Sequel: Until Forever Comes
Status: In Progress.

I Like the Remix

And the Verdict is...

Chapter 25
“She may be my sister. But I don’t like the way she’s acting… It’s none of her business who you’re dating.”

Raelyn sat calmly at the table with Jenny as Michelle’s lawyer tried to dispute the charges. She was somewhat surprised that the members of Avenged Sevenfold were sitting in benches to watch the case unfold. She had expected Val since she had offered to testify if need be. Tori was watching intently from the first row as well. “Objection,” Jenny stated when she heard a statement that Raelyn had been zoned out for. “Calls for speculation.”

“Sustained.” The judge spoke firmly. “Mr. Jenkins get to the point.”

“Yes your honor.” He spoke quickly. He then looked at Raelyn before turning back to the bartender. “How do you know the defendant?”

The man in question let out a sigh, hoping this would be over soon. “She and her friends come to this restaurant a lot. She likes to try and flirt her way into getting free drinks.” He stated with a frown. “It’s part of the reason she usually walks up to the bar alone.”

“Don’t you think you’re speculating a little bit there?” Mr. Jenkins asked almost immediately. “It’s a little rude to be insinuating what you’re insinuating.”

Jake rolled his eyes. “Actually, it’s not. She told me if I wasn’t busy after my shift that she’d show me a good time if I forgot about her tab for the night. Sorry, dude.” He glanced towards Brian who was fuming at this point. “Her and the blonde behind her pulled that shit all the time.” He stated referring to Meaghan who had come as a witness and a ‘friend.’

“No further questions.” Mr. Jenkins stated with a look of frustration.

“Very well, counselor would you care to cross examine?” The judge asked Jenny who stood up.

“Yes, thank you, Judge Lowe. Jake, you said earlier that the defendant pulls this kind of stunt often. Would you clarify what you mean?” Jenny asked with a polite smile.

“Sure. She comes up to the bar and tries to get free drinks. She’d come and meet up with guys every once in awhile when she didn’t get her way and con them into buying drinks for her too.”

Jenny nodded and frowned. “That sounds annoying. The night in question, that the alleged photographs were taken, did Ms. Dibenedetto come up to the bar for drinks?”

Jake spoke firmly. “Yes.”

“And did you hear her saying something as she came up that was not referring to drinks that night?”

“Yeah, she was on the phone telling someone that she had photos that would embarrass the hell out of…” He paused and shook his head. “Please excuse my language, ‘That slut.’” He put air quotes around the words ‘that’ and ‘slut.’ “And that it would help whoever it was with their little problem.”

Jenny nodded and then spoke again since it wasn’t a jury court case, she didn’t have to pause to let them absorb the information. “What else was she saying to give the idea that she might have more use for the photos?”

Jake glanced towards Michelle who was glaring at him angrily and then towards Raelyn who was sitting there, carefully controlling her expressions so she didn’t seem smug, happy or anything that may make her seem unfavorable for any reason. “She said something about contacting TMZ. That this story was too much for her to keep to herself. She went on to hang up and ask me for a drink, she batted her eyelashes and leaned in real close, asked if I was almost done with my shift. Said she could think of a few things we would enjoy doing together.” He grimaced at the memory.

“Do you remember seeing anything else?” Jenny asked.

“Actually yes. I saw her holding her phone up at the table where Mr. Hawk and the plaintiff were sitting. I wasn’t sure what she was doing, but I saw her do it.” He admitted. “I’m a huge Tony Hawk fan, so I was kinda checking out that table all night.” He admitted, somewhat embarrassed.

“No further questions, thank you, Jake.” The judge let him leave the bench and looked at both parties before speaking quickly.

“Closing arguments.”

Jenny walked up to make hers first. “The photos were taken by the same model of phone that the defendant has. The photographs were sent from the defendant’s personal email address, and the bartender was able to identify her as the one who took the photographs. She had no real argument other than she doesn’t think it hurt my client that much. Meanwhile, my client has gotten grief from her family and friends. She’s worked small time jobs compared to the jobs she was working before the incident, and she is just outright hurt and upset with the entire situation. And let the records show, we were willing to settle outside of court.”

Mr. Jenkins walked up and looked the judge in the eyes as he spoke next. “My client and I believe Jake, the bartender, is lying. That his admiration of Mr. Hawk is what’s blinding him from the truth. Surely, my client isn’t the only one who held a phone up near that table. And she sent an email, she didn’t force TMZ to post any photographs… That was solely their decision. If anything, Ms. Benson should be suing TMZ.” He finished lamely as he stepped back and took a seat.

The judge nodded before speaking. “Well, Mr. Jenkins, you make valid points…” Michelle smiled at the beginning of the sentences. “However, there was no need for her to take those photographs in the first place. And no one forced your client to send them to TMZ. It is my belief that she sent them with the intention to cause harm. Listen to me very well, Ms. Dibenedetto. You are very lucky that Ms. Benson decided to do this in a small claims court. She could have sued you for worse than five thousand dollars. Judgement for the plaintiff in the amount of five thousand dollars.” The judge banged the gavel once. “Let this be a lesson to you.” She told Michelle firmly as the officer in the court held open the doors to let the lawyers, Michelle and Raelyn leave.
Raelyn pulled the suit jacket off once she had reunited with Tori in the lobby of the courthouse. She glanced over at Jenny as she stood by. “I don’t know how you can wear suits every day for work.”

“Most older judges don’t take me seriously when they see my tattoos.” Jenny shrugged as she unbuttoned her jacket. “It’s part of the reason I usually wear long sleeved blouses as well. Congrats on the win.” She smiled at Raelyn as Tori threw her arms around the brunette. Jenny chuckled for a moment.

All three glanced down the hall when they heard screaming. “This is all your fault!” Michelle was screaming at Jenkins. “You had one job! ONE JOB! I wasted so much time with you!” Brian looked uncomfortable as he took a step away from the unfolding chaos.

“It’s not my fault you-” Before he could continue, Michelle slapped him. “You should watch it, you’re going to find yourself in jail or trapped in more lawsuits.” He growled with a glare before storming away before the guard nearby could get involved.

The three tattooed women shared a glance with one another before looking towards the exit. “We should probably go before hurricane Michelle gets here.” Tori mumbled just as their gazes met. “Too late.” She sighed as the blonde stormed down the hallway.

“This doesn’t mean anything.” She sneered at Raelyn.

Raelyn tilted her head to the side slightly. “I think it means you owe me five thousand dollars. And that you should get out of my face before that officer puts you in cuffs.” She leaned back and smiled brightly as Michelle glanced back at the person in question. “Have a great day.” She reached in her purse for her keys.

Meaghan stood by Michelle with her arms crossed. She was about to say something but Zacky and Brian walked past the two and stopped in front of Tori, Raelyn and Jenny. “I’m sorry you had to go through all of this. Michelle is being completely immature about the situation.” Brian let out a frustrated sigh. “We’re going home, Shelly.” He stated firmly.

“Whatever. If you think you’re getting anything after you called me immature, you are sadly mistaken.” She hissed.

“How tragic.” He stated sarcastically as he walked ahead of her and out the door with her stomping after him.

“And you’re crazy if you think you’re getting a ride from me.” Zacky told Meaghan who had watched the couple leave. “See you girls around.” He gave a small smile towards the three before walking out the door as Meaghan let out an annoying screech.

Tori shrugged before grabbing Raelyn’s hand and dragging her towards the door with Jenny following. “I don’t need a headache.” She laughed. “So, we need to celebrate. Dinner?”

“I’m in.” Jenny answered with a laugh. “Come on, Rae. We haven’t had dinner together in forever! I think it’s honestly been since college, and you just made some money… So take us out!” Raelyn let out a laugh as she finally managed to her car keys out of her purse.

“Fair enough. I’ll text you a place and time.”
Raelyn leaned against the railing as she stared out at the ocean, a content smile on her face. Michelle had gotten what was coming to her. And when Raelyn had gotten home and checked her messages, she had realized she had gotten a job offer that was similar to the ones she had been getting before the whole fiasco. Things were looking up and she felt at peace for the first time in the past few weeks.

She closed her eyes as the wind blew her hair. She didn’t hear him walk up. “Your lawyer really seemed like she knew what she was talking about.” He shoved his hands in his pockets as he watched her back tense up. “Look, I feel responsible for everything. I was the one who suggested that restaurant, and if I hadn’t bored Michelle half to death, she just would have asked the waiter to bring her another drink. Let me make it up to you.”

Raelyn turned around and leaned back against the railings. “I’m listening.” She stared back into his green eyes.

“Let me take you to dinner.” Zacky requested quickly. He stared at her waiting for any kind of response. Raelyn bit her lip as she contemplated his offer. “It doesn’t have to mean anything if you don’t want it to. But I really want to make it up to you.”

“Okay.” Raelyn conceded with a small smile.

“Come on, just one…” Zacky paused. “Wait… Did you just agree to go to dinner with me?” He asked suspiciously.

Raelyn burst out laughing at the look on his face. “Yes, I’ll go to dinner with you. You seem shocked.”

Zacky stared at her incredulously, “Well, yeah. I was expecting you to say no.” He admitted as he rubbed the back of his neck. “Friday night, I’ll pick you up at seven.” He smiled at her and turned to walk away before Raelyn could change her mind.

She watched him leave and found herself smiling in anticipation for Friday night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so forgive me if the court scene is not accurate. I am not a lawyer, and the only things I know about court rooms and judicial proceedings come from watching shows like The Good Wife, Judge Judy and Law & Order SVU. I want to say thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Any guesses on how well their 'date' is going to go?