Sequel: Until Forever Comes
Status: In Progress.

I Like the Remix

Thinking Spots

Raelyn had made it to a park and was sitting on a bench when she finally decided to look through the texts and listen to the voicemail from Matt. All of them had been concerned and were asking if she was alright. She swallowed and hit call, putting the phone to her ear before she could chicken out. It rang twice before he picked up. “Rae, you okay?”

“Yeah. No. I will be.” Raelyn responded quickly. She swallowed and took a deep breath to calm herself.

“I’m sorry I hurt you.” She felt her chest ache at his sad tone.

“You didn’t do it on purpose. Your family should come first. And if it doesn’t work out, we can always try again. But you need to at least try.” She reasoned as her throat tightened up.

“Thank you, Raelyn. Maybe we can talk again after this dies down a bit.” He stated quietly, and she could tell he was still beating himself up over the way everything went down.

“I’d like that. You’re still one of my best friends, and I don’t want this to come between it. I’ll talk to you later, Matt.” She promised when she noticed Zacky exiting his car from a nearby parking lot and walking towards the beach. She put her phone back in the pocket of her borrowed hoodie and turned to walk away from where he was headed.
Zacky sighed as he walked along the beach, he was heading for his spot. This was a spot he came to when he needed to think things out. He spent a lot of time here when Jimmy had died and Brian was too drunk to comprehend. Coming to terms with his death had been rough, he was pretty sure it was big reason his marriage to Gina had failed. Not the only reason, but a big one. She had thought he was cheating on her with all the time he spent going out on his own to think. He frowned when he got around the bend and saw someone leaning against the railing and staring into ocean. Whoever it was had a hood up, he debated leaving them to the space but decided to just lean back and watched in silence. He lit up a cigarette and looked up towards the sky.

Raelyn turned around and groaned, Zacky looked back down and inhaled quickly, he dropped his cigarette as he started coughing hard. He was doubled over, choking on smoke from his own stupid response to seeing her here. She did the last thing he expected when she walked closer and patted his back until the coughing subsided. “Thanks.” He mumbled out in a raspy voice.

“I may not like you. But that doesn’t mean you deserve to die… Plus, I think that would be a little embarrassing.” Raelyn stated boldly. She stepped away and leaned back against the guard railings. “Is there a reason you’re stalking me?” Her tone matched her eyes, icy.

“I’m not.” He answered too quickly. “This is where I come to clear my head and think. I’ve been doing it since I was in high school. I remember making out with Gina after senior prom here.” He admitted with a slight frown.

Raelyn glared at him. “I’d like to forget your senior prom.”

“Why?”

“Timmy. After you conned my parents into thinking I’d be safe with you and your friends since Gina was skipping out on the actual prom. You kept handing me drinks, the next morning I woke up half dressed next to him.” Raelyn shuddered at the blurry memory.

“Timmy?” His eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

“Your teammate from baseball. He didn’t even like me but he was sure as hell okay with sleeping with me.” She sneered. Zacky’s face fell almost immediately. “I worshipped the ground you walked on up until that point.” She admitted quietly.

“I… I didn’t know… I was stupid. We thought it would be funny to see you drunk… We didn’t think leaving you alone would cause any problems because no one was into you like that.” He admitted as he remembered Timmy gloating about how he had gotten some on prom night. “Plus you were a sophomore… Most seniors wouldn’t consider a sophomore, much less a nerd.”

“That’s your problem, Zack. You don’t think.” Raelyn growled out. “You never have. And something tells me, you never will. You don’t learn.” Raelyn turned and walked away from him, pausing and glancing back. “I really wish things were different, we used to be friends a long, long time ago. But then you went and turned into a douche. Shouldn’t your girlfriend be here screaming at me?”

“She’s not my girlfriend anymore.” Raelyn simply nodded before turning her back on him and heading towards the main road to start the long walk back to her apartment.
Once she made it home, she walked into her room and grabbed her skateboard, helmet, elbow and knee pads and headed back out almost immediately. She tossed everything in her backseat and headed for the nearest skatepark. After pulling into the parking lot, she headed straight for the half pipe. She stretched out and then went up to the top and let the excitement sink in. She hadn’t been on the top of a halfpipe in quite sometime, and hoped she still had it in her to pull off the tricks she was planning on trying.

After doing a few tricks, she realized she had an audience when she heard clapping. She slowed to a stop at the bottom and glanced over at where the applause had come from and found herself smiling all over again. “It’s been awhile.”

“It has… What were you fifteen, maybe sixteen when I asked if you would be interested in skating for Birdhouse Skateboards?” The six foot three inch tall man questioned her with a smile.

“Yeah. I think so. What brings you here, Mr. Hawk?” She questioned with a smile as she moved off of the halfpipe so she wouldn’t hold up anyone else who wanted to skate on it.

“Scoping out skaters. This park has always been a good place to look. And please, call me Tony.” He chuckled. “What have you been up to these days?”

“Modeling actually. If my manager knew I was here, he would kill me.” She laughed at the thought of the look that would be on Jeffrey’s face.

Tony put his hand to his chin as he thought for a moment. “He should be happy though, it may have just got you a job. You got a card?” He questioned as she looked at him questioningly. She reached for her wallet and offered him a card for the modeling agency and watched as he whipped out his cellphone. He dialed the number and brought the phone to his ear. “Yes, I was wondering if I could hire one of your models? My name? It’s Tony Hawk.” He rolled his eyes at their reaction. “I’m looking for someone to model for my skateboard equipment line. No this isn’t a prank call. Tell you what, choose a time tomorrow and I will come in personally to choose a model. And I can be a bit impatient, so hopefully you have one ready. Ten AM is perfect. Have a nice day.” He hung up the phone and looked back at Raelyn. “Man, they never believe me when I say who I am.” He laughed at the giddy look on her face. “I need someone who can actually do tricks.”

“This is going to be so awesome! Thanks, Tony!” Raelyn threw herself at him, and hugged him.

“Whoa, it’s not a problem.” He pulled away. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” He winked at her and waved before walking away. Raelyn let out an excited squeal once he was out of earshot and then skated back to her car. She tossed her helmet and board in the passenger seat and drove home. She left her board and helmet in the car and headed for her apartment and glared when she took note of the two blondes pounding on her door.

“She’s obviously not home if she hasn’t answered yet. You guys can leave now.” Raelyn answered clearly, she took that moment to start pulling off her elbow pads.

“I just came to warn her to stay away from Brian.” Michelle sneered before snickering. “Realize you need pads to keep you safe? Why don’t you add some bubble wrap?”

Raelyn rolled her eyes. “You passed along your message, now get lost.” Meaghan stepped forward so she was standing right in front of the brunette.

“It’s your fault Zacky broke up with me. Just because you’re a stupid whore and went to hit me.” She growled out.

“First off, you should try brushing your teeth every once in awhile.” Raelyn started as she took a step away from the angry blond. “Second off, I suggest you both leave before I call a lawyer and have restraining orders and charges brought against the two of you.”

Meaghan and Michelle both laughed. “As if you know a lawyer.” Meaghan stated.

“That’s the perk to going to college… Not that you’d know that, but you meet a lot of people that go on to do amazing things. And once the security footage from the studio shows that I didn’t provoke your attack from behind in any way…” Raelyn responded, a threatening tone in her voice.

“But it’ll show that Victoria attacked me!” Michelle stated, quickly coming to her friend’s aid.

“To keep you from attacking me further. Either way, you both lose. So I suggest you leave before I call the police to file harassment charges.” Raelyn reached for her keys and went to unlock her door. “And do me a favor, and don’t bother coming back.” She walked in the door, shot them one more glare and slammed the door in their faces. A satisfied smile came to her face and soon she was back to being excited for what would be happening tomorrow.