Status: no mas

Overrated

I don’t mind it

“Are you staying tonight?”

Elway shakes her head.

“I’m meeting with Sam tonight, sorry.”

Sam Kinson is fucking overrated, John thinks.

“No, don’t worry, it doesn’t really matter. I just asked in case I had to actually feed you,” he smiles.

She doesn’t say anything back, just gets off his couch to grab her shoes and put them on. She leaves without saying anything. John knew he shouldn’t have said anything earlier when she became tense and stopped speaking until he asked her what she’d do that night, but he felt as though he might as well have shot himself in the foot when she left silently.

-

John doesn’t see Elway for a few days until he purposefully goes to the Anthropologie she has a parttime shift at. It's a huge fucking risk, he knows it. She may not be there in the first place, but she most likely wouldn't even talk to him. John's all about risks, anyway.

“Elway,” he catches her walking by a disgusting bookshelf he has no doubt someone with fall in love with and buy. “Hey.”

“Hey, I’m working,” but she doesn’t leave. She doesn’t even start to walk away. She loves this.

“Yeah, no, I just wanted to know if you’d wanna hang out later?” He hates this.

“I’ll come by after my shift if I can,” she answers.

“I’ll keep my door open,” he smiles.

“Are you gonna buy anything?” She asks. They both know, no, because he only came for her. John doesn’t even know why he wants to lie. Elway knows he’s going to.

He’s forced to buy overpriced curtains. His mom’s birthday is probably coming up, anyway.

-

He’s apologized, she’s accepted, and they’ve fucked. She falls asleep to CSI, away from him. He hears what’s either his or her phone vibrating on the floor, and he doesn’t even look. He doesn’t care if it’s his and he’ll throw the phone out the window if it’s Elway’s and Sam is calling her. Yeah, Sam is completely overrated.

It’s not even 9:00 at this point, so John’s not entirely sure when Elway will wake up and what she’ll do when she does. He maybe wants her to never wake up.

She does in the middle of the night, but John hasn’t had any sleep and he stops her by asking her before she leaves the room to please, stay, just for tonight. Either Elway is too tired to leave or she finally falls for the urgency in his voice. She stays for the first time.

John thinks he can sleep now. “It’s too dangerous to go home now,” he mumbles before he does, not sure why when she probably can’t hear him. He thinks the point wasn’t to save face with her, probably with himself.

-

A few hours later when everything is brighter, Elway says this is it.

“I really have to go now,” and John doesn’t know if he believes her.

“Why?” He asks, but she doesn’t answer, she doesn’t have to.

“Why do you want to see Sam?” He persists.

“Who says I’m gonna see him?” She actually looks at him now. John feels stupid.

“You always do. I’m not sure if this is one of those times.”

She laughs a little.

“One of those times,” she repeats. She gets up and kisses him. It feels like a slap in the face.

Around noon, he gets a text message.

El:
Can you pick me up from Sam’s?


He wants to cry. He wants to see her more than anything though.