Status: old story I started a long time ago, decided that it was finally time to continue

The King of Mars

Rebirth

Tobi


It was like being born, coming out of my shelter.

My shelter, the underground room that has been my home for as long as I can remember. I can't even begin to describe the feeling I got as I climbed to the top of the ladder leading out of my hole, turned the hatch, heard the glorious clunk of the hatch unlocking, and felt fresh air on my face. I also can't describe the feeling of climbing out, looking for signs of life expectantly... and seeing nothing but a wasteland stretch out before me. My backyard was a barren desert of stone and sand. It was cold out, only the naked branches of hardy looking vegetation dared to venture out from patches of dirt and dead grass. I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but I didn't expect to be so alone, lost in the middle of what used to be home.

My eyes surveyed the nearby area. There was a black duffel bag about five feet away. Anticipation grew in my chest as I walked over to it and picked up a hastily written note:

Tobias, the contents of this bag will be
able to protect you for a little while at least.
Be careful, this isn't the world that we left behind.
Sorry that there isn't anything
more I can do for you.


This must be from Dad, I thought, it has to be. I pocketed the note and looked at the bag. It was very bulky. I unzipped it and the first thing I pulled out was a shotgun... oh. Suddenly, I felt the urge to go back into my hole and hide. But I have work to do. Setting the shotgun aside, I fished out a strange outfit. It looked like some kind of hard leather chest plate with a chain mail hood. A pair of tie-on leg pads made from the same material completed the outfit, along with a tool belt full of stuff I'm positive will prove useful. A long bowie knife fit onto the belt and this archaic, animal skin pouch full of some bitter-smelling liquid. The last few items to come out were a box of shotgun shells (duh), a burlap sack filled with shards of coal (what?), and a playing card with a big N written on the back (okay, now I'm confused). With nothing left, I put the strange armor on over my clothing so I looked like some kind of medieval rogue. I descended back into my hole to fill the duffel bag with whatever supplies I had left (some food, a Geiger counter/compass multi tool, my radio, my favorite book, a flashlight, a few boxes of matches, and medical stuff I never had to use). Assuming the N on the back of the playing card meant north, I took one last longing look at hatch in the ground and left for the wasteland.