know you madre was dying to hear from us as soon as we got back here. You should tell her that she’s getting a new granddaughter” she enthused, not liking the silence that had fallen around them.

“I will do” Lionel quipped, settling the picture down “But first, I want to ask you something and I want you to let me get through it before you react OK?” he posed, his attention flicking to Alba who happily munched on the bowl of cereal in her hand.

Alba lifted an eyebrow, but nodded. “OK” she agreed.

Lionel nodded his head before he took in a breath, trying to figure out the words to use. He knew that they were operating on Alba’s terms, part of the reason that they had made it so far was that he had allowed her to dictate how quickly or slowly they moved, but he wanted to ask, even if it had only been 9 months since they’d gotten back together, he wanted to know if she would at least consider the idea of her, and their daughter, moving in with him.

Swallowing a little, he pushed some hair out of his face before he took Alba’s hand, something which made her frown.

“If you’re thinking about proposing, I can save you the bother. It’s…”

“Move in here” Lionel babbled, cutting her off.

Alba blinked.

“It’s been 9 months” Lionel rambled gently “And in just over 4 months, you’re going to give birth to our daughter, and I think I would feel a lot better if you were both here with me all of the time. I know that you want to take your time, and I understand that, but when bump comes along, it makes the most sense for you to be here, even if you’re not staying in my room all of the time, I just want both of my girls here” he babbled.

Alba, who was watching him, chewed on her lip.

“I understand if you need time to think about it” Lionel mused as he messed with her hand “But I would feel a lot better if the two of you were here with me” he added, his fingers brushing over Alba’s pronounced baby bump.

Alba watched his fingers brush over the bump before she captured his hand, squeezing it softly. “Do you think I can take some time to think about it?” she posed softly.

“Of course” he mused “I want you to make the best decision for you” he noted.

Alba offered him a small smile before she pecked his cheek, mumbling something about needing to send an email to her boss before she stepped away.

Lionel watched after her and sighed a little to himself, hoping that she would at least consider his offer. It was fast, if he was honest, he was pushing it a little, but he knew what he wanted and what he wanted was Alba and their daughter with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comments :)