You Loved Me Once

86: You’re More Than Welcome

“Are you sure that you don’t want me to take her?” Lionel posed as he moved to place the last of their bags onto the trolley, his eyes glancing up at Alba who was trying to soothe Isabella. It had been a long flight, Isabella had been particularly fussy throughout the duration, and Lionel wanted to take his turn trying to soothe her, something which had proved almost impossible.

“I am sure” Alba mused “You were awake most of the flight with her” she added.

“I don’t mind” Lionel quipped as he moved to steer the trolley through the airport terminal “I’d be more than happy to take her” he added, offering a small smile towards the four month who sniffled a little, her blue eyes slightly tearful.

Alba smiled a little at the look on his face before she shook her head, moving to press a small kiss against his cheek. “I am fine, Leo” she assured him gently.

Lionel offered her another dubious look before he nodded, steering the trolley towards the exit where his father stood, a welcoming smile on his face. “Lionel” he greeted softly.

“Hola, papa” Lionel smiled.

Jorge shook his head. “It has been too long” the older man mused as he moved to offer his youngest son a hug.

Lionel hugged him tightly. “You know I’d be back here more if I could be” he mumbled.

“I know” Jorge noted “But it doesn’t mean we don’t miss you” he pointed out as he stepped back.

Lionel offered him a curt nod before he stepped back, allowing Jorge to make his way towards Alba who smiled at him sheepishly. “Alba” he greeted softly.

“Hola, Jorge” Alba smiled timidly.

The older man rolled his eyes. “You’re still shy around me, Alba?” he teased.

Alba’s cheeks warmed a little, something which made the older man chuckle warmly. “We should get moving” he noted as he turned back to Lionel, watching as he loaded the bags into the back of the car “Your madre made me promise that I would get you back to ours for lunch. She’s dying to see Isabella” he enthused with a small look towards the little girl who sat in Alba’s arms, slightly calmer than before.

Lionel nodded his head. “I’d love to see her” he commented as he placed another bag into the car “But we’d not stay too long. I’d like to get back to my apartment to rest” he added.

Jorge nodded. “I am sure that your mother will come up with a compromise” he mused as he moved to place the last bag into the car.

Lionel nodded his head before he moved to climb into the car, hoping that they made it to his home sooner rather than later.

~#~
“I can’t quite believe how big she has gotten, Alba” Celia smiled as she flicked her stare away from Isabella towards the younger woman, not missing just how nervous she looked. It wasn’t the first time, since she was a child, Alba had always been a little uncertain when she had been left alone with one of Lionel’s parents, but Celia couldn’t help but smile at her, slightly glad that she hadn’t changed too much.

Alba, who’d been nervously pulling at a thread on the couch, startled a little at the sound of the older woman’s voice, something which made Celia shake her head. “You know that you’re more than welcome here, don’t you?” she teased softly.

Alba nodded. “I do” she confirmed “It’s just a habit. When I was younger, I always worried about saying something that would upset you or your husband and sometimes it flairs up a little” she explained softly.

“You’re not going to upset us, Alba” Celia smiled “I’ve seen you at your best, and your worst. Do you not remember the night you and Leo got into your first fight?” she posed.

Alba’s cheeks warmed a little at the memory. It had been nothing, Alba had made a small comment about Lionel’s imminent departure back to Barcelona and before she knew it, they were yelling at one another, accusing each other of things they’d known weren’t true before Alba had stormed out, bumping into Celia in the hallway who proceeded to take care of her, calming her down before she had done something she would have almost inevitably ended up regretting. “You didn’t have to do that” Alba mumbled.

“I know” Celia smiled “But I wanted to. Alba, regardless of whatever happens between you and my son, you’re always welcome here, and you always have been. You know that, don’t you?” she offered softly.

Alba smiled. “I am grateful for that” she mused.

“You’re just like part of the family” Celia enthused before Lionel stepped into the room “You’re heading off?” she posed.

“I was hoping to” Lionel noted gently “But we will see you tomorrow?” he posed.

“I’d love that” Celia smiled “Buenos noches, Alba” she mused as she passed Isabella over to her.

“Buenos noches, Celia” Alba replied.

Celia flashed the couple another warm smile before she stepped out of the room, allowing Lionel to flick his attention towards his girlfriend. “You ready to head home?” he posed softly.

Alba nodded. “You have no idea how ready. I love your family, but I have needed to sleep since we touched down” she mused, allowing a small yawn to fall out of her mouth.

Lionel smiled. “You could have said” he mused as he moved to hand over her jacket to her.

Alba shook her head, placing Isabella into his arms before she pulled on her jacket. “Your mother seemed so excited to see us” she reasoned softly.

“More so you and Isabella than me” Lionel quipped with a teasing grin.

Alba merely shrugged. “I can’t help that she loves me” she teased impishly.

Lionel rolled his eyes a little, but smiled nevertheless, something which made Alba grin back at him, a sight he doubted he would find himself tired of seeing.

~#~
Placing the last of the suitcases down beside the bedroom door, Lionel let out a small relieved sigh, moving to rest comfortably on the end of the bed. It had been a long day, too long for Lionel, but he was grateful for the chance to rest, even if it was likely to be short lived, he couldn’t wait to be afforded the chance to settle down in bed for the night.

Sparing a small yawn into his hand, he closed his eyes for a moment before the sound of Alba clearing her throat entered his ears, causing him to sit up, admiring her as she stood in the door way, smiling at him gently. “Is Bella asleep?” he posed softly.

“She is” Alba mused “And you look like you should be too” she added.

Lionel nodded. “I am starting to get a little tired” he admitted.

“Then we should go to sleep” Alba quipped.

“I just want to take a shower first. I will be with you shortly” he mused as he pushed himself to his feet, padding out of the room and into the bathroom.

Alba watched after him for a second before she padded towards the suitcases, locating Lionel’s. It was something she did often, since her pregnancy, Alba had developed a habit of falling asleep in Lionel’s shirt, and she was sure that he wouldn’t mind. He’d always insisted that he liked the sight of her in his shirts. Unzipping the bag, she rifled through it in search of a t-shirt before her hand brushed against something, causing her to frown a little. Moving a few items of clothes, she located the zip for the side pocket before she opened it, pulling out the small item which had been stowed inside of it.

Leaning back a little, Alba sat down on the floor, her blue eyes fixed on the small navy blue box which sat in her hand.

“I forgot to get a pair of clean boxers out…” Lionel’s voice fell away as he stepped back into the room, his dark eyes landing on Alba. “What are you doing with that?” he posed gently, his eyes peeking at the box which sat in the palm of Alba’s hand.

Alba turned and looked over her shoulder, her blue eyes meeting his. “I should ask you the same thing” she countered quietly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)