Status: Hoping to upload a chapter every Saturday, a little weekend treat :)

Getting Surreal

XXXXVIII

“I’m up,” Becks mumbled at whoever was knocking loudly at her bedroom door, burrowing further under her covers.

She let out a little growl as the knocking persisted, but refused remove herself from the comfort and warmth. “Fraaaank,” her voice a groggy whine, “I’m up, I’m up…I’m up!”

What the hell does he want?’ she thought, as she slowly drifted back off into dreamland, unaware that the knocking had stopped and the door had opened.

Suddenly, her bed dipped as another person practically (she was too tired and grumpy to consider that they were careful not to hurt her) jumped on top of her and it was with the only thought in her brain being that she was going to kill her best friend and house-mate as she finally threw back the covers from her face and was met, not with Frank, but with Mikey, staring down amused at her with his big, beautiful eyes.

“Mornin’, babe.” He said quietly. Becks blinked, trying to rid her brain of the sleep fog she was under and slowly piecing together that he was really there. They’d been off tour for three days, now, and she hadn’t had a chance to see any of the guys but Frank.

“Mikey?”

He smiled fondly and reached up to smooth back some of Becks’ crazy bed hair from her face. “Yeah. It’s me.” They stared at each other for a moment, and then Becks more or less launched herself up so she could grab him in a tight hug.

“Why are you here?”

Mikey scoffed lightly. “What, don’t want me here?” He pulled back from her and watched as she rubbed sleepily at her eyes.

“No. Just…I wasn’t expecting you.”

“Well, I was wondering if you had any plans today?”

Becks paused and looked at her boyfriend. Was he actually stupid?

“I mean…” she drawled in monotone, “I don’t have a job or anything, seeing as we just got off tour.”

Mikey rolled his eyes at her underplayed sass.

“So you’re free, then? No plans with Frank?” She shook her head and Mikey smiled. “Good. Because I realized last night that we’ve been together for about two months now, and I’ve never taken you on a date.”

“A date?”

“Yes, a date. You’re mine all day and it’s gonna be all fun and romantic and…and stuff.” He petered off a little nervously at the end.

Becks was smiling wide, though – practically beaming. A date? She’d never been on one, so she didn’t know what to expect, really, but what she did know was that she was going to get to spend the whole day with the guy that made her heart race in the best and most exhilarating way possible, and she just couldn’t possibly contain her excitement.

Seeing her face, Mikey’s nerves dissipated. “You want to, then?” Becks nodded exuberantly and he chuckled. “Okay. Good. I’ll go wait and you get ready.” He leaned in to give her a kiss, but Becks pulled back from him.

“Morning breath,” she said quietly, slightly embarrassed. “You don’t wanna –“

But then Mikey was kissing her, silencing any protest. “I don’t care. Kissing you is worth it,” he mumbled against her lips before kissing her again.

---

Becks hurried to get ready as fast as she possibly could. But, for perhaps one of the first times in her life, she was also trying to make herself look as good as she possibly could. She’d never been one much for dressing up, and she didn’t really own any fancy clothes, but she could do some makeup.

So, as soon as Mikey left the room, Becks bolted out of bed and threw on the nicest (aka cleanest) pair of dark blue skinny jeans she could find and a simple, fitted black sweater that she kept for ‘important’ things like funerals, job interviews, and, apparently, she figured, it would work well for dates, too.

Once she was clothed, she made her way quickly to the bathroom and brushed her teeth while she pulled out every item of makeup that she owned with her free hand. As she set her toothbrush down, she murmured a quick, ‘here we go’ to herself and started in on doing her makeup. Not wanting to be super flashy, she opted for a couple shades of brown shadow that always earned her compliments when she wore, some liner, and mascara. When she’d applied it all to her eyes, she held her breath and leaned back from the mirror a bit so she could survey the job she’d done and see if she’d screwed up at all.

“Oh, nice,” she breathed, seeing that she’d done a relatively good job. The only thing she had left to apply was some blush, and then attempt to tame her hair. After a long moment of debating and debating (and realizing that knew absolutely nothing about doing hair), Becks just ended up flipping her head upside-down and running her hands through it wildly, pleased to see when she righted herself and flipped her mane back, that the maneuver had seemed to do the trick, and her dirty-blonde hair was now falling in its natural, messy waves and had a bit of volume for that extra little ‘oomph,’ instead of her severe bedhead from moments before.

“Okay,” she said to herself, looking hard in the mirror, appraising her appearance and nodding, pleased. “Okay.” And with that, she decided she was ready and opened the door and left the bathroom, ready and excited (and perhaps a bit nervous) for her date day with Mikey.

When she made it to the living room, Becks found Mikey and Frank both sat on the couch, both watching the tv with completely zoned out expressions. Giggling to herself, she stepped into the living room close to the couch, apparently unnoticed by either guy.

“So,” she said in an airy, cheery voice, “what’re we watching?” Both Frank and Mikey gave a start and their heads whipped around to look at Becks, who was now laughing aloud at the frightened expressions she’d gleaned from them. Frank managed to get his composure back first and he gave a small wolf whistle.

Shit, Becks. You never look that good when you go out with me!” He said with a big doofy grin on his face. Becks flushed a little at his words, pleased that her efforts in her appearance seemed to have worked out.

Then, Mikey standing and walking towards her drew her attention, and she returned his embrace as he hugged her close, pressing his lips to her ear.

“You look amazing.” He whispered it so that just Becks could hear. She let out a small, almost inaudible gasp as Mikey pulled away from her ear and gave her a lingering kiss to her temple before removing himself from her space completely, moving to grab his jacket and leaving her with burning cheeks.

Becks felt like she was in a whirlwind, feeling a flustering mix of flattered, smitten, excited, and just a little bit empowered. Before she’d really caught up with her senses, Mikey was at her side again, grabbing her hand.

“Ready to go?”

“Uh-oh, yeah,” Becks nodded, trying to clear her head before shooting a smile at him, “yeah.” She gave his hand a small squeeze and pulled him towards the door.

“I won’t wait up for you!”

She heard Frank yell from behind her and shouted back over her shoulder, “See ya, Frankie!” just before the door latched.

---

“So, where we going? What’re we doing? Am I dressed okay? Was this too much?”

“Becks,” Mikey laughed and shook his head as she berated him with question after question as soon as they’d gotten into his car and he pulled out of the driveway. “Baby.” He grabbed onto hand that was fiddling with the hem of her sweater, stilling her movements. “First of all, you look fine. No. You look fucking amazing.” He gave her hand a squeeze and glanced at her just long enough to see her bite her lip in what he recognized as her attempt to hold in a smile.

“Thanks,” she whispered, trying to ignore her blush and the smile tugging at her lips as she stared down at their hands intertwined in her lap.

“You’re welcome.” He said matter o-factly, causing her to let out a small snort, pulling a wide grin from him. “And secondly, phase one of Date Day is coffee. Because I haven’t had any yet today, and really, that should be some sort of indication as to how much I like you.”

After that, he fell silent, patiently waiting (he’d never let her know – even though his way of rambling all the information out gave him away to her immediately – that he was extremely nervous about the day, himself) for her response.

Finally, she let out a small sigh, indicating that she was about to talk.

“Well,” she drawled, settling herself back into her seat, “first of all,” Mikey smiled as she repeated his own words back to him, “I like the way you think, Mikey Way.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah. I have got a serious hankering for coffee right about now – “

“Hankering? Really?”

“Yes, hankering!” Becks shot him a smile as he glanced her way, eyebrow raised. “It’s a word, look it up.”

Mikey chuckled. “Yeah, okay,” he snorted.

“And secondly.” Mikey shook his head in amusement as she continued to mimic him. “Phase one? Seriously?”

“What?” He asked, stopping at a red light and taking the moment to look at her in bewilderment.

“Phase one.”

“Yes, phase one!” He cried, exasperated. “It’s a thing!”

God,” Becks was laughing fully, shaking her head and giving him a look. “You are such a fucking nerd.”

Mikey dropped the hand that was on the steering wheel down to his lap and sagged his shoulders in a way that hinted at being completely ‘done,’ before gathering himself and giving her an incredulous look and turning his attention back to the road and driving through the intersection.

I’m a fucking nerd?” He asked with a scoff in his voice.

“Yes, you are.” Becks nodded. Mikey made an awkward sort of sound that was something of a combination of a snort and a wheeze.

“But,” Becks said quietly, and the lack of jest in her voice had Mikey glancing back at her for a moment. “You’re my nerd.” And then she brought his hand up to her lips and gave his knuckles a soft kiss, leaving Mikey in a sense of wonderment at the woman he’d somehow managed to agree to being called his girlfriend.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you guys enjoyed!

:)