‹ Prequel: Hope in the Rain

Autumnal Equinox

Sylvia

After showing me the different points of interest in the palace, Logan led me back down to the foyer where our parents were gathered.

“Did you have a pleasant time?” my mother asked hopefully and I nodded. “It’s time to finalize the plans for your birthday celebration.”

“Come with me, Logan,” Harriet said. “We need to oversee the family’s move in.”

Logan bowed to me and I curtsied back, watching as they disappeared up the stairs.

“He seems like a fine young man,” I said when I caught my parents staring. “He’s very accepting of Pen.”

“Does Pen like him?” my father asked and we all looked at him.

We all heard the dragon sniff. As long as he keeps his hands to himself.

I rolled my eyes and passed along the message.

My mother smiled. “I’m sure he’ll be very respectful. Now, come to the ballroom. I will show you the layout and then we’ll go to the kitchens. Queen Harriet is making sure they make your favorite foods.”

I was flattered. “Where is his father?”

“Killed in battle,” my father answered sadly.

“Oh my,” I whispered.

My father just cleared his throat and my mother put a hand on his shoulder in comfort. My father was not able to fight in wars. He was in one and was wounded in the leg. After that, he was stuck leading battles instead of being in them. There were days where he could hardly walk from the injury.

The ballroom was elegantly decorated with the colors from our kingdom – blue and white – mixed in with the colors of their kingdom – gold and silver. At the table where we would all be seated, our flags were set on opposite sides to show the merging of our kingdoms. I wondered what would become of my kingdom once I came to this one to rule.

The kitchens were large. There were two: one for main meals and one just for breads and desserts. Smelling the chocolate made me think of Michelle and I sighed, knowing I would miss her terribly. It was mostly my mother making sure everything was in order.

This party will be quite grand. I nodded. Are you excited?

“Excuse us,” I said to my parents and they nodded. I walked out to a balcony that jutted out from the kitchen to let in cool air. “I don’t know, Pen,” I whispered, looking out over their kingdom.

It is very beautiful here.

“But it isn’t home.”

His claws dug into me again. It will be soon. And what of your betrothed? What are your true thoughts?

I glanced over my shoulder to make sure my parents couldn’t hear.

“He does seem fine, of that I was telling the truth.” I closed my eyes as a breeze swept through. “But I hardly know him. He is also very intimidating,” I added, seeing those golden eyes staring into mine as if he could read my soul. “Do you pick anything up?”

No, he said immediately. He is as ordinary as you are.

I nodded. “That is some comfort.”

Something like that will never happen again, Mother.

I sighed, knowing he was speaking the truth.

“I am still frightened,” I admitted.

He was a spy, nothing more.

“If I hadn’t let him-”

None of that. It was not your fault. Come, your mother is watching us.

I returned back into the kitchen, unaware that Logan had been standing in the balcony above me, hearing every word.

-

Queen Harriet showed me to my room. She was looking very excited about something.

“I don’t know what your dragon usually does for sleeping,” she said, practically bouncing, “so I had something put together.”

“Oh, you didn’t have to do that,” I said quickly but she didn’t answer.

She opened the door and, immediately, Pen flew to the window. It was open and it went out a bit. A blue and white bed had been crafted just for him with flames and dragon scales sewn into it.

Look at this, Mother!

I smiled. “He loves it. Thank you.”

I looked around the rest of the room. There was a large four poster bed with a thin silver curtain. The covers were golden and the sheets pure white. A fireplace was to the right and a vanity to the left. Two doors were on each side, one leaving to a closet and the other to a washroom.

“Go ahead and freshen up,” Harriet said. “The party will begin in an hour so you should get ready.”

“Thank you,” I said and she beamed before leaving, closing the door behind her. I grinned at Pen. “Are you comfortable?”

It is incredible.

“Will you warm my water for me?” I asked, looking into the washroom.

There was a place for firewood but I’m sure my mother told them I didn’t need it. Pen flew into the washroom and settled at the base. As I stripped for a bath, he blew a steady stream of fire until the water was steaming. I bathed, letting my muscles loosen, and sighed. I tried to get used to the idea of living in the castle. While I was wrapping a robe around my body, the door to my bedroom opened, a girl screamed.

I hurried out to see a servant girl, staring at Pen with huge eyes, and grasping a dress to her body. I tried not to laugh.

“It’s okay,” I told her and she looked at me in fear. “I promise. He’s very kind.” I closed the door but she didn’t move. “What’s your name?”

“S-Sylvia,” she stammered. “You sure he won’t attack me?”

“Come, Pen,” I said and he obeyed, nestling on my left shoulder. “This is Sylvia,” I introduced though he didn’t need it. “Sylvia, this is my companion Pendragon.”

He extended his neck but she seemed unsure of what to do. I took her hand gently and had her do the familiar action my parents did of running her finger down his neck. He purred and she relaxed visibly.

“He seems… kind,” she breathed and I smiled.

He took off to nestle back on his bed.

“So, I’m assuming that’s my dress for tonight?” I asked and she nodded, turning a little red. “How old are you, Sylvia?”

“Fifteen,” she answered. “I will be your personal servant.”

“How about friend?” I asked, remembering how that was the relationship my mother had with my Aunt Kelli.

She smiled shyly. “Let me help you dress.”

I let her but, before we did my hair, I remembered about Pen’s ointment. He was suffering from dry scales, something that happened when they shed their scales, and I knew it was incredibly uncomfortable.

Do not worry about me, Mother.

“I know you are uncomfortable,” I shook my head and rubbed the ointment on him gently. “Is that better?”

Much. I thank you. You might want to explain what is happening to dear Sylvia, though. She looks at you as if you have gone insane.

I turned and caught her expression before she changed it. I giggled and told her what I had told Prince Logan.

“So you’ve had him since he was a hatchling?” she asked, drying out my hair and brushing it gently.

“Yes. It’s a beautiful sight.”

“I can imagine although he still scares me a little.”

“You’ll get used to him. Have you worked in the castle your whole life?”

She nodded, pinning my hair up in an extravagant bun. She left a little hair to fall in the back and tilted her head to admire the look.

“My mother is the cook,” she explained. “My father is a guard. When we heard that you would be coming here, I… well I asked Queen Harriet to be your servant.”

She was very red.

“Why?”

She fiddled with the necklace she was placing on me. “It gets rather dreary in the kitchens. My mother loves it, of course, but it’s not for me.”

“What’s your mother’s name?”

“Gertrude,” she answered then went to get my shoes. “The queen had these made specifically for tonight.”

I stared at them. “They look so painful!”

She looked taken aback at my shock. “They are what’s in fashion.”

“Oh dear,” I muttered but let her slip the heels on me.

I stood and wobbled. I had to have gained two more inches in height. I took a few experimental steps but tripped. Sylvia caught me before I could fall to the floor.

“I have to dance in these?” I asked incredulously, lifting my skirts to look at them. “I mean, they’re beautiful but I can hardly walk!”

“You’ll get used to it,” Sylvia assured me and someone knocked.

“It’s time,” a guard said and Sylvia nodded.

I sighed and clicked my tongue twice. Pen flew onto my shoulder and Sylvia flinched. I gave her another kind smile and did my best to walk without tripping and falling flat on my face. That was the last thing I needed. When we got to the stairs, I looked at them in dismay.

Here comes the groom, Pen sang and I resisted the urge to flick his head. He laughed. Go. He is waiting.

“I’m trying,” I said through clenched teeth.

I walked as gracefully as I could to the prince. He held out his arm and I groaned quietly. The foyer was filled with guests. Which meant more witnesses to my embarrassment.

“Don’t worry,” Logan whispered, his lips barely moving as he smiled at everyone. “Just lean into me and you should be fine.”

“These shoes are a monstrosity,” I whispered back and he snorted, holding back his laughter.

I forced a smile on my face. People were staring at Pen in wonder. I knew rumors had spread about him through the kingdoms but they probably didn’t believe them. For his part, Pen was on his best behavior.

I waved as Logan did and we led the way into the ballroom. When we finally got to the table, he held my chair out for me. I was so eager to sit, that I tripped on the hem. My eyes widened but Pen fluttered in front of me, putting on a bit of a show as I fell into the table. Red as a tomato, I sat and Logan pushed in my chair.

Pen was breathing fire in the air and flying circles and the assembling crowd laughed and applauded. When he returned my shoulders I slipped him a piece of meat.

“Thank you,” I whispered and he purred, bumping his head to mine.

You are welcome, Mother. Try to enjoy tonight, please.

“I will try.”