‹ Prequel: Hope in the Rain

Autumnal Equinox

Wedding Plans

“They’re in the hidden room!”

“How can we believe you? They were obviously expecting us! You have led us false!”

I trembled beside my mother. My father had his hand pressed firmly against my mouth. I wanted to cry out for Pendragon but I didn’t know where he was. He had disappeared as we fled for the safe room.

“Do you really think I went through all this trouble to lie?” I heard the voice of the man I loved sneer.

“If they’re not in there, I will kill you.”

There were heavy footsteps then the hidden door flew open. I screamed just as a column of fire engulfed our would-be attackers.


Mother! Mother, wake up!

I sat up with a small scream. I was in my bedroom, sweating and shaking. I looked around wildly and screamed again when someone knocked on the door.

“Autumn?” my mother called. “Autumn, are you all right?”

I relaxed a little and Pendragon, who had been on my lap, flew to the door and opened it with his tail. When she saw me, pale as the sheets wrapped around me, and sweating, she ran over.

“What is it?” she asked, looking me in the eyes. “Was it the nightmare?”

I nodded and she pulled me into a hug.

It had been a long time since I had dreamt of that awful night. I could only assume it was because I had spoken of it to Queen Harriet and Prince Logan.

Someone is coming. It smells like the queen.

I quickly collected myself just as Queen Harriet walked in.

“Is everything all right?” she asked. “I heard screaming.”

“Yes,” I breathed. “Just a night terror, that’s all.”

She nodded and left. Something was strange and I nodded once to Pendragon who lifted into the air silently.

“Where is he going?” my mother whispered.

“I’ve sent him to follow her,” I whispered back and she rounded on me.

“What do you think you’re doing?” she hissed. “You can’t just-”

“Let go of me!” the queen screamed and we scrambled out of the bed and into the hall.

A man in all black had grabbed the queen from behind. He pressed his hand over her mouth and, when he saw us, he tried to drag her away. What he didn’t know, was just behind him in the shadows. Pendragon swooped down and clawed at the man’s face. I could tell he wasn’t using flame for fear of hurting the queen.

The man yelled in pain and fell to the floor, clutching his face. Pendragon barreled into his chest and pinned him down. Down the hall, Logan came running out in just his night trousers, his hair tussled.

“Guards!” he yelled when he had taken in the sight.

Two guards rounded the corner almost immediately and they carried the screaming man away. Pendragon stayed between the queen and the guards until he knew that it was safe then he flew back to me.

“Mother, are you all right?” Logan asked, helping her to her feet.

She was shaking. “Yes, yes I’m fine. Thanks to Pendragon,” she added, looking at the dragon in wonder.

“What happened?”

I told him about the suspicious feeling I had and how I had sent Pendragon into the hall. Logan listened raptly until the end.

“Is this true? He saved you?”

“Yes, Logan,” his mother said softly.

“I do not understand,” he muttered to no one in particular. “I must get my mother to bed,” he said finally to the rest of us. He looked at the dragon. “You have my thanks, Pendragon.”

“He says he will keep an eye on the castle for the remainder of the night,” I passed along and Pendragon disappeared down the hall behind us.

My mother walked me back to my room, both of us shaken. My father was outside my door and we told him what we had witnessed. I was deeply troubled by more than just the attempted kidnapping.

“First the nightmare, then the queen,” I said slowly.

“It must be coincidence,” my father said. “You must be tired. Sleep.”

I nodded and they left. I felt uneasy without Pendragon and locked the window he normally slept in.

--

I hadn’t slept one wink the whole night. Pendragon tapped on my window shortly after sunrise and I hurried to open it.

“Did you see anyone else?” I asked immediately but he shook his head.

No. They have taken the man down to the dungeons. Mother, they have a torture chamber.

I stared at him. “You’re lying.”

I would never lie to you.

While I was still trying to process this new piece of information, Sylvia came in to help me get ready for the day.

“Are you sick, milady?” she asked, looking at me in worry. “You are very pale.”

I smiled and stood. “No, I am fine. I just didn’t sleep well last night.”

“I heard about the man,” she nodded. “Is it true that it was Pendragon who saved Queen Harriet?”

I smiled fondly at the snoozing dragon. He had been up all night. When we were about to leave, he flew onto my shoulder.

“Are you certain you don’t want to stay here and sleep?” I asked.

I would rather sleep on your shoulder if that is okay.

“Of course it is, Pen,” I whispered and he rested his head on my forearm.

Sylvia took me to the throne room where the queen and prince were praying again. We waited in respect until they were finished. I felt uneasy around them now that I knew about the torture room. I didn’t dare bring it up, though. When they saw us, the queen grinned.

“Now the fun can begin,” she said happily and gestured for us to follow.

Logan looked concerned about my physical being but I just took his arm and followed the queen. On my shoulders, Pendragon was snoring, little puffs of smoke coming from his nostril with each exhale.

“He saw no one,” I reported before they could ask.

They looked disappointed but made no comment.

Had I known how exhausting planning a wedding was, I would have understood why my mother didn’t want to get married. First we picked the cake. We decided on chocolate but then his mother went insane with details. What color frosting did we want? Did we want a special design at the top? How many layers did we want?

Then we went to pick out the colors. I insisted on being all four colors to represent the merging of our kingdoms, something that made Queen Harriet beam. Logan didn’t look pleased and I made a mental note to explain myself later.

Then it was the flowers. After that, the music. Then the rest of the food. Then the choosing of flower girls.

“Mother,” Logan groaned finally.

He and I were in the throne room, leaning on each other for support and practically sleeping on our feet. It was well into the evening and she was going on about table placement.

“What?” she asked, obviously oblivious to our exhaustion.

“Can we please finish this tomorrow?” he asked as I hid a yawn behind my hand.

“Oh. Oh, yes of course! I’m sorry. Let us meet in the dining hall for dinner, though.”

Logan and I yawned in sync as we followed behind the queen. Pendragon was sitting up straight on my right shoulder, his tail flicking impatiently. After I was seated, I looked at him in question.

I really do not like that woman, Mother.

I laughed into my soup, prompting curious stares, and I cleared my throat.

“Pen is still upset about the fountain,” I lied and the rest of the table laughed as well.

Eating dinner only made me more exhausted. I had no idea what Harriet had planned for the following day but I just wanted to sleep forever. Logan accompanied me to my room, giving me the opportunity to explain myself.

“About the colors,” I said and he nodded. “I know how you feel about this and your mother. Things will run smoothly if we do it her way, don’t you think?”

“But this is our wedding,” he said and I blushed. This was the first time we had said it among the two of us. “Surely at least one thing should be chosen by us, don’t you agree?”

“Yes,” I nodded. “We will change the colors in the morning. Is that okay?”

He nodded as well and our eyes locked. He stepped closer and I gulped. But he just kissed my cheek and ran a finger down Pendragon’s spine.

“Good night,” he whispered, his face inches from mine.

“Good night,” I whispered back.

I watched him walk to his bedroom, feeling light headed.

Ahem./i] Pen nipped my ear and I jumped. Time for sleep, Mother, before you pass out in the hallway.

“Yes,” I said distractedly. “Sleep. Right.”