Without Words

*Without words *

" Are you ready?" Marcel says acting excited and trying to encourage the brunette , with the most wonderful and the sweetest name in the world Marcel always thinks ," Carmen" , who is sitting at the chair , with trembling hands , nervous as hell .

Carmen was his friend since he really can't remember , or truth to be told , Carmen is his secret love , that he can't tell her about what he feels for her. It hurts him too much seeing her loving another man , much bad to see her feeling too much pain because of the love she can't receive it from the other one, but what makes it even worse it because she is deeply in love with their best friend , Marco

"Nervous?" his soft voice inquires , he lays his hand on Carmen's bare shoulder, his thumb caressing her soothingly, Carmen nods without looking up at his face , trying to gather herself, she feels like crying, but she wouldn't break down there, if she looks at Marcel in the eyes she would definitely collapsed.

That night is a very important night for her career as an amateur singer , after a lot of failed attempts , she finally gets a chance , and if she would have performed well , she would have plenty of opportunities later.

" You will do great out there Carmi, I believe in you , don't forget that" he adds with broken voice , trying the best he can to not reveal his secret , in the end , he can't do nothing either , he just has to learn how to let it go.

" Thank you" she whispers , pressing hard on her lips , Marcel just keeps looking at her , not knowing what to do or how , he just keeps looking at his dreams shattered down in front of his eyes , a very bitter truth he knows it since the first time he knew about Carmen's feeling toward Marco , he knew it without saying any words, he saw it in her eyes, her words , her behaviors , how she was treating Marco , how she was always there for him no matter what, at day, at night, rainy or sunny days didn't make any deferent, she was always there with her heart full of love for the blond midfielder and Marco can't thank her enough for what she had done for him, but he was full blinded to see the love in her eyes , in her breaths , in her behaviors, he was focusing only on his career as a professional player after he broke up with a young journalist , he had dated with her over four years. Marco can't thank Carmen enough no only because she was there whenever he needed help , but also Carmen was the one that introduced him to a young model, he is now falling for her.

They are there looking like two empty shadows without lives , the girl who is deeply in love with her friend, and the guy who is suffering from his love for her , they are quite silence , no one of them dare to take the first step , Carmen knows that she has to let it go , she has to say goodbye to her feeling for Marco , now he is living happy and that all the matters , Carmen thinks. To see Marco lives happy after he lost his faith in love , and after the hard times he had passed though , so at least he deserves all the best in this life.

A loud noise pulls the two figure to reality , their friends start to show up one after one , encouraging her, and showing their supports, till the ones come, the ones Carmen doesn't want to see , at least not before the live performance ,

Scarlett , the young blonde model which happens she is Carmen's friend for quite a while holding her hand with her boyfriend's , Marco. Carmen's heart skips several beats when Marco approaches her and gives her a tight hug from behind , all people around are staring at the both friends, one of them is in secretly love with.

" I know you will make it out there gurl" Marco encourages the brunette shaking her a little and puts a kiss on her cheek, Carmen feels her world starts to spin around , she feels adrenaline rush through her veins and the all too familiar nausea rise in her stomach after that innocent kiss , a kiss between two friends , nothing less, nothing more , or that's what - at least in Marco's mind.

+++

The guys left the backstage and fast they take their places , waiting for Carmen to show up with her black guitar. All of them but Marcel, he prefers to hide although he has a very bad view on the small stage in the opposite end of the room, with the crowd gathering around the edge of the podium. Marcel ordres a beer beforehand and he tells the waiter not to bother him. He wants to stay in the shadows, not noticed by anyone.

Marcel watches from the corner as the pub slowly filles up with people. It isn't a big place at all and it isn't be that hard to get it packed, but he still couldn't hide his pride as he realizes that these people come here to see and hear his girl friend – among others. If only his thoughts haven't clouded by other troubling memories... the memories of they can't be more than friends.

A big applause brings him out of his musings as Carmen steps on the stage and starts playing with her guitar, Marcel feels miserable at the moment , he grabs his coat and is about to leave the pub when he suddenly hears Carmen's raspy voice from the speakers

"Well, I don't know what to say–" she starts hesitantly

"In fact, for some reasons I had changed the song I had prepared for the performance, I know it's not wise to make such change , but..actually this is my very first song I have written in just few minutes before training on it , probably the last time anyone hears and sees me doing this, but there's a very special someone who deserves a song from me– and well, I hope it finds its addressee... Wherever you are , remember... this song is only for you , only you "

Carmen smiles weakly and starts to play some melancholic music, she takes a deep breath and begins humming in her raspy voice, fills with emotions that she hopes no one knows are directed at the man sitting in the shadows, watching her . Marcel feels weak in his knees, and he slumps down back on his chair when Carmen starts to sing

I should've ignored what I felt
what I felt deep in my heart
'cause now I don't even know
how to start letting you go
oh yeah
it hurts so bad I can't explain

I should've just ran away
beside you I just can't stay
'cause I know that we won't be
more than friends it's clear to see
oh yeah
'cause in your heart is where she'll be

The music was so simple: only Carmen and her black guitar. And yet, it warms Marcel's heart like no song could ever do and he knows the reason: this song is for Marco even though she closed her eyes as she let herself be dwelling in the notes. Carmen doesn't search for Marco and she doesn't need eye-contact because she is singing to Marco's soul, but he can't know , simply he can't love her back the way she loves him.

without words you have shown me what love is
without words your name is what my heart screams
it breaks me just to know
that you really love her so
I'll try my best that it won't show

without words you have made me feel so much pain
without words feels like I have drowned in the rain
and I was such a fool ...to believe
that there was really you and me
without saying a word

Tears start to gather in Marcel's eyes as Carmen finished the two last line, noticing her and himself in the lyrics. The both are suffering from their love in secrecy. The both are tortured by their unfulfilled desire.

I'll pretend that I don't hear
my heart whenever you're near
and though it doesn't subside
whenever our worlds collide
I know
someday I'll learn to let you go

Then, it happened. Marcel's tears start to pour and he could nothing to stop them , he doesn't want to stop them either , for a moment he wants to walk over the stage , grab Carmen , take her in his arms, sharing this burden with her , telling her about his feeling , telling her that there is someone out there really cares of her, someone who truly loves her .

without words you have shown me what love is
without words your name is what my heart screams
it breaks me just to know
that you really love her so
I'll try my best that it won't show

The music got more intense and powerful and speeds up just a little bit, turning into a desperate cry. The whole crowd go crazy and they shout , whistle and cheer and Marcel would liked to join them, but he is simply too preoccupied with his own thoughts to do it. As Carmen keeps hitting the strings of her guitar full of power, Marcel's mind raced.

without words you have made me feel so much pain
without words feels like I have drowned in the rain
and I was such a fool to believe
that there was really you and me

without a word I really don't know why
to you I'd never learn to say goodbye

As the last notes faded, everyone goes silent, only to erupt in an ecstatic cheer. Carmen bows casually before walking off the stage with heavy heart and wiping her tears after she peeks Marco stands applauding for her then pulls his girlfriend closer and kisses her. Remembering one day Marcel said something about the ones who can't notice what they truely deserve

" Loving someone who doesn't love you back is like hugging a cactus. The tighter you hold on, the more it hurts.... "