You Loved Me Once

73: She’s A Worrier

“Alba?”

Alba, who was sat on the end of her bed, watching as Isabella slept in her crib, turned her head a little, watching as Lionel stepped into the room. It had been a little while, after spending a little time with his parents and her sister, Alba had been quick to retire to their room with Isabella in tow, but she was a little surprised to see him so soon. She had assumed that he would spend the evening watching the Clasico. “What are you doing up here?” she posed.

“You’ve been up here for a while” Lionel noted gently “And with everyone else having headed back to their hotel, I thought I would come and check up on my girls. You’ve been quiet all day” he fussed as he stepped a little deeper into the room, taking the spot beside Alba. It had been a little odd, since they’d arrived home with Isabella, Alba had become quiet, and he wanted to ensure that she was alright. He wanted to see her smile like she done since the moment Isabella had been placed in her arms.

“It’s been a long couple of days” Alba mused, her eyes watching Isabella as she stirred in her sleep “I’m just a little tired I guess” she added.

“You’ve been up here for most of the day, Alba” Lionel countered “And I don’t think you’ve been sleeping. What’s going on with you?” he posed softly. He didn’t want to push her, chances were that she was merely a little tired, but he wanted to ask. She should have been happy, less than 24 hours previous, they’d welcomed their daughter into the world, but she seemed a little subdued, something which irked him a little. He had thought the good feeling would last a little longer than a day.

Alba shook her head. “It’s nothing” she noted, deliberately avoiding his eyes.

“You’re lying” Lionel countered “And I know it, so why don’t we skip the bit where you tell me it’s nothing and get to the part where you tell me what’s going on, Alba? It’s supposed to be a happy day, nena, we’re supposed to be celebrating our little girl’s arrival” he insisted, his hand squeezing hers.

Alba sighed. “It was just something Callie said” she murmured “She asked if I had contemplated calling my parents” she added, her blue eyes peeking towards Lionel who dropped his head, a slightly aggrieved sigh falling out of his mouth.

“Alba…”

“They’re still my parents, Leo” Alba interjected.

“And they made their choice, Alba” Lionel countered “They’ve had ample opportunity to make amends, Alba, months, and they chose not to and I am not going to let that spoil this for us. We’ve got a little girl, Alba, a beautiful little girl, and that should be enough right now. Surely you can enjoy the moment for a while, no?” he pressed, his tone caught somewhere between soft and frustrated. He knew that it got to her, whether she wanted to admit it or not, Alba missed her mother and father, but he didn’t want to let the issues with her parents get them down. They were new parents and for a little while, he merely wanted to enjoy the idea of sharing that with Alba.

Alba, who was messing with his hand shyly, sighed. “I hate that they’re not here” she admitted softly.

“I know you do” Lionel agreed gently “But right now, they’re not the most important thing. She is” he murmured, his eyes flicking towards Isabella who cooed softly in her sleep.

Alba shifted a little, her eyes too landing on the little girl who slept soundly. “I can’t quite believe that we made her” she murmured softly “It seems like only yesterday that I was yelling at you in Eva and Oscar’s kitchen” she added, a half-smile on her face.

Lionel scoffed. “You were only doing that to stop yourself falling over me” he quipped, his arm happily settling around her waist.

Alba snorted. “You were the one who couldn’t leave me alone. I’d have been more than happy to not see your face again” she scoffed playfully.

“You know you loved me really” he teased.

Alba smiled and leant into him slightly, her head resting on his shoulder. “I do love you” she murmured.

“I know” Lionel quipped, resting his head against hers “And you know that I feel the same for you. This is where I want to be, Alba, with you, and Isabella” he insisted.

Alba smiled gently at his words before she shifted, pressing a kiss to his cheek. “I know that too” she fussed as she shuffled back to her feet “I am going to get ready for bed. Are you not going to head back down to watch the last of the match?” she posed as she checked the time on the clock on the wall.

Lionel shook his head. “I’d much rather be here with you and Isabella” he mused.

“You’re sure?” Alba posed “I wouldn’t mind it if you wanted to go” she added as she padded towards the dresser, collecting a fresh set of pyjamas.

“I’m certain” Lionel quipped “I will catch up with the game tomorrow, but right now, I want to be here with the two of you. Is that alright with you?” he teased.

Alba rolled her eyes, mumbling something beneath her breath before she padded into the bathroom, closing the door with a muffled thump.

Lionel watched the door close before he turned his attention back to Isabella, smiling at the little girl who kicked a little in her feet. “Your mama is worrying already” he murmured softly, his fingertips gently brushing the small wisps of dark hair that sat on the infant’s head. “She is a worrier, but I hope she realises that right now, there is nothing to be worried about. Me, you, and your mama, we’re going to be OK” he murmured gently before he pressed a kiss to her head, quietly moving away towards the dresser.

Pulling the drawer open, he briefly glanced towards the small box which had resided in it for years. It hadn’t been intentional, after Alba had sent it back to him, he had intended to get rid of it, but there had always been something that had stopped him, leading it to take up residency in his drawer. Brushing a hand over it, he spared a small smile before the sound of the bathroom door opening caught his ears, causing him to shut the drawer quickly.

“Are you OK?” Alba posed as she padded back into the bedroom, fixing her blonde hair.

“I’m more than OK” Lionel insisted, offering her a grin.

Alba offered him a slightly dubious look before she pressed a quick kiss against his lips. “I’ll see you for the first night feed” she murmured “Buenos noches” she added before she padded towards the bed.

Lionel smiled after her for a second before he followed, contently settling at her side. “Buenos noches, mi amor” he murmured softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)