Enchanted

Something Wicked This Way Comes

I dialed Jocelyn's number a fifth time and didn't get any answer. I'd already gone to baggage claim to get my luggage, and there was still no sign of her. I tried for Clary, hoping to God that she would pick up.

"Gabrielle?" She sounded scared and confused. That was yet another hint that something wasn't right.

"Hey. I'm at the airport. Your mom was supposed to pick me up, but she's not here and she's not answering her phone." There was a long pause, and I heard a few different voices talking on the other end. None of them sounded like Simon, so who the hell was she with?

"We have a problem. Can you find a way to get to the Institute?" If she knew what the Institute was, that meant she knew she was a shadowhunter. The target on her back was bigger than the one on mine, and we were all screwed.

"I'll be there as soon as I can." I stepped out of the air conditioning and into the humidity. All sounds were heightened as I hailed a cab, rattling off a random address. I'd have to walk the rest of the way, which was unfortunate, but it was something that I'd have to deal with. I tapped my fingers against my bouncing knee, trying to calm my nerves.

"Are you okay Miss? You look a bit worried." I got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach as the driver slowed down.

"I'm fine. Could you just go a bit faster please?" I asked, chewing on my cuticle.

"I'm afraid I can't do that." Everything seemed to slow down as the driver turn toward me, his eyes turning completely black. I grabbed my seraph blade, determined not to die. Tentacles slithered toward me, and I slammed the car door open, rolling onto the pavement. I got to my feet quickly, glancing at my surroundings. There were too many people, but I knew better. They couldn't see us. I heard a shrill screech, and I turned to my left, swinging at the demon. Another shrill sound lefts its lips as it lunged toward me, and I drove my blade straight into its chest. With a cry of defeat, it disintegrated. I glanced around me before dragging my luggage from the back of the cab. I hauled ass to the Institute, letting out a sigh of relief when Clary threw her arms around me. At least she was okay...for now.

"I'm so glad you're alright." I pat her back, glancing behind her at three people who didn't look happy to see me.

"We're in danger." There wasn't time for small talk. We needed a plan, and we needed one fast.

"I know. What happened? You look a little on edge."

"Demon cab driver. Are you going to introduce me to your friends?" They'd kept her alive this long, so I could only be grateful, but it was obvious they weren't my biggest fans.

"This is Jace, Isabelle, and Alec. Guys, this is Gabrielle. Our moms are close. Wait a minute, is your mom okay? Is that why you're here?" I could tell Alec liked me the least, and I got a feeling he didn't care for intruders.

"My mom is fine, but she knows something is wrong. I was being followed back in Washington, and they're coming for you next. Valentine is apparently alive and well, so we have a problem on our hands."

"What do you know about Valentine?" Jace asked, crossing his arms over his chest, making his biceps bulge. I figured he was trying to be intimidating, and I did my best to control the urge to body slam him. I got over my fear of other individuals years ago.

"I know enough," I snapped.

"Hi, Gabrielle." A familiar face turned a corner, and I allowed myself a small smile.

"Hey, Hodge." I ignored the looks of shock I received, walking over to hug my godfather.

"Ian will be happy to know that you're safe." I rolled my eyes, shrugging out of my jacket.

"He should call more. He wouldn't have as many questions," I muttered bitterly. My relationship with my father wasn't the greatest. Growing up, I saw him once a year, on my birthday. The rest of the time he was gone. He used the excuse that he was working, but I knew the real reason. Faerie and shadowhunter relationships were frowned upon, and my paternal grandparents were furious when they found out what he'd done. He'd chosen sides, and I was nearly fatherless as a result.

"Wait, Ian Erela is your father?" Jace was looking at me like I was the answer to everything. Despite his "lapse in judgement", my father was known for being one of the best. I had a reputation to live up to whether I liked it or not.

"Unfortunately. Now, can someone fill me in on what exactly is going on?"

"Valentine wants the mortal cup, and he thinks that I have it," Clary said, tugging at her shirt.

"That's impossible. No one knows where it is." Except someone did. Jocelyn did, and clearly she was missing.

"That's the problem, and Valentine isn't the only one looking for it." Things were worse than I knew. We were all in deep shit.

"Well, this is just grand. So what are we going to do?"

"We have to find Magnus Bane. He's the one that took my memories, and he's the only way to get them back." Finding Magnus wasn't going to be easy if he didn't want to be found. The high warlock of Brooklyn was eccentric and dangerous. I'd met him a few times, but once was enough to last a lifetime.

"Any idea where he is?"

"No, but there's a party tonight." That didn't guarantee anything.

"And anyone that knows Magnus knows that he can't resist a party, but that's not going to guarantee that he'll help us." Magnus was very self involved. He never did anything unless it was going to benefit him, which meant we were probably screwed.

"Come with me." We all followed Hodge to where I assumed the weapons were kept. I recognized the runes on the floor and watched as he moved his stele over the tile. It retreated, revealing a necklace inside a small box.

"What is that?"

"It belonged to Magnus Bane. He gave it as a gift to his lover, Camille Belcourt."

"Camille and Magnus were lovers?" It shouldn't have come as a shock. Magnus was a whore in every sense of the word.

"Warlock gets around." Jace's face turned to something except impassive for half a second. If you weren't looking directly at him, you wouldn't have noticed it.

"He bought it in 1857, for the price of his London townhouse.The jewel is enchanted by a spell that alerts the wearer to the presence of demons." Isabella reached out and grabbed it, turning the metal over in her hands. A low hum resonated in my ears as she examined it.

"It's so beautiful."

"Magnus has longed to reunite with this necklace. Show him this, you shouldn't have a problem getting him to help you." I couldn't shake the feeling that this was all going to go terrible wrong, but we didn't have a better plan or another choice at this point.

"Let's go find ourselves a warlock." I pushed up the sleeves of my shirt and wound my hair into a bun. Isabelle stared at me like I had two heads.

"You're not going to the party in that, are you?" She eyed my joggers with disdain, I muttered a few curses as I walked back to my bags. We were going all out for this, and I wasn't looking forward to it.

"I was planning on it, but I guess that's not going to happen."

"It's a downworlder rave, Gabrielle. You'll stick out like a sore thumb. We'll get busted before we even make inside." She had a point, but heels weren't my favorite thing to wear.

"Yeah, I know."

"I'll show you to your room." I could tell she was excited by the smile on her face. She obviously had a thing for parties.

"Thanks." I followed her down one of the many hallways until we got to an empty room. It was small, only equipped with a queen sized bed, a wardrobe, two bedside tables, and a lonely chair in the corner, "Home sweet home," I muttered sarcastically, staring at the dark red walls.

"Let me know if you need anything. My room is down the hall." I nodded, dragging my suitcases to the side of the bed. I opened the biggest one, pulling out my tightest pair of jeans and my black boots. The heels were vicious, and I knew my feet were going to hate me before the night was over. I picked out my top and a leather jacket. I was grateful for the bathroom attached and turned on the hot water for a shower. I made quick work of washing my body and hair, wrapping both in a towel when I was done. I got dressed and plugged in my blow dryer, jumping when I saw Alec standing in the doorway.

"Don't do that," I growled, yanking a brush through my hair.

"We're leaving soon. Hurry up." I had half a mind to ask him who shoved a stick up his ass, but I held my tongue.

"I'm almost done." My hair was just going to have to be damp. I shut the blow dryer off and set it on the counter. I purposely slammed into his shoulder as I walked back into the room, grabbing both of my seraph blades.

"There you are." Clary smiled, but it dropped when she noticed the tension in the room. I didn't know Alec's problem was, but I didn't want to find out. I wasn't going to deal with his attitude.

"Yeah. Let's go." I followed her back into the front where Isabelle and Jace were waiting. The sequined dress that adorned Isabelle's body suited her, and she was wearing Magnus' necklace. The same hum I heard before appeared again, and I got the strangest feeling that it belonged to her.

"Well look at you." She smirked.

"Let's get this over with."

***


The line for Pandemonium was ridiculous, and I could feel the music rattling my bones.

"Alec and Izzy are securing the perimeter."

"Are you sure this is a good idea? Last time we were here, this place was crawling with vampires." Walking behind Clary and Jace was annoying. It was obvious they had some sort of feeling toward each other that neither of them was ready to acknowledge. I couldn't fault Clary for not knowing what we were walking into, but her incessant questions were beginning to give me a headache.

"Relax. All downworlders hang out here. We just came on vampire night."

"Right, and when is all of this gonna sound normal to me?" It was never going to sound normal because she didn't grow up like the rest of us. She was sheltered, and now I understood why. Jocelyn was trying to keep her safe, but telling Clary the truth would have been a better option. Now she had to learn years worth of information in a small amount of time. She had to train harder than everyone else because she knew next to nothing.

"I don't know."

"All clear." Irritation settled in my bones when I heard Alec's voice. He was standing behind Jace, a look of determination in his eyes.

"Do you think red's my color?" Isabelle asked, touching the necklace.

"Iz, with a body like yours, everything's your color."

"Good point. Damn. I make this necklace look so good." I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. She hadn't done anything to me, but tonight was something I hadn't been expecting, and the nagging feeling in my stomach wouldn't go away. We didn't have time for jokes or compliments. We needed to focus.

"Take it off. I'm certain Magnus Bane doesn't want drool on his ruby when we make the exchange." Alec's voice was soft and bitter. I was curious. I'd immediately pegged Jace for the brooding type, but it seemed like Alec had him beat. I wanted to know why.

"You know, I wouldn't be so sure. Most men like it when I admire their jewels." I rolled my eyes that time, pushing my fingers through my hair. The curls snagged on my ring, and I cursed as I tried to free myself. I heard snickering, knowing exactly who it came from, but I chose to ignore him as we walked forward.

"Can you just give it to Jace?" Isabelle was giggling as she took the jewelry from her neck and handed it over. I could see two people, that probably weren't people, staring directly at me and whispering to each other. We needed to get inside as soon as possible or all of this was going to go south.

"You're such a buzz kill." We finally got inside, and I immediately scanned the building. There were too many people. It was hot and crowded, but I'd already spotted Magnus.

"Over there." I pointed and began to push myself through the bodies. Magnus was admiring himself in a compact mirror, smudging the eyeshadow he just loved to put on. He was physically attractive, but his demeanor made him less desirable. It was a wonder how he'd managed to get so many people in bed.

"Magnus." Jace spoke first, and Magnus' head snapped toward us before he stood up.

"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes." He smirked right at me, wiggling his fingers in my direction.

"You're not funny," I stated, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I think we both know I'm hilarious." I rolled my eyes, trying my best to remain calm. Angering the only warlock that could help us wouldn't do any good, "Clary Fairchild, you've grown into a beautiful young woman." He eyed her like she was someone familiar, which technically she was, but I didn't like the look on his face.

"Magnus Bane. So you're the one who stole my memories." At least she was getting straight to the point. It would save us a lot of time.

"At your mother's request. She knew the risk. Show me the jewelry, shadowhunter." His gaze moved to Jace, and he held his hand out. Jace let the necklace dangle from his fingers, and Magnus immediately reached for it.

"Give Clary back her memories, and you get the jewelry."

"I'll have to confirm it's authenticity." He wiggled his fingers, waiting for Jace to drop the necklace, "Amor verus numquam moritur. True love never dies. Oh how I've missed this jewel."

"Now it's your turn to pay up." I could see men discreetly trying to move toward us, and I latched my fingers onto Clary's wrist. Jace wasn't paying attention, so he didn't see the look I was trying to give him.

"I wish I could retrieve your memories, but I no longer have them." My head snapped back to Magnus, and if looks could kill, he'd be 6 feet under. If he didn't have her memories, coming here and giving him that necklace was a complete waste of time. We were all in danger, and it was for absolutely nothing.

"We've got to get Clary out of here." I mumbled to Jace, grabbing his shoulder.

"What? Where are they?"

"I fed them to a memory demon for safe keeping." Magnus was speaking like it was no big deal, and I wanted to punch him.

"Why the hell would you do that?" I was officially on edge and trying to find an escape route. I could see Alec moving through the dancing bodies, but he was oblivious to the demon that I could see heading toward us. Isabelle was in her own world, which could have been expected.

"To protect Clary and the cup. If Valentine ever captured me, he could torture Clary's memories out of me just like he tortured Dot."

"Tortured? Wait, is Dot okay?" We were running out of time.

"You don't know? Dot is dead."

"What? How do you know?"

"I can't feel her magic anymore. Valentine killed her because she would not betray your mother." Jace finally seemed to catch on, and I could see Isabelle coming toward us.

"Oh my God."

"Come with me, Clary. My lair can offer you protection no shadowhunter ever could." Jace scoffed, and I reached for my seraph blades.

"No. I'm not going anywhere with you."

"Don't be a fool. Your mother would want you to live."

"Then help me get my memories back from whatever demon you gave them to." We had maybe a minute before all hell was going to break loose, quite literally.

"Valentine is hunting you too, and every moment we're outside my lair's protection is a moment that he gets closer to finding us." I watched him open a portal, but Clary stance was defiant. Magnus held out his hand, and I watched her glance at Jace, "Come with me. I won't offer again." Knowing Magnus, he meant that, regardless of what anyone else wanted. He was about to become our only option.

"No. No, I won't hide from my problems, and neither should you."

"Look out!" Isabelle yelled from behind us. I ducked as an arrow soared over our heads, and I activated my blades.

"Who are you?" The look on Magnus' face spelled trouble. Alec walked over to whatever he shot, standing over the body.

"Magnus wait! You're my only hope."

"Valentine's found us. I warned you mother this might happen." And then he was gone, leaving us with shadowhunters and demons moving in our direction.

"We have to get out of here." Clary stood there, staring at the spot Magnus vacated. I walked in front of her, placing my hands on her shoulders.

"Clary, look at me. We have to go." I pulled her toward the entrance, following behind Jace and Isabelle. Clary almost seemed catatonic as we made our way back outside.

"Jace."

"Clary, we have to move."

"I'm catching my breath," she snapped, looking absolutely terrified. We didn't have time to wait. Any second, we could all lose our lives.

"You know, this is just great. Not only did Magnus not get the girl her memories back, he took the necklace. This is fantastic."

"Shut up, Alec." I was tired of hearing him talk. He acted like Clary was a burden, like she asked to be thrown in the middle of this. She didn't have a choice. None of us did.

"That girl, her name is Clary, and I highly suggest you keep your voice down." I smirked at Jace's anger, knowing he was only this upset because he actually liked Clary and wanted to keep her safe.

"Why? What, are you afraid I'm going to upset her? We have risked our lives again and again for this girl and where has it gotten us? Nowhere. We're no closer to getting the mortal cup, and we've lost the Institute's necklace."

"Hey, I'm right here. I don't care about your damn jewelry. I'm sorry you're gonna look bad in front of your bosses, okay? But my mother is still missing, and my last chance at finding her just disappeared into thin air!"

"Clary, it's gonna be fine." Jace was trying to be the voice of reason, but we needed to go.

"No it's not. People are dying because of me. And Magnus? Magnus will never come out of hiding again while Valentine is still after him. We're never going to find him, and I will never get my memories back."

"You give up way too easy." Jace turned on his heel and promptly walked away from us. I scurried behind him, dragging Clary with me. He stopped, making me run into his back. I watched him pull his stele from his pocket and start drawing a rune on his palm.

"What's he doing?" Clary asked.

"He's tracking Magnus. Quiet. Keep your distance."

"The button belonged to Magnus. Jace can pinpoint his location using that." I wasn't even aware that Jace had one of Magnus' buttons. I glanced around, trying to make sure no one was coming for us, but there was no way to tell for sure. We hadn't thrown anyone off our trail. They could be watching us, waiting for the perfect moment.

"Magnus must be blocking the track. Let's do this Alec." I was confused at first, but then it made sense.

"Do what?"

"Parabatai tracking."

"Of course they are." I had to remember that this was all new to Clary. She didn't know the stories.

"When parabatai's track, their power grows stronger. Jace and Alec are going to track Magnus together." The whole ordeal seemed a bit intimate as they clasped hands. Jace immediately closed his eyes, but I could see Alec gazing at him, and I almost choked.

"Got it." Jace let go and started moving, but it was obvious that Alec needed a moment to gather himself, and I finally understood. Alec was in love with Jace, and it was causing a problem. We ended up in a warehouse, and I activated my blades once again.

"Magnus' lair is right behind that fence."

"Magnus lives in a warehouse?" Clary asked, looking around. She held her blade awkwardly. It was obvious she was still new and hadn't had much training.

"Not exactly. Warlock glamour."

"Something's wrong," Isabella said, and I was glad I wasn't the only one that noticed.

"His protective wards must be down."

"Don't get in the way." Alec spoke directly to Clary, and I wanted to land a blow right to the back of his head. He was being an ass because he thought Clary was ruining his chances with Jace, but I could tell there was never a chance to begin with. Jace was all alpha male. It would never happen. I heard a groan and the sound of someone being stabbed. There were two people fighting in front of the fence, and one hit the floor. I took off, heading straight for the man that was still standing. He saw us coming and ran, leaving the body there.

"Daddy, get up. Daddy please." A little girl came out of the doorway, and I yanked her back. Another man appeared from the shadows, heading straight in our direction.

"Let me go!" She fought against me, but I held on tighter.

"I'm trying to help you."

"Watch out!" Clary kicked the man, but it barely moved him. He turned around, and I could tell that he recognized her.

"Clary Fairchild. Valentine will be happy to see you." He raised his arm, and I watched Isabelle's whip lash out and grab onto his wrist. He turned, and Jace's blade sliced into his back.

"Thanks for that." Clary stared up at him.

"Anytime." Jace winked, and I pretended to gag when Isabelle smirked at them.

"Stay close. It's safest if we stay together."

"It's okay. I won't leave you alone, I promise," I said to the little girl, wrapping my arm around her shoulders. We kept moving, and I could hear something crashing. Magnus was fighting someone.

"Where's Alec?" I asked as we moved through the empty hallways.

"He went ahead. He should be inside already." When we made it to the main room, there was a mass of dead bodies. I cursed under my breath as Jace went to each one, taking their weapons. The little girl ran straight for Magnus, wrapping her arms around his stomach.

"Go join the others. This isn't a place for little girls." She disappeared through a doorway, and I made myself busy, trying to identify the people on the floor. Obviously they all worked for Valentine, and I recognized a couple of them. Surely my dad knew who they were, "Hold tight everyone. We're about to move."