Sequel: Until Forever Comes
Status: In Progress.

I Like the Remix

Call Me Sometime

Raelyn stared out the window absentmindedly as Zacky drove down the highway back towards Long Beach, towards her apartment. She pulled her phone out of her purse to double check that Tori hadn’t sent her anything. Once she saw that she had no new notifications, she tucked her phone back in her purse and leaned back against the headrest, closing her eyes as Pantera played on the radio. She was surprised at how calm the silence was between the two of them. To be one hundred percent honest, she was expecting an awkward silence or some form of tenseness during the night. Never in her right mind did she expect to be so at ease with Zachary Baker sitting in the driver’s seat.

She glanced up at Zacky when he reached over and took her left hand in his right hand. He kept his eyes on the road and she glanced away from him as she thought about all the feelings welling up inside her at the realization that she had a good time, and was enjoying the physical contact between the two of them. She swallowed the lump that was forming in her throat as she started to freak out about what that could mean. She shook her head and looked back at Zacky when she heard him ask her if she was okay. “Yeah, just tired.” She mumbled. It wasn’t a complete lie.

He nodded in understanding before looking back at the road. She was overthinking it. It was one night out. And he had been nice. Did that make up for years of misery? Raelyn watched as dark buildings zoomed past the window, silently debating with herself whether or not she was actually happy things went so smoothly tonight. “So I know you probably didn’t really want to come out with me tonight, but I’m really happy you gave me a chance. Even if this is the only chance you decide to give me.” Raelyn’s eyes widened in shock at what Zacky was saying, her head twisting fast enough to look at him that she felt her neck crack.

Zacky looked oddly calm and serious as he stayed focused on the road and refused to look back at her. He ran his thumb across her knuckles lightly and smiled. He pulled off the highway onto a different road and within ten minutes, they were parked in front of her apartment complex. He released her hand and put the car in park, finally taking the time to look at her. “I had a good time tonight, I hope you weren’t completely miserable the whole time.” He grinned as he turned the key, successfully cutting the engine. “Walk you to your door?”

“Sure.” Raelyn mumbled as she quickly unbuckled her seatbelt and let herself out of the car, careful not to trip out onto her face despite feeling super awkward. Once the door was closed behind her, she took a moment to inhale and exhale deeply. She looked back towards her and Tori’s cars in the parking lot before hearing Zacky close his door behind him. She frowned in thought when he didn’t reappear in front of her. She turned around to see him walking around a motorcycle sitting in a visitor parking space a few spaces away. “What’s wrong?” She asked after noticing him staring at it intensely as if it were the most interesting item in the world.

Zacky grunted in response as he took a closer look at the black helmet sitting on the seat. She was about to warn him that a grunt wasn’t exactly an acceptable answer when his eyes lit up. “This is Brian’s bike.” He stated all of a sudden. “Do you know why Brian’s here?” Zacky asked as he dug his phone out of his pocket to see if his friend had sent him any text messages or tried calling while he was out. He had purposefully put his phone on silent and was somewhat surprised to see the only missed call was from his mother.

“No?” Raelyn asked as she dug out her phone to see if Tori had sent her anything in the short amount of time since she checked her phone last. “I don’t think Tori would let him inside our apartment, so I’m a little confused here.” She admitted. “He’s not turning into some creepy stalker is he?!” She asked Zacky with a sudden glare at the idea of Brian being camped outside their apartment.

“No!” Zacky shouted causing Raelyn to take a step back. He rubbed at his face. “I mean, I don’t think so. He and Michelle are having issues… But I highly doubt he turned into a stalker…” Zacky trailed off as he considered the possibility that his friend may be drunk. “If he’s drunk he may be acting creepy though…”

Raelyn sighed, “I swear to god if he’s harassing Tori, I will kill him myself!” She declared as she started heading towards her apartment and digging in her purse for her keys. Zacky followed behind her partially out of curiosity, partially because he said he’d walk her to her door, and finally so she wouldn’t murder one of his best friends.

Once they got to her door, he watched as she jammed her key in the door and threw it open. The sight before them left him feeling confused and her feeling conflicted. Brian was sprawled out across the couch with a Nightmare Before Christmas throw blanket covering him. He was completely asleep and there was no sign of Tori. “Do you want me to wake him up and get him out of here?” Zacky’s voice came out hushed and she found herself conflicted again. If Brian was here and there weren’t knives sticking out of him or any sign of a struggle, then that met that Tori let him stay. More evidence to that was the fact that her favorite blanket was laying over the sleeping guitarist. Would Tori care if Raelyn kicked him out?

“No. Tori can do it when she comes back or wakes up or whatever.” Raelyn decided quietly. She glanced back at Zacky who was nodding. “Thank you for a nice night out.” She smiled somewhat shyly at him.

“Maybe we can do it again sometime?” He asked quickly, too quickly, he reached for the back of his neck with his left hand and went to speak again. “I mean if you want to…” He was going to continue rambling on when she surprised him by grabbing his right hand and a pen. She scribbled down her name with a heart next to it and what looked to be all ten digits on her phone number.

He looked up at her with a smile and was surprised when she took a step closer to him and wrapped her arms around his torso. She pulled back slightly and kissed his cheek before leaning up to whisper in his ear. “Call me.” Before he could react she had pulled away and was putting her purse down on the table near the kitchen. She turned around just in time to catch him moving his hand to touch his cheek, she smiled before speaking again, reminding him that he couldn’t just stand there like an idiot. “Goodnight, Zacky.”

“Uh huh…” He mumbled as he slowly backed towards the door and let himself out.
Raelyn had woke up early to an alarm she had set for a early morning run, but upon seeing that Brian was still sleeping on the couch, she had opted for a different idea. With her glasses on and one of her favorite books in hand, she walked out of her bedroom and across the hall into Tori’s bedroom. She sat on the end of her bed, turned on the lamp on her desk and opened the book to one of her favorite chapters and settled in for the long haul.

About twenty minutes later, Tori woke up and sat up confused. “What are you doing on my bed?” She mumbled as she wiped at her tired green eyes. She watched as her best friend made an act out of closing her book and placing it off to her side. When Raelyn met Tori’s eyes, there was nothing but mischief shining behind her blue eyes.

“Care to explain why Brian Haner Jr. is sleeping on our couch?” Raelyn asked with a raised eyebrow. Tori immediately stiffened up, feeling like a teenager trying to explain why a boy had been in her room to her parents.

“Well, he’s here because…” She paused and bit her lip. She sat a little straighter and squared her shoulders. “Because Michelle threw him out of his own house. I was too lazy to argue or kick him out…” She shrugged indifferently but Raelyn could tell by the way that she was avoiding eye contact that it was more than that.

Raelyn frowned, “You know I hate being lied to. Now,” She took a deep breath. “Let’s try this again. Why is Brian sleeping on our couch?” She repeated her question.

Victoria groaned and closed her eyes. She leaned her head back so that when she opened her eyes she would be staring at the ceiling instead of Raelyn. “He seemed desperate. He listed off all the people he tried but couldn’t stay with. And I found myself struggling to say no…” She admitted. After a moment of thought, she let out a shaky breath and spoke again, choosing her words carefully. “He made a couple of comments last night that brought back memories… Good memories. And I lost it. He fell asleep on the couch, I left him a pillow and covered him with a blanket.” She opened her eyes and slowly lowered her head so she was looking at a disbelieving Raelyn. “That’s it, I swear!”

Raelyn mulled over Tori’s explanation for a minute or so. “Better.” She finally stated after what felt like an eternity to Victoria Thompson. “So are you going to kick him out or make me do it?” She asked with a slight smirk on her face. Tori glared at the one of voice Raelyn had chosen to use. “I’m just asking. You may want to decide soon. I’m going to make myself breakfast now.” Tori grumbled a few choice words at Raelyn as she skipped out of the bedroom, and once she was completely through the doorway, Tori flipped off her back and sighed.

Tori forced herself to get out of the comfort of her bed and without glancing into the mirror, she headed out to the living room. She came to a stop in front of the couch and found herself mesmerized by how innocent Brian looked when he slept and wasn’t trying to be ‘Synyster Gates.’ After shaking her head and reminding herself why she was out here, she reached down to shake him awake when his voice stopped her. “No, don’t go, Ria.” Her throat tightened at the use of the old nickname. “Please. I’m sorry.” He mumbled.

“Sorry about what?” She asked softly, hoping he would say more in his sleep. After a couple of minutes of silence she let out a disappointed sigh. “Stupid,” She muttered to herself. “Like he’d actually say anything useful.” She shook her head and finally grabbed one of his shoulders to wake him up. “Rise and Shine, Haner. La casa del Tori is closed.”

“Five more minutes,” He mumbled out as he defiantly rolled on to his side.

“No way. I don’t need your bitch of a wife showing up here.” Tori spoke firmly. “I would rather not get arrested in my own apartment.” She admitted with a shudder. If she got mad enough and Raelyn wasn’t there to hold her back, who knew what she might do. Brian rolled over onto his back and looked up at her, and she could tell just how exhausted he was by looking into his brown eyes.

He yawned as he slowly sat up. “I don’t want you to get arrested either.” He admitted quietly. He glanced over at her and smirked as he got the chance to appreciate the fact that she enjoyed sleeping in close to nothing. The shorts suiting her long legs very well. “I’m surprised you didn’t’ change before coming out here…” He smirked at her.

Tori glanced down at what she had worn to bed and felt her cheeks heat up. “You can get out now.” She grumbled as she folded her arms over her chest. “And if I were you, I wouldn’t tell Michelle where you spent the night.” She warned before walking into the kitchen with as much confidence as she could muster for being caught in shorts and a lounge bra. Knowing he was staring at her ass the whole way was not helping matters.
Once Tori was absolutely sure Brian was gone and their apartment was locked, she stared at Raelyn. “You heard my story, now it’s your turn. How did your date go?” She asked as she leaned back against the counter with a mug of coffee in her hands.

Raelyn let out a heavy sigh. She twirled a spoon in her hot chocolate as she debated her options. “Don’t judge me for this or laugh at me… And nothing I say leaves this room.” She finally spoke up with a deathly serious look on her face.

“I promise?” Tori asked with confusion on her best friend’s words.

“It was actually really nice. He took me to a nice restaurant with good food. Afterwards we went to a beach for a little while.” She thought back to how kind he had been, and how nice everything had turned out. She frowned down at her hot chocolate as the butterflies in her stomach reminded her just how she was actually starting to feel. He had been so kind and considerate, it was almost impossible to believe he was the same guy that used to make her miserable in high school. She bit her lip as she waited for Tori to respond to her.

Tori smiled wistfully. She wanted her friend to be happy, even if that meant she was stuck seeing Brian more often than desired… And watching her friend struggle with whatever feelings were starting to bloom for Zacky made her sad. “Don’t let the past keep you from being happy now, Rae.”

Raelyn glanced up at Tori in shock. “But-”

“But nothing!” Tori cut her off. “We’re more mature now… They have to be to an extent too. So, give him a chance and if he turns back into the jerk from high school… Kick his ass and walk away.” She stated matter-of-factly.

Raelyn laughed as she placed her mug down on the counter. She stepped forward and threw both arms around Tori in a tight hug. “Thank you, Tori.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading!