Status: Hoping to upload a chapter every Saturday, a little weekend treat :)

Getting Surreal

XXIII

Becks was scared to open her eyes. She’d been awake for the last five minutes or so, but she didn’t have to be up and moving or even have her eyes open to know how hungover she was.
Her desperation for water, though, was really starting to kill her, so she took a very slow and deep, measured breath, cracking her eyes open as she exhaled.

Then, the confusion hit.

‘Where the fuck am I?’ is what she meant to say aloud to herself. But, in her state, nothing but a long-winded groan came out as she slowly eased herself into a sitting position and looked around. She was definitely in somebody’s bedroom and definitely not at Frank’s. It was small and cozy, painted in dark, cool colors and was relatively clean. If she weren’t so hungover, she have dwelled on how soothing the décor was. Seeing as she was hungover, though, after another second, she groaned again and fell back into the bed, covering her face with her hands.

She had no idea where she was.

She was just contemplating laying there until she withered away when she heard the noise of somebody moving about coming from somewhere down the hall. Brow furrowed, she sat up again, trying her best to ignore her pounding head. Easing her way to the door, she could hear the person was humming. Curiosity piqued, Becks opened the small bedroom door and made her way towards the sound, her heart soaring when she made it into the kitchen and was greeted by the glorious sight of Gerard Way wearing a baggy black shirt and Batman pajama pants making a pot of coffee.

Thank fuck I’m not at a stranger’s house, she thought, feeling any awkward sort of anxiety slip away.

Gerard must have heard her approaching, because he turned around and gave a small, sleepy smile when he saw her in the doorway. “Hey, you,” he greeted her softly.

“Water?” Becks croaked in response. Gerard just chuckled a little and motioned for her to sit down at the table against the wall – the table Mikey had been sitting at the first day she’d met the guys – and she complied immediately, sagging into the seat while Gerard fetched her what she so desperately needed.

“Here you go,” he muttered quietly and Becks opened her eyes, not even realizing she’d laid her chin in her palm and closed them, to see a glass of water and a bottle of aspirin on the table in front of her.

“Thanks,” she got out, taking the meds down with half the water. She let out a pseudo-satisfied sigh as she put the glass back down on the table and cracked her eyes open again to see Gerard giving her a knowing sort of smirk from where he’d sat himself across the table from her.

“No problem.” She could tell he was amused. Sleepy, but amused. “Coffee’s brewing. Need anything else?” Becks shook her head slowly. The thought of even trying to eat anything had her stomach churning.

They sat there for another minute, the room silent save for the glorious noise of fresh coffee being brewed. Finally, Becks felt ready to talk.

“So…” she started and looked up at Gerard, “uh….”

He sighed a small laugh through his nose and the left side of his mouth quirked up in a little smirk. “You wanna know how you ended up here, then?” Becks just shut her eyes and nodded out a yes, and the other side of Gerard’s mouth twitched up so he was fully grinning at her. She grunted out what he took to be a yes, and he nodded. “Yeah, you and Mikey got blitzed….” The coffee maker beeped and he paused as he got up, Becks humming in response.

She’d definitely gotten blitzed, all right. She smiled a little, thinking back on the bits she could remember, which…the last of her memory wasn’t too long after when Mikey had gotten her her first shot of the evening….

“Here,” Gerard said quietly, placing a steaming mug in front of her. She thanked him almost inaudibly and wrapped her hands around the mug, pulling it closer as Gerard seated himself again. “Yeah, um,” he began after taking a sip, “I came home a little bit after I left you guys at the bar and, uh, Mikey called me to come and pick the two of you up.” He smirked a little as he remembered the phone call.

Enjoying his first stretch of time truly alone, Gerard spent the evening lounging around the house he and his brother shared, just doing whatever.

He was sat on his knees in the middle of the living room floor, papers and art supplies sprawled all around him as he sketched out some new ideas. With his cd player all but blaring Danzig as he lost himself in his work, he wouldn’t have heard his phone go off were it not for the fact that it was perched precariously on the edge of the coffee table in front of him and had fallen off with a bang when it started vibrating.

He looked up from his work, a little confused and saw his phone buzzing across the floor. As he leaned forward to grab it, he checked the time on the dvd player, his eyebrows raising when he saw it was almost two thirty in the morning – he’d really gotten lost in his work.

Flipping up his phone to answer it, he hollered out a “hold on!” and shuffled across the room to turn down his stereo. Judging by the racket he was hearing on the other end, though, he doubted he was heard at all.

Once the music was off, he held his phone back up to his ear. “Hello?” There was some mumbling and clearly drunken shouting going on in the background before the caller responded.

“Geee!” They shouted.

“Mikey,” Gerard chuckled. Mikey was wasted. “How’s it goin’?” He couldn’t help the smirk that spread across his face as he asked.

“Mikey!” Gerard heard Becks shouting somewhere in the background at his brother.

“Hi, Becks!” Mikey replied. Gerard could practically hear the smile plastered all over his brother’s face.

“Wha ya doon?” Becks voice was closer, now, and Gerard assumed she was right next to Mikey.

“Gonna call Gee,” he replied. Gerard rolled his eyes, though the smirk never left his lips.

“You already did, dumbass,” he said.

“Oh, shit! Hi, Jurrard!”

“Hi, Geeee!” Becks shouted and Gerard winced, pulling the phone away from his ear for a second.

“Hey, Becks. Mikey. So…need me to come pick you up, then?” His question was met by loud, drunken cheering.


---

“Man, I’ve seen Mikey drunk a million times,” Gerard said, leaning back in his seat, “but last night, he was fucking gone,” he chuckled. “The both of you were.”

“I don’t even know, man. I remember shots.” She squinted in concentration as she tried to think back. “Lots of shots.”

“Yeah, well, I came to get you guys and, uh…it was a trip and a half.” He smiled into his mug when he heard her groan in what he assumed was embarrassment. “I mean, you were fine, just…drunk.”

“Didn’t do anything stupid?” She asked tentatively, afraid to hear the answer. Gerard shook his head.

“Nah,” He responded with a gleam in his eye. He might not have been telling her the whole story, but what she didn’t know wouldn’t kill her.

Mikey shuffling into the room brought Gerard out of his thoughts. Both he and Becks looked up to the doorway. Gerard smirked into his coffee as he watched his brother grab himself a mug.

“Shit, I hope I look better than you,” Becks stated as Mikey sat down next to her and laid his head on the table. Mikey just groaned in response and she chuckled a little.

“So yeah,” Gerard drawled, bringing the attention back to him. “Took a while to get you guys in the car, but, uh, when we got home, you were about passed out,” he paused to take a sip of coffee and motioned to Becks who was listening as well as she could over her headache. “So Mikey put you in his room like a gentleman.”

“True gentleman,” Mikey mumbled out into the table. It almost drew a laugh out of Gerard.

“So…yeah. That’s about it.” Gerard shrugged as Becks blinked at him.

“Okay, but…” she watched with vague interest as Mikey lifted his head off the table and grabbed her forgotten glass of water, downing the rest of it in one go, “why am I hear and not Frank’s?”

“Was just easier. And the two of you weren’t making things easy in the first place. The pair of you are fucking hellions when you’re drunk together.” Mikey smirked minutely at his brother’s words and Becks nodded. Made sense. She knew she could be a mischievous ass when she drank. “Anyways,” Gerard pushed out from the table and stood up, “I’ve got errands to run.” He walked over to the sink and put his mug down before heading to the door. “Have fun with your hangovers, fuckers!” He called as he walked out, leaving the pair in question alone and in silence for a moment.

Finally, Mikey spoke. “You remember much?” Becks looked over at him and gave a tiny chuckle when she saw him squinting at her from behind his glasses. He was looking rough and she could definitely relate.

“Not much past the second or third round of shots,” she shook her head. Mikey groaned again and she gave a tiny smile. “Mark of a good night, right?”

Mikey’s shoulders shook a little as he laughed. “Yeah,” he said, looking at her, “something like that.” They smiled smally at each other for a moment, then.

“Thanks for your bed. You know, you didn’t have to give it up for me.”

Mikey shrugged as he took a hefty sip of his coffee. “True gentleman.” He winked at her and she giggled.

“Well, thanks. You got anything going on today?”

---

Roughly three hours later, and Becks was saying goodbye to Mikey and thanking him for dropping her off.

Shortly after Gerard had left, the pair had moved their coffee drinking to the couch, watching whatever was on tv. They sat there enjoying each other’s company and crappy television for the next while until Becks’ stomach decided to announce its presence. After a laugh or two, Mikey suggested they go get some food, and, after a short drive, they found themselves at some shoddy looking diner in perhaps the not best part of town that Mikey insisted was the best ever for hangovers.

He was right.

Becks felt considerably better after the late morning spent hanging with Mikey and shoveling greasy food down her throat. They would both have been more than content to spend the rest of the day together, in fact, Mikey was just about to open his mouth to suggest going back to his and Gerard’s place to watch a movie or something when the alarm on his phone went off.

He’d stared at his phone with that stony expression of his before explaining to Becks with a sigh that he had to go – had a doctor’s appointment. After a brief argument when Mikey said he’d pay for her waffle and coffee – an argument he eventually won, he offered that she could hang at his place until he got back, but she’d insisted that she should probably get back to Frank’s before he thought she’d gone missing or something.

So, that’s how Becks found herself watching after Mikey’s car for a second before walking up to Frank’s door, realizing that she didn’t have a key and hoping to the high heavens that it would be unlocked. She was just reaching for the doorknob when the door suddenly opened up wide, the girl from the bar the night before stood there. Both she and Becks reared back a little, both surprised to see another person there.

“Oh, hi!” The girl said, hand over her heart from her fright. “Um, you must be…Becks?”

“Uh, yeah, I am, uh…” Becks stuck her hand out kind of dazedly, “hi. You’re…”

“Jamia! What the hell…oh. Becks!” Frank showed up behind Jamia, wrapping his arms around her waist as she took Becks’ hand and gave it a small shake.

“Jamia,” she said, giving a small shrug and smiling at Becks. “It was nice to meet you, Becks. But, uh, I’ve gotta get going.” She dropped Becks’ hands and then turned around, giving Frank a quick kiss before removing herself from his grasp and scooting past Becks in the doorway and making her way to her car.

Becks stood there for a moment, slightly dumbfounded, as she watched after her, eyebrows raised. Finally, when Jamia started the ignition and backed out of the driveway, Becks turned around and looked at Frank who looked sheepishly back at her.

“So…last night went well?” She asked with a big smile on her face as she followed Frank into his home.

“Yeah,” he shrugged nonchalantly, but Becks wasn’t immune to the smile in his voice or his usually good mood being just that little bit better, “you could say that.”

“What, that’s all I get?” She asked, perching herself on the arm of his couch when he spread himself across all the cushions.

“I’m, uh, taking her out tomorrow night. We’re not technically ‘back together,” he made air quotes with his fingers, “but we’re gonna see how tomorrow works out.” He was blushing just a little as he spoke and Becks let out a little squeak of happiness. She didn’t normally get too girly, but it was hard to miss how happy this Jamia girl seemed to make her friend and she just couldn’t suppress it.

“And hey, what about you?” He asked her in a playfully accusational way, chucking a pillow at Becks’ face. When she shot him a scrunched up ‘what do you mean’ sort of expression, he rolled his eyes. “Where did you end up last night? Get lucky with a nice gentleman? He take you hooome?” He cooed at her and batted his eyelashes.

“Oh, fuck off!” She giggled, blushing, and chuckled the pillow back at him, nailing him square in the face. “I’ll have you know, I ended up at the Ways’.”

“Shit, really?” Frank asked, sitting up a little and hugging the pillow to his chest. “I thought I saw Gerard there.”

“Yeah, he was only there for a little bit, but I partied it down with Mikey.”

“That must have been a shitstorm,” Frank chuckled. Noting her expression, he laughed a little harder. “You kidding me? The two of you drunk together is worse than you and me together, ever. Kill anyone? Break anything? Need to move out of country and start a new life?” Becks rolled her eyes and shook her head, but had a smirk on her face. Apparently, she and Mikey had created a reputation for themselves during Taste of Chaos.

“We didn’t. Well…” she shrugged, “not that either of us remembers anyway.”

“That good of a night?”

“Oh yeah,” she chuckled a little. “I guess Gee came to pick us up and we caused some trouble for him, but nothing much other than that.”

“So, you actually did get lucky with a gentleman and he took you home.” Frank made a small face. “Well…you found a Mikey and he took you home.”

“Oh, come off it. The Ways are total gentlemen. Mikey even gave me his bed and slept on the couch.” She crossed her arms and jutted up her chin in a ‘so there’ sort of way.

“Yeah, whatever, dollface.” Becks gave a small smile at the name. “So…plans for tonight?”

Becks shook her head. “Nope.”

“Cool…pizza and movies?”

“Yesssss.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Saturday, guys! Hope you all enjoy!

Lemme know your thoughts :)