Deadly Weapons

Chapter 9: Stay Away 

Chapter 9: Stay Away 

I stayed well clear of everyone from the group for a successful two or so weeks I mean who wouldn't? They had to be joking! They just had to be, it all had to be some kind of sick joke and pretty soon I'd have either TJ or Andy ring me and tell be that they "got me good this time" and we'd laugh about it for a long time, I just had to wait for the phone call- which I did. 
 
For two weeks. 
 
Nothing. 
 
I don't quite think that what the guys had told me had fully processed in my head yet, I mean who could process information like this lightly? What's the correct way to react to someone who tells you that they're what you thought was a mythical creature and that being friends with them would put my mom and myself in danger? 
 
In danger of what? Them guys from the night I found out everything?
 
I asked myself this frequently. What could be more dangerous than vampires? Well I guess if vampires exist then what other "mythical" creatures roam the earth hidden under a mask of normality? The mere thought made my skin crawl and my heart beat slightly faster. 
 
I didn't really sleep a lot in those two weeks; I had all of the guys text me at least once a day trying to persuade me to talk to them. When I was at home, TJ would often try and coax me out of the house by saying anything he could think of to get me to open the door to him but I never did, I couldn't face it not yet. One day he spent a good hour trying to tell me how much Craig wants me to talk to him and the guys again because he misses me but I don't believe it- if they've lied to me for the whole time we've known each other, then what else have they lied about? 
 
Luckily my mom was completely oblivious as ever to what was going on between me and the guys, then again she'd only met the rest of them once when she came home early from work and they were over eating her food, sprawled out on her couches and watching weird movies. She'd noticed that TJ hadn't been coming around as often and asked me why but I quickly brushed it off that he was studying for upcoming exams- which was another thing taking up a lot of my time. If I wasn't revising at home I was staying behind after school to get any last minute revision seasons I could grasp; I barley had any free time. 
 
It was a Thursday afternoon, the final bell of the day had just rung and it was the usual sudden rush to get out of the classrooms as quickly as possible. I wasn't in such a rush to leave, it was art class which was my favorite, and I didn't fancy bumping into any of the guys as I was walking out to my math revision class. I could see out of the corner of my eye Ashley and Andy were stood by the door not so discreetly waiting for me to follow them, but I remained seated slowly packing away my oil pastels, sketch pad and pencils. They eventually gave up and left, I slung my backpack over my left shoulder and headed down the practically deserted corridor and up the desolate stairway to my math class. There weren't a lot of kids in the class- not surprisingly.
 
I was handed my book and a question sheet then I went to sit in my usual seat at the back where I could get on with my work without being distracted. I hadn't missed much and quickly began writing notes about how to solve various equations when the door opened again everyone looked toward the door and I had to stop myself from letting a groan in frustration escape my lips; there stood Craig with his usual slumped stance and ear buds around his neck. His darkened eyes immediately darted and fixed on me, I didn't say a thing and just looked down at my paper praying that he was going to sit well away from me. 
 
The teacher saw the note that he was carrying and nodded telling him to grab some paper and a question sheet and pick a place to sit. I didn't dare look up but I heard the sound of his heavy footsteps gradually get closer and closer to where I was sat until they stopped beside me, there was shuffling and chair scraping across the ground before I looked up in time to see Craig sit right next to me. I let out the sigh I'd desperately been attempting to suppress which made Craig glance over at me an amused smirk on his face, I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of getting pissed off so I fixated my concentration at the front of the class where the teacher was giving a demonstration on the board. 
 
"You're going to have to speak to one of us at some point- all of your classes are with at least one of us." I didn't answer, just continued to write down things I found of some importance from the board. "You're acting like a fucking three year old." He muttered angrily under his breath, I snapped my head to the right and glared at him, still refusing to say anything. I didn't care if he thought I was acting like a seventeen year old or a three year old, it was his fault I was acting that way. 
 
He stayed quiet for a few more minutes while the teacher set us off on our tasks but as soon as she had finished he started again, "the way your acting now is the exact reason why we didn't want to tell you until we knew you better." 
 
"Oh and you wonder why I'm acting this way?" I replied bitterly not even glancing up from my page at him. 
 
"Yes actually I do. We all do." 
 
"Do you know how fucking stupid you sound right now?" I hissed. 
 
"Lexi, language." My teacher warned eyeing me over the papers she was grading, I apologized and she turned away again. Craig didn't say anything for a good five or so minutes, which gave me, time to calm myself down slightly and focus on the work. 
 
"Look, none of us wanted it to come out the way it did."
 
"Well how was it supposed to 'come out’?" 
 
"We were still figuring that out!" He retorted voice rose slightly causing the teacher to glance up from her papers glaring at the two of us for a couple of seconds. Once she saw there were no immediate problems she turned away again. "You think you have it hard? Try being in our shoes Lexi!" 
 
I slammed my pencil down on the table and turned to face him. "Your shoes? Try being in your shoes? That's rich, imagine how it feels to be told that your friends are vam-" my sentence was cut short due to Craig stamping down hard on my foot, I held in a yelp of pain as tears sprung in the corners of my eyes. 
 
"Is there a problem at the back?" The teacher asked- clearly irritated that she'd been interrupted three times by the two of us; we shook our heads and continued with the work. I quickly finished the final question and gathered all of my belongings together. 
 
"Next time think about what you're saying and who's around you." Craig growled as I shut my book. I picked up my bag from the floor and stood up. 
 
"When you're ready to tell me what you actually are and why you hid it from me for so long I'll be ready to listen. But until then I don't want any of you to speak to me." I hissed before walking to the front giving the teacher my book and storming out of the class, down the stairs taking them two at a time wanting to get out of there as quick as possible.