Because I Can

Image


Full of emotion, impatient at times, reacts too quickly to certain matters.


Mysterious, easy-going, selfless nature allows others to take advantage.


Balanced, has sophisticated taste and appreciates beauty in all its forms.


THE IDEA

Image New Message: Angelina
Sunny, do you love me? I really need a friend right now. Come over for a bit?


"Is everything okay? You look like a wreck."

"When don't I? You can't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you, okay?"

"When have I ever told anyone what we talk about?"

"Good point. Gah, how do I even say this?"

"Simple. You let the words flow out."

"I'm thinking of breaking things off with Richard."

"You're serious right now? But you've been together for so long! Surely you're not thinking straight. Have you been drinking?"

"Pan Sun Hee, I'll have you know that I've been sober since graduation and do not appreciate your accusations."

"Chill babe, it was just a question. But seriously. What happened?"

"I've told you about every date we've ever been on, right? And the monumental moments like when he asked me to be his girlfriend and the proposal. Things have been different since the wedding planning started. I know my tastes can be a little on the expensive side of things, but damned if he's not making me feel guilty for it. And he hasn't even been around for anything. He's come to the cake tasting, the dinner testing, and helped me plan an appetizer menu but that's it."

"Maybe he just doesn't have ideas. I mean, like the Libra you are you've been planning your dream wedding since you were five."

"So? And he's been staying out rather late each night. He says he's at work, but isn't that what they all say while they're out having affairs? I tell him all the time that he needs to let me know when he'll be coming in late, going on a business trip, having dinner with clients--"

"There's your problem. I've told you so many times that he's your boyfriend, not your dog."

"I don't treat him like a dog."

"But you certainly don't treat him like a man who's perfectly capable of taking care of himself, either."

"Well he's not."

"Angelina, seriously, you have to calm down when it comes to making decisions for him. Though he's only 22, he's been pretty much leading his father's business since he was 16. And you give him no credit for that. If he was looking to fuck other girls I'm sure he wouldn't have proposed. You have got to stop pushing your interests and your friends on him if you expect a marriage to work."

"Yeah, because yours was such a success."

"That was a low blow, Lina, and you know it. I'm trying to help you here. You're overreacting - per usual - and I don't have the patience for it anymore. That and I'm certainly not going to let you throw me into the middle of your marital problems."

"You're supposed to be my friend yet you're siding with him when he's clearly up to something."

"Maybe he's planning a surprise for the wedding. Or maybe he just wants some time to himself. You automatically assume the worst of him after alienating him all the time. What am I supposed to say? Cancel the wedding? Then I'll be the bad guy and I'm not doing it."
THE TRUTH

"What did Angelina tell you?"

"She just mentioned that you've been disappearing a lot lately."

"I've been signing up for a lot of extra work."

"Why; is everything okay?"

"Definitely! It just feels like the walls are closing in on me sometimes and I'd rather take on more work than have Lina asking me where I am and what I'm doing and why I'm gone for so long if I decide to go on a walk."

"I feel you. She's always been controlling. Underneath all that elegance is the world's biggest control freak."

"Does she treat you the same?"

"Not so much anymore, but when we were in high school she was a little more controlling of me. I remember there was another Korean girl that enrolled, and so I showed her around and invited her to sit with us at lunch. We spoke in Korean because I wanted her to feel more comfortable and Lina felt really left out."

"I can just imagine her whining about it. 'Sunny, I don't speak Korean, what are you guys talking about?'"

"That's exactly what she said!"

"So she felt like you were going to abandon her?"

"I suppose so; or maybe she just needs to be the center of attention. It's hard to tell sometimes because she doesn't tend to be upfront about what she's thinking. Not that I need to tell you that..."

"So what about you, do you think I rushed into things? She's obviously not ready to commit."

"Why do you guys so badly want to drag me into the middle of this?"

"You're right. I'm sorry. I just don't know what to do. Thinking of calling off our engagement? That's so extreme, and honestly, I'm not sure if I want to be with someone who jumps to conclusions instead of asking me how I'm doing or if things are okay. The whole relationship I've been more than giving, never complaining about her wants and needs; and she takes advantage of that. She turns me into the bad guy when all I do is try to make her happy. When I first proposed I may have been too blinded by my love for her to see how she treats me like property, a commodity to be had, instead of her lover."

"Is love really that powerful that it allows you to let yourself be walked over?"

"Until now, I didn't think it was."

"So what are you going to do about it?"

"Oh, I don't know. Part of the Pisces in me wants to stay where I'm at because I've grown comfortable in the routine I'm in, but the other part of me wants someone strong-willed and full of emotion that matches mine. Like an Aries."

"Do what you gotta do, Richard. I can't pretend I know how you feel but I can tell you that hiding how you feel will only make you miserable."

"You've done that before?"

"I'm doing it now."

"Really? Why would you?"

"Because sometimes when you care about someone, you have to 'take one for the team' so to speak, in order to prevent things from becoming complicated."

"Run away with me."

"Ru-what?"

"Run away. With me."

"Richard, why woul--"

"Because, I love you. Or at least, I've always been extremely attracted to you and know I could grow to love you. We're a perfect match for each other on every level. The only thing standing in our way is Angelina and as it is, if I break off the engagement she'll hate both of us if we stay friends. Run away with me."
Is this as terrible as I think it is now that I've typed it all up? It was better in my head and when I wrote it on the paper. Now, not so much.

You (or a 3rd-person character) are in love with your best friend's fiance, and your best friend is considering breaking off the engagement. What do you do?