You Loved Me Once

92: Take Our Time

Tying the last trash bag, Lionel set it outside of the door before he pulled it closed, ensuring that it was locked up. It was late, after the festivities of their new years’ eve party, the house had only just fallen quiet, and with the time heading towards almost 2 in the morning, Lionel wanted nothing more than to head to bed.

It had been an enjoyable party, even if it had ended with a few of his friends asking whether or not he was sure that he wanted to marry Alba, but with training the following morning, there was nothing he wanted more than to retire for the night.

Ensuring that the door was safely locked, he flicked off the light and padded up the stairs, quickly making his way into his bedroom where Alba, running a brush through her hair.

“I thought you’d be asleep already” he quipped gently.

Alba, who’d watched him step into the room, smiled. “I will be soon” she agreed gently “I love our friends, but they really needed to leave about an hour before they did” she quipped.

Lionel, who’d moved to shuffle out of his trousers, shook his head. “They were excited” he enthused as he moved to sit down beside her “It’s not every day that we tell them that we’re getting married” he added.

Alba shook her head, her cheeks tinging a little pink. It was still a little strange, the idea that they were engaged, and still it made her a blush a little, something which never failed to draw a smile from her boyfriend. “You’re adorable, you know that?” he fussed with a soft grin.

Alba rolled her eyes a little before she pushed herself to her feet, placing her hair brush back into the bathroom before she moved to slip into her side of the bed, resting her head gently against her pillow. “Gerard spoke to you, didn’t he?” she posed, sparing a small yawn into her hand. It hadn’t been a surprise, as soon as the excitement of their announcement had died down, the defender had been quick to pull the argentine aside, and Alba had no doubt about what the Spaniard would have said. It was likely to be similar to what Shakira and Jess had asked her.

Lionel, who’d stepped into the en-suite nodded. “Him, Neymar, Andres…the list goes on” he mused as he moved to brush his teeth “They all said pretty much the same thing. They told me that you were a lovely woman, one that they liked, and that they wanted me to be careful this time. No one wants to see you get hurt” he added, a small sigh falling out of his mouth. He hadn’t been shocked, when Gerard had pulled him aside, he could have predicted exactly what he was going to say, but still it irked Lionel a little, even if he knew that his friends merely had Alba’s best interests at heart, it still upset him a little that very few people had faith in him not to make the same mistake twice.

Alba noted the tone in his voice and pushed herself so that she sat up, her head tilted to one side. “You know that they’re going to be uncertain until we’re actually married, don’t you?” she posed gently.

Lionel nodded. “I know” he noted gently.

“It’s a consequence of what happened before, Leo, and you can’t make them stop. Everyone was sure that last time was the right time, me included, and they’re going to be uncertain until it’s done” she explained softly.

Lionel, who moved to sit beside her, nodded. “I know that” he confirmed.

Alba offered him a soft smile before she pecked his cheek, moving to lay down once more.

“Have you given any thought to when you want to do this?” Lionel mumbled as he laid down beside her, his arm wrapping around her waist.

“Have I thought about a wedding date?” Alba posed.

Lionel nodded quietly.

“I haven’t really, no” Alba murmured “What about you?” she posed as she turned to look at him, her fingertips pushing the hair out of his eyes gently.

“I don’t think I want to wait around for too long” Lionel murmured softly “I think that that is a little of what got to me last time. I think I’d like to be pretty quick” he explained softly.

“And you don’t worry about rushing into something you could end up regretting?” Alba posed, her eyes closing a little.

“No” Lionel retorted simply “Alba, I made the mistake of getting into my own head last time and I am not about to do it again. This is what I want, and I would do it tomorrow or in 5 years’ time if that was what you wanted to do” he insisted softly.

Alba smiled at him gently and kissed his forehead, something which made him let out a small sigh. “I am going nowhere, Alba, you know that, right?” he posed softly.

Alba nodded her head. “I know that” she confirmed gently.

Lionel offered her a small smile before he placed a hand into her hair, pulling her into a soft kiss. Alba smiled into it for a moment before she pulled back, offering him a soft look. “I don’t want to rush into this” she murmured gently “I want to do it, Leo, I want to marry you, but I don’t want to rush into something only to realise that we’re not quite there. I think a few months would be good for us” she explained softly. She knew what she wanted, since she could remember, she had envisaged ending up with Lionel, but she wanted to give them both a little time to grow into the idea of being man and wife, even if he did seem certain, she had fallen into that trap the first time.

Lionel mulled over her words for a moment before he sighed, conceding that she was probably right.

Offering him a small smile, she pressed a kiss against the top of his head before she rolled onto her side, snuggling contently against her pillow.

Lionel watched her for a moment, listening to her soft even breaths before he nodded his head, wordlessly confirming to himself that Alba was right. They did need time, getting engaged was one thing, but getting married was another, and Lionel understood Alba’s want to know that he was sure. After the last time, he couldn’t blame her for being a little dubious about his commitment to the notion of them getting married.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)