Every Once in a While

10.

I was currently removing all the stitches from a patient's hand when Noa came up behind me, watching me intently. I glanced up at him, giving him a questioning look. What did he want now? I had come back from my lunch break, genuinely happy. Probably because I spent most of it with Poe, best way to spend a lunch break if you ask me. Now here came Noa, draining my happiness and my patience. I didn't understand why he wouldn't just give me some space.

"Yeah?" I mumbled, now I wasn't completely focused. I was staring at the patient's hand, waiting for Noa to respond. Or better yet, to walk away. I tightened my index finger and thumb around the small scissors I was currently holding.

"You can do it much quicker if you-"

"I've done this before." I whispered through gritted teeth. He was a doctor, whatever he was going to say was obviously going to be beneficial to me, but I didn't want to hear it from Noa. I glanced at the patient, a woman, no older than 25. She discreetly glanced at me and then back up at Noa. "I'm almost done," I told her, "Just two more."

"Just trying to help." Noa shrugged, smiling. I don't need your help. I rolled my eyes as I went back to concentrating on cutting the small sutures on the back of the woman's hand.

"You look annoyed." She laughed softly, she waited until Noa had walked away. She didn't even wince as I finished my job. Removing stitches didn't bother me, but the once I had to get my own stitches removed, I was in so much pain.

"I am. I just-" I shrugged a shoulder, setting the tools on the small metal table next to me. I grabbed some gauze and ointment. Rubbing it softly over her healed wound, I started to wrap the thin fabric over her hand. "Don't you have annoying co-workers?"

She nodded, scoffing, "Practically all of those pilots annoy the hell out of me." I laughed softly. Once we were done, I had to make the rest of my rounds. I was pleased when Noa kept to himself, the last thing I needed was for him to hassle me. I was standing at the front counter, staring down at the numbers that were projected onto the table. I would be able to leave in 5 minutes, it wasn't a long day but I wanted nothing more than a warm, relaxing bath. I also took this time to go over the options I had regarding Noa. I couldn't be snappy with him, he was practically my boss. He just made it so hard, he was just so....irritating. I wasn't certain if having another conversation with him would fix the issue.

Noa and I had left the med bay at the same exact time. He was quiet and I felt nothing but awkward as we had to walk the same path towards our rooms. I wondered if it would be weird if I had slowed down, would he notice?

"You know, Isla." Here we go.

"Yes?" I looked over at him.

"I was only trying to help in there." He stopped walking, turning to face me. I took a couple more steps, trying to keep some distance between us. He didn't look too happy, I had made him mad. Or at least I assumed I was the reason for the slight frown on his face. "Your response was a little...hostile." A small part of me felt bad, but I didn't want to apologize.

"I...Well," I huffed, "I knew what I was doing. I might not be a doctor but-"

"I know you aren't a doctor, that's why I was trying to help." That sort of stung. I wouldn't get anything out of going back and forth with him. "Maybe you should try and work on the way you act around your peers." He smiled, it looked forced.

"Yes, sir." I rolled my eyes, dramatically. "Let's hope I meet your standards tomorrow." I said sarcastically, walking away.

"I mean it, Isla." He called after me. I turned around quickly, facing him once more. He was watching me cautiously, waiting for me to say something. I kept my mouth shut, I nodded, indicating that I understood.

"He's so stupid." I grumbled under my breath, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Who?" Poe was walking towards me, smiling the smile that reached his eyes.

"Noa." I replied, "What are you doing out-"

He grabbed my hand, "I wanna take you somewhere." I stared at him for a moment, furrowing my eyebrows. The warm bath could wait, I much rather spend time with Poe. He glanced around us before focusing his gaze onto me. "Say yes." He gave my hand a squeeze.

"Where?" I asked. The base was big but there wasn't any part that seemed worthy to run off to. Plus, you never knew who would be out. "Your room?" I questioned. He laughed, shaking his head,

"We'll save that for some other night," He winked, "Or another day. Whatever you're into." I shook my head at him, I was sure I was blushing slightly. "So where?"

"Somewhere off the base." He tugged at my hand.

"Are we allowed to leave?" I asked. Ever since I had come to the base, I never asked to leave. I wasn't sure if it was allowed. Everything I needed was provided, I had no reason to leave.

"Isla, come on." He scoffed, "We aren't prisoners. Plus, you're with me." I nodded hesitantly, not sure what to say. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a tiny bit scared, what was there to do off the base? I was also afraid that leaving would get me in trouble somehow. Poe was walking fast and I struggled to keep up with him, "Why are you walking so fast? See!" I whispered to him "You don't want to be seen. Meaning we shouldn't be leaving." He didn't say anything, he didn't even look at me. He was walking towards the port, I hesitated once more.

"I'm not getting into one of those things." I objected quietly, sprinting to catch up to him. He glanced back at me, reaching to grab my hand.

"We aren't flying." We walked right past the port, I was thoroughly confused. I wanted to ask where we were going exactly and how far it was but I had a feeling Poe wouldn't answer either of those questions. Poe held my hand tightly as we walked down a grassy slope. We were on the side of the base that I had never been on before. It was bare, no rooms nor buildings. I was half expecting Poe to stop here, but then I remembered he said we weren't going to be on the base. The base was cut off by giant stone walls. I had seen them before, on the other side of the base. They were slightly visible from the med bay. They were much taller on this side. Poe dropped my hand, walking over to the wall.

"Poe," I sighed, glancing over my shoulder, "Where are we going?" He had already started to climb and I groaned as I watched him, realizing that I would have to do the same.

"Isla, I'm trying to be romantic here." He looked down at me, he was almost the top. I wasn't worried about whether or not he would fall, by the looks of it he had done this before. He moved up the wall with ease, as if he didn't have an injured arm.

"By making me climb a wall?" I questioned teasingly. He was at the top, he was glancing around to the other side. "Come on." He motioned for me to come up. I stared up at him for a moment, trying to hide the fact that I was intimidated. I wasn't exactly a pro at climbing things. The last time I climbed something, I was 10 and ended up with a broken arm and 5 stitches on my leg. The wall's stones were uneven, meaning it wouldn't be too hard to climb. I reached out slowly, placing my hands on a rock that looked to be sturdy enough. Next was trying to find a place to put my feet. I wasn't as fast as Poe, I hesitated frequently, the idea of falling was making me second guess all my movements.

"Here." Poe reached his good hand towards me, I held onto it tightly as I pushed up with my feet, making it easier for him to help me up.

"Now I have to climb down?" I gulped. I hadn't let myself look down as I was climbing down but now there was no other choice. Unlike on the inside of the wall, it was extremely dark, I wasn't sure if I could see the ground.

"I'll go first." Poe snapped me out of my thoughts. He climbed half way down before jumping off, landing steadily. I knew Poe seemed further down than he really was, it was just my nerves. I glanced back to the base, I could see each and every building from up here. The lights from inside the rooms dazzled through in tiny specks.

"You know, I don't care for romance. Can I go back?" I asked, looking down at Poe. He didn't look very impressed, he crossed his arms over his chest. "Is that a no?" I sighed when he didn't say anything. I turned, holding onto the top of the wall for support. I glanced down, looking for a stone to place my feet on. Climbing down was much more difficult than climbing up, at least it was for me. It didn't help that there wasn't any source of light. I had to climb down blindly. I knew I was close when I felt Poe's hand on my lower back.

"I can't see." I whispered as I stretched my arms out in front of me, I wasn't sure what I was feeling for. My hands met with Poe's body, I grasped his upper arm, walking closer to him.

"Come on." He started walking and I stumbled next to him.

"How can you see?" I whispered. I felt him shrug,

"I'm used to it, " He shifted so that his arm was wrapped around my waist, "You don't have to keep whispering." I was glad it was dark, because I was sure I my cheeks had turned a light shade of pink. I was looking ahead at nothing but darkness for what seemed like ages but then I could spot a faint light. We walked out of the wooded part and onto a dimly lit opening. I looked up, wondering where the source of light was coming from.

"It's the stars. You can't see them on the base, it's too polluted from all the lights we use." Poe explained. I knew D'qar was mostly made up of forest and beautiful grassy knolls, it was the first thing I ever noticed when I arrived on the base. It was different out here, everything was untouched. The grass felt soft under my feet. I looked around me, wondering if I was actually hearing the faint sound of water.

"It looks better from up there." Poe pointed towards a small hill, "There's a small lake on the other side." I didn't wait for Poe to lead the way, I was way ahead of him this time. I made it to the top of the hill and looked down, staring at the small body of swooshing water.

"The water is so clear." I said, peeking over once more, clearly seeing the bottom of the lake.

"Yeah, cool, huh?" Poe came to my side, looking over at me.

I smiled, grabbing his hand, "I guess this is romantic."

He smirked, "I'm all about the fairy tale, baby." I laughed softly, holding his hand even tighter.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next update will probably over the weekend.

AND of course thanks to GlasgowXsmile and pikaponn for commenting. Your comments' make me super happy, thank you!:)

and yes, the last line might've been taken from sons of anarchy;) Thanks for reading<3