You Loved Me Once

91: Can You Blame Them?

“Remind me again why we thought hosting would be a good idea?”

Alba, who was placing the last of the food out onto the dining room table, smiled a little, her eyes watching as Lionel’s arms wrapped around her waist. It was a habit of his, since he had proposed, he had hardly been able to keep his hands off of her, and it never failed to make Alba grin a little. It was a change, since they’d started dating, Lionel had never been the most affectionate man, but Alba had come to love the sudden kisses or impromptu hugs. It was something she was going to miss once the novelty of being newly engaged wore off. “You were the one who suggested it” she mused as she turned to look up at him.

“I know” Lionel noted “But I kind of regret it already. I would much rather had a quiet night with you and Isabella” he mumbled, resting forehead against hers.

“You’ve got plenty of time for that” Alba countered, offering him a small smile “But tonight is New Years’ Eve and it’s not quite the same without a party. Besides, I thought you wanted to use tonight to tell everyone about you know what” she mused, her fingertips gently messing with the collar of his shirt.

It hadn’t been long, since Lionel had proposed, about 10 days had passed, but after telling his parents, Alba had decided that she wanted to tell everyone with the exception of her parents, not wanting the bubble to be burst too quickly. She knew that people would have questions, after the way their relationship had ended previously, it was inevitable that people would ask if she was sure that she trusted him or if he was sure that he wanted to get married, and Alba merely wanted to get it out of the way, wanting instead to focus on the good news that was their engagement.

“You can used the word ‘engagement’” Lionel teased, offering her an impish smile “It won’t kill you” he added.

Alba rolled her eyes a little. “I thought you wanted to tell people tonight” she murmured softly.

“I do” Lionel smiled “I’ve wanted to tell people since you said yes, and tonight provides the perfect opportunity” he enthused.

Alba nodded her head. “It does” she confirmed gently “Though, I hope you know as soon as the word ‘engaged’ passes you lips, people are going to ask if you’re sure this time” she quipped.

Lionel rolled his eyes a little, something which made Alba kiss his cheek. “You bought it on yourself, amor” she noted gently “You seemed so sure last time and we both know what happened then. Can you honestly blame them if they’re a little dubious about this?” she asked delicately.

Lionel shook his head. “No” he murmured “But I could do without them asking. I am not stupid enough to ruin this again, Alba” he noted, gently brushing a wave of blonde hair off of her face.

“I’d hope not” Alba mumbled “But no one thought you were stupid enough to mess it up the first time either and you can’t be upset that they are concerned. They’re only looking out for me, Leo” she pointed out gently.

Lionel nodded. “I know” he murmured.

Alba admired the small frown on his face before she leant towards him, pressing a quick kiss against his lips. “I love you” she insisted softly.

Lionel studied her face for a second before he quirked a small grin, pecking her lips lightly. “I love you too” he replied.

~#~
“How was your trip to Argentina, Alba?” Jess posed as she sipped on her glass of wine, her eyes glancing at Alba who was quietly nursing her own drink. She had been quiet, since the party had gotten underway, she had barely said two words unless someone asked her something, and it made Jess a little suspicious. The last time she had seen Alba so quiet it had been when Shakira had suggested the notion of her and Lionel getting married.

Alba, who was sipping on her glass of juice, smiled. “It was lovely” she enthused “I spent time with Calista and Riley who are expecting their first baby and I spent a load of time with Leo’s family who always try and make me feel welcome. It was a good trip” she smiled.

“Then why are you being so quiet?” Shakira quipped.

“I am not being quiet” Alba countered, shaking her head.

“You’ve barely said two words unless we’ve asked you something” Jess pointed out “And you just keep staring at that glass in your hand. Is something going on?” she pressed. She knew Alba, her being quiet was usually a bad sign, and Jess dreaded to think that something had gone wrong between her friend and Lionel. They were undoubtedly good together and she would have hated to see them fall apart, especially when they’d been so happy before their trip to Argentina.

“What would be going on?” Alba posed, trying not to spill the beans.

“Are you and Leo having problems?” Jess pressed.

Alba frowned. “Why would you think that?” she posed.

“You just seem quiet” Shakira mused softly “And the last time you were like this, I suggested that you and Leo get married, something which is clearly a sticking point for you. You’re not quite yourself tonight, Alba, and if there is a problem, you can talk to us, you know that right?” she posed.

Alba nodded. “I do know that” she quipped “And I am grateful for that, but there’s nothing wrong. Leo and I, it’s going along fine” she insisted with a small smile.

Shakira offered her a slightly dubious look before Lionel appeared beside his girlfriend, mumbling something into her ear which caused her to get to her feet, following him towards the front of the living room.

“What are the odds that she’s pregnant again?” Jess quipped.

“I wouldn’t put it past them” Shakira agreed, sipping on her drink as she peeked towards the couple who stood whispering to one another.

~#~
“You’re sure about this?” Lionel mumbled into Alba’s ear, his eyes surviving the room which was filled with activity around them. It was undoubtedly what he wanted, from the moment that Alba had agreed to marry him, he had wanted to share the news with anyone and everyone who would listen, but he wanted to ensure that it was what Alba wanted to do. The last thing he wanted was for her to change her mind.

“I’m sure” Alba agreed, offering him a small smile.

Lionel nodded his head before he ducked away, moving to collect a glass which he tapped with the end of a fork. “Can we have a bit of quiet for a second?” he posed.

“Is it midnight already?” Dani Alves posed.

Lionel shook his head. “It’s not quite midnight, but before we all get carried away in ringing in the new year, there’s something that Alba and I would like to tell you all” he mused softly, his arm wrapping around Alba’s waist.

“Didn’t you just have a baby?” Neymar peeped.

Lionel rolled his eyes a little and ushered Alba a little closer to him, smiling a little at the hint of pink on her cheeks. “Whilst we were away, I asked Alba to marry me” he revealed gently “And, much to my surprise, she said yes” he added.

The room was quiet for a moment, as if unsure of how to react, before Gerard stood up, lifting his glass into the air. “At last” he enthused brightly.

“At last?” Lionel posed.

“We’ve been taking bets on you proposing since Isabella was born. I think Javier had Christmas” the defender grinned, motioning to the other argentine who was gleefully accepting small amounts of money from those around him.

Lionel rolled his eyes a little before Gerard stepped forwards, pulling Alba into a tight hug that made her squeak a little.

“To Lionel and Alba” Andres mused, lifting his glass.

The others around the room mimicked his toast, something which made Alba’s cheeks blush a little as she pulled away from Gerard slightly, allowing him to keep an arm wrapped around her shoulders whilst Lionel moved to shake hands and hug those who were itching to congratulate him. “You’re going to get married this time, right?” he posed quietly, his tone caught somewhere between teasing and serious.

Alba looked up towards him and nodded. “I hope so” she murmured gently.

Gerard smiled softly and squeezed her shoulders slightly. He hoped it worked out for them too.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)