The Girl From the Woods

24

I wanted to call the detective that had been questioning me about Rachel, but I knew if I did he wouldn't believe me. To him, I was the prime suspect in her murder, and nothing was going to change his mind.

But maybe the truth would.

I dressed, gathered my keys and wallet, and headed to the precinct.

**


I didn't have to wait long. The detective met me in a few minutes, but he didn't look surprised to see me. He probably thought my guilt had gotten to be too much and I was coming to confess.

"So you didn't leave town," he said as I sat down in the interrogation room. "That was smart. Are you coming to tell me why you killed Rachel Saunders?"

Dragging a hand through my hair, I shook my head. I didn't want to give him any more reason to hate me. "I didn't kill her, as I explained many times before. I'm here to tell you that I got a phone call this morning from a man named Victor." I watched his eyes wide a fraction with recognition, and smirked. "Yes, that Victor. He confessed to killing Rachel."

His eyes narrowed, and he thrust a manila folder toward me. "We've been keeping track of your phone records, Mr. Mathers, and there wasn't any call to your cell today. Do not lie to me about this. I know that you're responsible, and you should just come clean, make it easier for yourself."

"What would make this easier?" I asked. "You've already convinced yourself that I'm guilty. You're not even looking for anyone else."

He slammed his fist on the table, rattling it. "She was found on your property. That's all the evidence I need."

"You had your officers search my apartment, didn't you?" I replied. "Did they find anything that connected me to Rachel at all?"

"We found her body, Quinn." He looked like he wanted to reach across the table and grab me in anger. "That's it. You're done."

I lowered my head, the anger I felt slowing dissipating.

The only thing I felt now was defeat.