‹ Prequel: Borrow My Heart

Make You Feel My Love

One

Paul Martin dropped the TV remote beside him on the bed and looked down at his wife Tessa. She was near the center of their bed, her spot, turned towards him, and on her phone when he dropped a kiss to the top of her head. She looked up at him with a smile.

"What are you looking at?" He asked.

"Houses,” she replied simply and matter of factly, not taking her eyes off the small screen.

"Houses?"

She looked up from her phone when he repeated her answer with a note of confusion. "In San Jose. Duh." It had been exactly 48 hours since the news of his signing had gone public and he chuckled softly, wrapping an arm around her and squeezing.

"I thought we were going next week to look at houses."

"We are. I'm just getting a head start.”

“A head start...” He said slowly.

“What? You thought I'd leave it to some real estate agent who has never met us to pick our house for us? No; I'm gonna make sure she has direction."

"Of course you are," Paul smiled as Tessa settled against him, resuming her search on her phone.

Choosing to sign in San Jose hadn't been an easy decision, to uproot their lives for someplace new, someplace on the other side of the country, and Paul had hesitated with making the call, but he and Tessa talked about it, about all his options, and together they decided the Sharks were the best fit for him and for their family.

They were both excited about their new adventure, and Tessa looking so eagerly at houses for sale only days after the signing became official made him feel happy and confident about the decision.

She was scrolling through pictures silently for a half hour after that before she gasped. "Paul," she whispered excitedly. "Oh my god, Paul. This is it."

"What is it?"

"Our house. I found our house. Look!" She shoved her phone into his hands and sat up excitedly. "It's gorgeous! And look at that backyard that Ava can grow up and play in."

"You want to buy a house we haven't even seen?"

"Yes!"

"That's crazy, Tessie. What if it's falling apart or has hidden mold?"

"This house cost 750 thousand dollars. I'm pretty sure there is no hidden mold. Just look at the pictures."

He flipped through the photos of the three bedroom Victorian. There were hardwood floors throughout and each room was a different, bright color. The ceilings were high, eleven feet, and the backyard was big and open, with a storage shed, a seating area, and room for so much potential. Paul could picture a jungle gym and a sandbox for Ava, and a vegetable garden for him, and rows of flowers for Tessa. The house was beautiful, and according to the description, in a great neighborhood with good schools, and close to the arena.

"Did you see the spiral staircase?" Tessa demanded. "How amazing is that?"

"It's very cool. Why don't I call the real estate agent tomorrow and have her put it on the list to check out?"

She sighed. "Fine. We'll check it out next week."
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know why I'm so nervous about sharing this with y'all but I am! I've been sitting on this for several months now but I'm biting the bullet and putting it out there. I do want to give a little credit to thatmom for this. She gave me a plot bunny ages ago that I never ran with that I was able to use in this story, just not exactly as we had once talked about. Hopefully she'll still approve. :)