‹ Prequel: Hope in the Rain

Autumnal Equinox

Wedding

The morning of our wedding arrived. I was in the washroom, bent over the chamber pot. Pendragon was cooing in my ear when Sylvia came in.

“Milady?” she called. “Where are you?”

“In here,” I said weakly.

“Are you ill?” she asked, rushing over to me.

“With nerves,” I murmured and she smiled kindly.

“Come, we have much to do to prepare you for the celebration.”

‘Much to do’ must be their way of saying ‘three hours to make sure your gown, hair, and make up are accurate’ here. I was getting restless and frowned when Sylvia showed me the shoes that had been made.

“No,” I said forcefully.

Sylvia sighed. “I’ve been ordered to have you wear these. I will not get in trouble just because you are stubborn.”

“They must be taller than the other ones!”

She knelt down and slipped the heels onto my feet. I groaned and stood slowly. I turned and viewed myself in the mirror.

My wedding gown was floor length and brilliantly white and blue. Real leaves preserved in gold were stitched meticulously in the skirts. The bodice was laced tightly around my small frame. It was much too low cut for my liking but, after the last few days, I did not want to do more to upset Queen Harriet. A blue lace choker was tied around my neck and a black necklace hung from it. My auburn hair was curled and hung loose around my shoulders. My cheeks were lightly rouged and my lips painted gold.

Must I go like this?

I turned around and broke into a fit of giggles. My mother had fashioned a little blue suit for him to wear, complete with matching gold bowtie.

“You look very handsome, Pendragon,” I cooed.

Sylvia put a light blue veil on top of my head as my door opened. My mother came in and Sylvia bowed out. When the door was shut, my mother pulled me into a tight hug, crying quietly.

“Oh, Mother,” I said with a watery laugh.

“You look beautiful,” she sniffled, straightening out my veil. “I can’t believe you’re getting married!”

“Where’s Father?”

“He is talking with Prince Logan,” she answered. “He’ll be here soon.”

We heard trumpets announcing the arrival of guests and I began to shake.

“Mother,” I breathed.

Her lower lip was quivering as my father opened the door.

“Well, look at what a beautiful daughter I have,” my father whispered. “It’s time,” he added and I gulped.

The three of us embraced and I took my father’s arm. Pendragon nestled on my shoulder.

Are you ready, Mother?

“Yes,” I said then stopped walking. “No. No, I’m not.”

We were at the top of the stairs and guests were going into the ballroom.

“I can’t do this,” I gasped, trying to walk away. My parents stopped me. “I’m not ready.”

I began to hyperventilate and my mother took my face in her hands. I swallowed and looked at her in panic.

“It’s okay,” she assured me. “Calm down. Breathe with me.” I did as she said. “Remember what I told you about our marriage?”

I nodded. “You had some uninvited guests.”

“That’s right,” she said, kissing my forehead. “But your father and I worked through it. Seth tried to ruin everything but your uncle helped us. It’s the same thing here.”

“Except no one is trying to kill me,” I joked and they both laughed.

“You can do this,” my father said firmly and took my arm again.

“But what about Queen Harriet?” I whispered and gestured at the designs. “She’s taken everything we wanted and switched it on us.”

“At least she kept the blue,” my mother offered.

“Listen to me, Autumn,” my father said and I obeyed. “I just spoke with Logan. He’s just as nervous as you are but he is also very excited. Are you not?”

“Of course I am,” I said. “But….”

“Cold feet is normal,” my mother said. “For now, though, your future husband is waiting for you.”

I gulped and nodded, walking beside my father again. I descended the stairs carefully, holding my skirts up so I couldn’t trip. We paused outside of the ballroom. Queen Harriet was standing there in an elaborate dress. In fact, it looked a little too elaborate and I wondered who this wedding ceremony was really for. She hadn’t spoken to me since the incident with the music but she beamed at me when she saw me.

“Are you ready, my future daughter-in-law?” she asked.

I nodded mutely and she and my mother entered in front of us. My knees were shaking as music came from the orchestra, announcing my arrival. My father squeezed my arm and led me into the ballroom.

It was decorated beautifully. There were blue curtains hanging from the ceiling and draping over the guests. There were more curtains draped throughout the room but I noticed the majority of them were golden. The carpet was silver. I was annoyed. That was, until I saw Logan.

He stood at the altar, grinning from ear-to-ear. His suit was blue with a silver tie. He was standing straight and I couldn’t take my eyes off of him. When we approached him, my father kissed my hand and passed it to Logan’s. He and Logan shared a handshake and my father went to sit beside my mother.

With slightly shaking hands, Logan lifted my veil. I smiled shyly at him but he had frozen when he saw me. I blushed as our fingers laced together. I clicked my tongue and Pendragon lifted from my shoulder and to my mother’s lap. I swallowed thickly, face Logan.

It didn’t take me long to get lost in those beautiful golden eyes. I was vaguely aware of the priest speaking until it was time for me to repeat the vows.

“Do you, Autumn, pledge to give your heart to this man and take him as your husband? Do you pledge to stay by his side no matter what? Do you pledge that in the dark you will be his light? Do you pledge that you will be his blanket in the cold days?”

“I do so pledge,” I said and he grinned.

The priest repeated the vows to Logan.

“I do so pledge,” he breathed and I felt my heart race.

Now was the moment. We slipped rings on each other’s fingers. I heard the priest say we were husband and wife as if he were speaking at the end of a tunnel. Logan took my face in his hands and pressed his lips to mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck as the assembled crowd applauded.

We broke away and I giggled. I wiped the golden lipstick off his lip but he just smiled and pulled me in for another kiss. I laughed into his lips as he lifted me off the floor.

Pendragon let out a high pitched shriek and we turned in shock. But he wasn’t angry. He flew through the air, shooting jets of flame in the air and flying in patterns. I grinned as he continued his show until he descended slowly to my shoulder. I smiled at him and he rubbed his head against mine.

“Please, everyone come out for the celebration,” Harriet said, rising to her feet and gesturing for everyone to do the same.

Logan and I led the way out.

“I’m sorry my mother decided to change things on us,” he whispered in my ear but I smiled at him.

“It doesn’t matter now,” she said and he caressed my cheek.

We cut the cake to loud applause and I got a fork with some cake to feed him, as is tradition. It seemed Logan had a different idea, though, and he forced a piece onto my face. I cried out and laughed, forcing some into his face, too.

For a wonderful hour, things were sunny and bright. Though Harriet didn’t like our cake fight, it was something Logan and I wanted to do. We danced to the song we had picked and I couldn’t take my eyes off of him. He held me close and kept his eyes on mine.

-

“Oh, I’m exhausted,” I said as Logan and I ascended the stairs.

“It was beautiful,” he nodded. “Just like my wife.”

I smiled at him but stopped. “I have got to take these shoes off,” I sighed.

We continued our walk and I stopped at the door to my room but he shook his head.

“We are married now,” he said, leading me to his room. “We share our room now.”

My face turned red but I walked with him all the same. When we got to his room, I set my shoes down. I had only been in it twice before. The colors were gold and silver as I figured they’d be. A fire had been started and, in the window, was a new bed for Pendragon. He flew over to it and I smiled as he shredded the suit into pieces. Logan chuckled behind me and I jumped a little, surprised at how close he was.

As I looked up at him, I suddenly remembered the conversation I had with my mother this morning. I tried not to show my nerves as he leaned in to kiss me. It was gentle and sweet. I put my hands on his chest, my body starting to shake. Under my hands, I could feel him shaking a little, too.

I slipped his jacket off as he untied my dress. As it fell to the floor, I heard Pendragon fly off to give us privacy.