Deadly Weapons

Chapter 10: An Explanation?

Chapter 10: An Explanation?
 
A few days passed and it was the last day of the term that meant two and a half weeks of relaxation until exam pressure began. I took my usual route to school with my ear buds in blocking out everyone around me including the guys who I passed of my way to first period, I felt all of their eyes burning holes into my side as they followed me walking but I ignored it, I still wasn't completely convinced that what Ronnie had told me was true- I mean we're talking about freaking vampires here! Who does he think he's kidding?! And anyway weren't vampires sensitive to sunlight and drank human blood?

It had to be bullshit.
 
Once I reached my media studies class I sat at my usual computer and waited for the class to fill up which wouldn't be for another 10 minutes or so. I got some of my coursework out and decided to continue with it so I could get it out of the way and focus on my revision. 
 
Bang on ten minutes later other classmates began filling the classroom, luckily Jacky or TJ weren't in that mix- as always they were late. My teacher came in a few seconds later and introduced the lesson just as Jacky and TJ walked through the door, my teacher shot them a very pissed off glance but they both ignored it and sat in the first two seats they could grab ahold of. When our teacher had set us off on our work I stuck in my ear buds again and made a start on the work we'd been set. 
 
I kept feeling TJ and Jacky's stare on me through the whole lesson until finally TJ strode up to me and yanked one of my ear buds out. 
 
"Hey!" I exclaimed angrily glaring up at him. "I was listening to that!"
 
"Yeah well now you're going to listen to me." He retorted matching my pissed tone. "Craig wants to meet you up on the third floor by the Spanish classrooms at lunch," I sighed- just great!  
"Just go and hear him out please Lexi," he begged, I sighed again and agreed. A small smile found its way onto his lips before he walked back over to Jacky who was watching the two of us from his computer. I rolled my eyes and re focused on my work. 
 
-*-
 
As much as I screamed at myself not to go I found my feet carrying me up to the third floor Spanish classrooms where Craig was stood outside one of them trying to pick the lock on the door.
 
“You just going to stand there and watch or are you going to help?” He asked without even turning around to see it was me; I sighed and took the bobby pin out of my hair and stuck it in the lock and jiggled it around until I heard a click followed by the door swinging open. Craig pushed past me and disappeared into the classroom, I glanced in both directions before following him into the darkened classroom. I shut the door behind me and leaned on one of the desks in front of Craig and waited for him to speak.
 
“Look, I can’t go back and chance how all this happened, do I want to? Yes of course but I can’t, neither can the guys okay?”
 
“And here it is again!” I exclaimed. “You’re talking to me like it’s my fault! Its not my fucking fault that you guys didn’t tell me that you’re freaking vampires!”
 
“I know it’s hard to get your head around but-“
 
“That’s an understatement.” I mumbled under my breath, I heard a growl come from Craig and the next thing I knew he had me against the wall. “Get off me!” I exclaimed trying to push his body away from mine.
 
He grabbed my arms with one swift movement and pinned them to the wall getting right in my face so I could feel his breath against my face. “Why? You didn’t have a problem two weeks ago when you were practically begging me to fuck you against your bedroom wall.”
 
“That was a completely different thing Craig! That was before I knew-“
 
“What? That I was a vampire? Maybe if you let me explain everything instead of interrupting every five-fucking-seconds you’d understand!” He growled causing me to cower he noticed this and his eyes softened.
 
“I’m sorry Craig, but I think you can understand that all this was myth and fiction to me two weeks ago, I'm scared and confused and very curious about it all, I just don’t know how to feel about this.” I admitted. I felt his grip on my arms loosen as he let go and he pulled away from me.
 
“Well then Andy’s grandparents have a second home that they barley ever use just out of state and we normally go up there around this time of the year because his grandparents leave it in Andy’s care, why don’t you come with us and we can explain everything you want to know in detail to you?” He offered.
 
“I guess I could I’d have to ask my mom though obviously but she should be okay with it, I’ll just say I'm stopping around TJ’s or something for the weekend.”
 
“Awesome,” He smiled. “I know there’s something that you want to ask me though so go on.”
 
“When Ronnie said that you were ‘sort of’ vampires, what did he mean?”
 
Craig sighed before speaking, “There are two types of vampire- true bloods which is what Ronnie and his group are and then there are half bloods which is what myself TJ, Andy, Ashley and Jacky are.”
 
“Well what’s the difference?”
 
“With half bloods, one of your parents is human and the other is vampire or you’re bit, with a true blood, you're born into a family where both of your parents are vampires.” He explained. “It’s Ronnie’s ancestors who didn’t like the fact that half and true bloods were living together and caused all of these fights between the two of us which is why Ronnie is such an ass to us and is why I wanted you to get out of the woods that night.” I furrowed me brow.
 
“Well why should I matter to Ronnie? I’m human surely he shouldn’t bother me?”
 
He chuckled coldly, which made me second-guess my judgment. “That’s what attracts him to you, which is what makes you more vulnerable. I wanted to keep you away from all of this for as long as I could because it puts you in danger.” I instantly began to feel guilty and I looked down at my shoes. “Don’t worry about it, its done now you just have to keep your wits about you from now on. But there’s something else you want to know so go on what is it?”
 
“Aren’t vampires like sensitive to sun and kill humans for their blood?” I asked feeling pretty silly because of how stupid I sounded.
 
Craig chuckled. “That’s a tricky subject, I never really got it myself but I believe that there was some sort of mutation in a gene which allows us to walk around in the light.” That made a bit more sense. “And the whole drinking blood thing? Yeah we do that, that’s why we leave suddenly when we’re hanging out, but we don’t kill people,” He saw my confused expression and quickly added. “It’s hard to explain.”
 
“So it’s like you take what you need thing?” I asked.
 
He nodded, “Yeah something like that. The person who we take the blood from doesn’t remember a thing after. We can go days without taking blood but the longer we go between each intake the angrier and more shorter tempered and more violent we get, which is why we aim to go every day if we can.” It all made a little more sense but it was all still very overwhelming and I could tell that Craig could see that. “I’m sorry we didn’t tell you all of this from the start and I know how strange this all is to you-“
 
“It’s alright it’s just a lot to get my head around that’s all.” I reassured him with a smile, I pulled him in for a quick hug that he returned. “Lets get out of here anyway before we get caught.”
 
“Yeah, c’mon.” He chucked leading the way out of the room. I felt a new sense of comfort around Craig but I couldn’t help but feel like something big was around the corner.