‹ Prequel: Hope in the Rain

Autumnal Equinox

A Walk

I didn’t go down to breakfast the next morning. Pendragon and I sat in my bedroom, trying to think of how to appeal to Logan and get back on his good side. I wanted him to understand why Pendragon behaved how he had.

“Should I tell him about Rorick?” I whispered finally.

I do not know. Perhaps only if he asks.

I wiped a tear away and glanced out the window. The sun was high in the sky and I knew I couldn’t hide any longer. I dressed and Pendragon sat on my shoulder. The halls were empty and I pondered where he would be at this time of the day.

Try the throne room.

I descended the stairs, keeping my eyes on the floor. When I reached the throne room, it was silent. I poked my head in to see Queen Harriet and Prince Logan holding hands with their heads bowed. I recognized the act as praying and wondered to whom and what they were praying.

When they parted I cleared my throat, stepping in slowly. They both turned and I gulped thickly. Pendragon retreated to behind my head, gripping onto my gown tightly, obviously worried himself.

“I wanted to explain last night,” I said in a high voice. “Pendragon thought you were hurting me.”

“Hurting you?” Harriet repeated. “My son would never hurt you.”

“Pendragon didn’t understand,” I explained, looking at them. Logan was nodding thoughtfully, walking slowly to his throne. “He is only three years old. I have not had time to explain all human behavior to him.”

“But you explained what happened last night?” she asked and I nodded.

“He wishes to apologize,” I continued and tucked my auburn hair behind my ear. “You see, last year….” I cleared my throat. “Um, last year we were attacked from within. The… the person was close to me. Pen saved me from…. Well, he saved all of us. Since then….”

“He wants to make sure it never happens again,” Logan finished and I nodded. “As I said last night, you two are both forgiven. But I do not want it to happen again.”

“It won’t,” I said quickly and Pendragon slowly peeked around my head. “He wishes to make amends in his way,” I said slowly, frowning at him.

Logan looked uncomfortable. “And what exactly is his way?”

Pendragon extended his wings and floated over to Logan. Logan tensed as Pendragon landed lightly on his lap. He stared at me but I just nodded in encouragement.

Pendragon bowed his long neck and made a trilling noise that lifted into the air into a pleasant melody. Logan’s lips parted in curiosity again and he slowly reached toward the dragon. Pendragon rested his head on the back of Logan’s hand and purred as he sang.

When he stopped, he flew back to my shoulder.

“That was beautiful,” Logan muttered. “What was it?”

“The Song of Apology,” I answered, scratching the bottom of his chin. “I taught it to him.”

“Where did you learn it?”

“I made it up,” I admitted. “He had burned my bed down and I demanded he apologize. So, we came up with the song.”

“It really was beautiful,” Queen Harriet added. “Shall we continue as nothing happened?”

“I would love that,” I breathed and Logan nodded his agreement.

“Great! Because today the two of you will be spending the day together,” she said, beckoning her son over to me. “Tomorrow we will make the decisions for your wedding.”

“When is the wedding?” I asked.

“In one week,” she answered promptly and ushered us out of the throne room. “Now, go, do what you two wish.”

The door closed behind us and I shifted my feet uncomfortably. He took my arm and led me outside of the castle. It was autumn and a cold breeze lifted my hair, causing me to shiver slightly.

“Are you cold?” he asked, leading me around to the back of the castle.

“Just the breeze,” I muttered. “It’s nothing I can’t handle.”

“Why did your parents name you Autumn?”

“Because I was born on the first day of autumn,” I answered. “And my hair reminded my father of the falling leaves.”

“Your parents seem like wonderful people,” he said. “Why do they wish you to marry me?”

“There is a law set in place by my great-grandmother. All young women in our kingdom are to be married when they are 21.”

“And if they are not?”

“They are ostracized and sent to live on their own.”

He frowned. “That’s horrible.”

“She was horrible woman.”

“Why has your father not changed it?”

“He tried. It was… well, the kingdom had grown so accustomed to the law that they wanted it to stay. It makes being a woman there difficult.”

“So I am merely a way to keep you from jail or worse,” he said.

He didn’t seem angry, just indifferent.

“I don’t think so. I think it’s more that they want me to be happy, just like I’m sure your mother wants you to be.”

He made a sour face. We had reached a fountain and we sat. Pendragon floated down to drink from the water.

“My mother cares only for the advancement of our kingdom,” he said. “After my father’s death, she has been struggling to keep the kingdom in peace. She views our marriage as a way to reach the next rung on the ladder to make it seem like she is a wise leader.”

I blanched at his harsh words. “Why do you speak of your mother in such a way? She seems like-”

“Exactly,” he interrupted. “She puts on an act. The only time she’s truly herself is when it is just me and her or when we pray.”

We watched as Pendragon drank then jumped in surprise when a fish swam up to the surface. The two animals looked at each other in curiosity. Pen lowered his head to sniff at the water just as the fish moved, startling Pen. He jumped and landed in the fountain.

We both laughed as he panicked and flapped in the water, soaking us both. I stood as the poor dragon managed to get out.

I am wet Mother!

I snorted. “You’re not the only one, Pen,” I said and told Logan what the dragon had said.

“He’s not so bad when he’s not trying to claw my face off,” he observed as Pendragon tried to dry himself off.

He was looking extremely miffed and I did my best not to laugh at him again.

“He hates being wet,” I said and the dragon did a vicious shake, spraying us with water again.

We continued to walk the grounds. Pendragon flew to dry himself quicker. After the clumsiness that was Pendragon, the air around us became lighter, much to my relief. We joked around a little and he told me of the few pets he had as a kid.

“I had a little wolf,” he said, smiling a little at the memory. “I don’t remember what I named him but he was a hellion. He would chase my nanny around the room when she tried to give me extra whippings.”

I giggled and he held my hand. Pen’s head turned on my shoulder but I clicked my tongue once.

Flirting?

I nodded.

“This is very fascinating,” Logan observed.

“What is?”

“Seeing the link you and Pendragon have,” he answered. “You need not say anything yet you communicate smoothly.”

“It’s always been like this; ever since he first walked out of the shell.”

“I wonder what it would be like to have such a connection with something or someone.”

I looked at him. “Maybe one day you will.”

His eyes locked with mine. Before we could say anything, the door to the back of the castle opened.

“Why are you two dripping?” the queen asked, eyes wide and we laughed.

“Pen is a little clumsy,” I said as my parents joined us outside. “He fell into the water.”

My mother chuckled. “He loathes the water,” she explained. “Is everything… okay?”

I nodded and Logan smiled.

“Yes,” he said.

“It is dinner time, your Majesties,” a servant girl said and Logan motioned for me to walk through first.

I am growing to… accept this young man.

I giggled.