Sequel: Until Forever Comes
Status: In Progress.

I Like the Remix

Secrets and Apologies

After a twenty minute drive, Raelyn had made it to the Harmony Lounge and was walking through the doors as Tori started her next song. She was sitting in front of a microphone with an acoustic guitar in her hand. Raelyn bit her lip lightly as she recognized the familiar chords of the song she was playing.

“And I’d give up forever to touch you. ‘Cause I know that you feel me somehow. You’re the closest to heaven that I’ll ever be. And I don’t wanna go home right now. And all I can taste is this moment. And all I can breathe is your life. When sooner or later it’s over, I just don’t want to miss you tonight.” Tori glanced around through the people watching her play. “And I don’t want the world to see me, cause I don’t think that they’d understand. When everything’s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am.” Her green eyes met Raelyn’s blue eyes and she found herself smiling, she gave a slight nod in her direction to acknowledge the fact that her best friend had shown up at all.

“And you can’t fight the tears that ain’t coming. Or the moment of truth in your lies. When everything feels like the movies, yeah, you bleed just to know you’re alive. And I don’t want the world to see me. Cause I don’t think that they’d understand. When everything’s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am.” She glanced over at the doors when she heard them open. Her breath hitched in her throat when she noticed Brian walk in with Zacky following behind him. She shook her head and continued on with the song. She smiled as the crowd clapped for her. “Thank you.”

The owner walked over and spoke into the microphone that was set up, “What do you say, you want Tori to sing one more song?” She asked with a bright smile, getting most of the cafe goers to cheer and clap. “Well, I think that’s settled. Can we get an encore, Miss Thompson?” She asked with a wink. Tori glanced around the room and when her eyes landed on Brian, she nodded automatically as a song came to mind.

She set the acoustic guitar down and pulled out her phone. She looked up a karaoke version of the song she wanted and then asked the owner to play it. “You and me, we made a vow. For better or for worse. I can’t believe you let me down, but the proof’s in the way it hurts. For months on end I’ve had my doubts. Denying every tear.”

She took a breath “I wish this would be over now, but I know that I still need you here. You say I’m crazy, cause you don’t think I know what you’ve done.” She looked directly at Brian with the next line. “But when you call me baby, I know I’m not the only one. You’ve been so unavailable, now sadly I know why. Your heart is unobtainable, even though Lord knows you have mine.” She continued the song with her eyes glued to Brian’s, feeling somewhat happy at the way he looked away and seemed generally uncomfortable with the current situation. Good. He deserves to feel awful.

The song came to an end and she gave a small smile and wave towards the crowd before walking off stage. Raelyn walked up and met her halfway. “You still came.” Tori spoke quietly. “I’m sorry about what I said.” She whispered as she threw her arms around Raelyn. Raelyn returned the embrace tightly.

“I’m sorry too. I was going to tell you.” She promised quietly. “I knew you wouldn’t hear me out with how pissed you were… And then you brought up Matt… And it was like the wind was knocked out of me.” She mumbled as she looked down at the floor, not wanting to pull out of the hug because she didn’t want Tori to see the sad look on her face.

“Rae, I am so sorry about that. That was a low blow… And you didn’t deserve that.” Tori managed to free herself from Raelyn’s arms. She looked into her eyes and gave her a small smile. “Thank you for coming.”

“I wouldn’t miss it.” Raelyn promised with a small smile. “We have to go back to work tomorrow.”

“Thank god. I’m getting bored.” Tori laughed. She frowned when she saw Brian watching her from across the room. “Any idea how tweedle dee and tweedle dumbass knew to come here?”

Raelyn glanced over at the two in question and frowned slightly. “The only thing I can think of is Suzie may have said something. I went and picked up my purse before I came here.” She shrugged, “I think you left Brian in a stupor.” She joked as she took note of the blank expression on his face.

“He’s just lucky I didn’t point him out before I sang the second song.” Tori grumbled, crossing her arms across her chest. “Anyway, let’s get out of here and get some lunch.” She smiled lightly. Raelyn smiled and nodded, Tori threw her arm around Raelyn’s shoulders and the two headed out the door.
It took a moment for Brian to realize that Tori had walked out of the Harmony Lounge. “You don't think she was singing that last song because of me, do you?” He turned to look at Zacky who was staring wistfully towards the door. He seemed to snap out of it the minute Brian put his hand on his shoulder. “Zacky?”

“I'm sorry, what was the question?” He asked once he was focused on the present once more. Brian rolled his eyes, but repeated his question. “You did cheat on her.” He shrugged. He grumbled when Brian punched him in the shoulder. “I'm sorry, next time I’ll lie. Can we go now?”

“We could… But I wanted to ask… You think staring at the door will make her come back?” Brian asked, his signature jackass smirk coming to his face. Zacky glared and punched him in the shoulder in response. “It was an honest question… You could just ask her out…”

“Yeah, because that will go over sooooooo well.” He stated sarcastically. “About as well as you trying to talk to Tori about just about anything.” Zacky smirked as Brian’s face fell. “Enjoy dealing with Michelle,” Zacky finally said as he walked out of the cafe, leaving Brian frowning behind him.

Zacky found himself unwilling to admit that he was starting to like Raelyn to Brian. He had just barely realized it himself. It wasn't like she would ever return his feelings. She had become a confident, self sufficient woman. And she didn't seem to be over the guy from Bullet For my Valentine. How sad was it that he wouldn't even think his name. Zacky shook his head to try and clear it.
“So how does going out to lunch turn into going to a bakery?” Raelyn asked with a laugh as the two looked at the various sweets within the case.

Tori shrugged with a big grin on her face. “We are adults… And we can eat whatever the hell we want to for lunch. Even if that lunch ends up being chocolate cake.” She stated, an excited gleam in her green eyes. Raelyn laughed as she watched Tori put in her order.

Raelyn ordered a slice of tiramisu, and the two took a seat at a table near the window. “So, let me explain what happened.” She paused to take a bite of her cake. “Oh god… I can die happy now,” She mumbled blissfully. “Sorry, anyways, after all the bullshit about me and Tony, I walked down the street and turned the corner and had to stop. I wasn’t feeling that great and was dizzy. I was leaning against a fence when Zacky showed up. He was originally just going to drag me back to the party but I told him not to…” Raelyn paused. “So he took me back to his house when he realized I didn’t have my keys.”

“So that’s all that happened?” Tori asked with a raised eyebrow. Raelyn shook her head.

“I woke up the next day in his room…” She saw Tori give her a look. “Not like that you freak! He wasn’t even in the room. Anyways, I got up and walked towards the stairs and I overheard a conversation. Brian was complaining to Zacky about Michelle. Zacky complained about Meaghan, and then Brian made a good point that even if he didn’t break up with Meaghan because of something related to me… That didn’t mean she knew that. Zacky tried to say I had nothing to do with it… And Brian said he seemed happier before I showed up.” Raelyn bit her lip. Why had she cared about that statement?

Tori frowned, “That’s it? Well that doesn’t seem too bad.”

“Not finished.” She paused and took another bite of her food before speaking again. “Zacky brought up that Michelle had known he was watching you that afternoon, and that his dad was bringing you back into his life. I guess he gave her shit about it, which was why he was hiding out at Zacky’s. But yeah it was weird, and then I dropped my phone down the stairs. Brian left, Zacky offered to drive me home and he was actually…” Raelyn paused as she tried to find a word that didn’t make it seem like she cared, and failed. “Sweet. It was weird.”

“True. Maybe he’s grown up since high school.” Tori offered with a shrug. Just because she hated Brian doesn’t mean she had to completely hate the others. “You really think I left dickhead in a stupor?” She looked hopeful.

Raelyn chuckled. “Yes. He was staring off into space… It almost looked like he was drooling.” She smiled as Tori laughed and it took her mind off of her other issue at hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading, I hope you like it. Song credits go out to Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls, and I'm Not the Only One by Sam Smith.