Every Once in a While

16.

Poe wasn't lying, he definitely wasn't in the mood for talking. I watched, mouth agape with incredulity. Poe grabbed Noa by the collar of his jacket and proceeded to slam him against the wall. I stood frozen in my spot, I wanted to look away from them but I couldn't. I should have listened to Poe, I should have stayed back in my room.

Poe still had hold of Noa's collar, he was gripping it so tight that his knuckles had started to turn white.

"What's your problem-"

Poe cut him off, "Don't try and act as if you haven't done anything wrong." Noa looked over at me, with a less than amused expression. He looked back over at Poe, his features never changing.

"What did I do?" Noa asked, shrugging Poe off. Poe took a step back, his fists clenched by his side. I wasn't anticipating what was about to happen, I knew it wouldn't be anything good. I didn't want Poe to get into trouble, definitely not over me.

"Poe, let's go." I pleaded. I wasn't expecting Noa to confess, especially not to Poe, considering his status. But waiting around and asking Poe what he had done wrong wasn't very smart of him. Poe ignored me, he didn't even look over in my direction. I took a couple steps closer to him, stopping about five feet away. "Poe, please. What if someone comes by and-"

Noa cut me off, "If I were you, Commander, I'd listen to your little girlfriend."

Poe shoved Noa back in one quick movement, Noa's head hit the wall and I flinched. Poe had one hand back on Noa's collar, bunching up the white material. While he was pointing a finger at Noa with his other hand.

"My girlfriend tells me you're the reason for those marks on her arms." Poe had raised his voice, his words weren't directed at me but I was still slightly frightened.

"And you believe her?" Noa shrugged Poe off, harshly. I was surprised at how long Noa had kept his cool, but it was wearing off, quickly. "That's what you told him, Isla? That I put my hands on you? Did you leave out the flirting, the leading me on, the-" I couldn't take his condescending tone any longer.

"I've never flirted with you, Noa!" I let out a frustrated sigh, "Don't change the damn subject, and don't stand there and act oblivious. I haven't done anything to evoke that kind of behavior from you." I could feel the angry tears brim my eyes and I did my best not to blink, I didn't want to cry in front of either of them.

"Aren't you being a little dramatic, Isla?" Noa scoffed, "I grabbed you, I didn't- " That was it, no more talking. Poe had collided his fist with Noa's face. Noa's features hardened, his lips forming into a tight line. Noa had made the move to try and return the favor but Poe dodged the punch swiftly. They had somehow grabbed hold of each other, trying to wrestle one another onto the ground. Noa managed to pin Poe onto the ground, finally giving Noa the opportunity to land a couple blows onto Poe. I jogged over, closing the small gap that had formed in between us.

"Stop it!" I grabbed hold of Noa's shoulder, attempting to pull him off. Noa looked over at me, he shoved me with his free hand, his other hand was pressed against Poe's collar bone, attempting to keep him against the ground. I stumbled slightly, surprised at how much force he was able to produce with just one hand. I saw a flash of orange run past me, the pilot grabbed hold of Noa and yanked him off.

"Dameron, what's going on?" He asked, extending an arm to help Poe up. I let out a breath of relief, rubbing a hand over my tired face. Everyone was eerily still and quiet. I wanted to beckon Poe over, to make him come back to my room with me. Poe didn't give me a chance, he moved away from the pilot, who was standing in front of a kneeling Noa.

"Poe, stop." I said, it had only come out as a whisper. I closed my eyes, but it didn't do me any good because I could still hear the unpleasant sound of Poe's fist colliding with Noa's face. I heard a small cracking sound after Poe had landed another blow. "Poe, don't hit him again, you'll break his nose." I was much louder now. I stumbled over to him, grabbing hold of him and using all my strength to try and pull him off. I glanced behind me, silently pleading with the man that had appeared minutes before. I moved out of the way quickly, letting the pilot pull Poe up. He had his arms wrapped around the underside of Poe's arms, making it hard for him to move.

"Dude, calm down."

Poe was breathing heavily, and it was only then that I had realized he had a bloody lip. He shrugged the man off, reaching up to wipe blood off his chin.

"I'm going to make sure you lose your job, you piece of shit." Poe had leaned over so that he was hovering over Noa. A part of me had almost felt bad when I looked down at Noa. His nose was bleeding and his left eye was puffy and red. Poe had started to stalk off, the unfamiliar pilot followed. I hesitated, taking another glance at Noa. He hadn't gotten up, and I had started to wonder if he would need any medical help.

"Leave him." Poe looked over his shoulder at me, "Isla, come on."

"Should we take him into the med bay?" I asked when I had caught up to him.

"Don't worry about that douchebag." Poe sounded annoyed so I decided to drop it.

"What the hell was that about?" The pilot asked, he came up to stand on the other side of Poe.

"Aren't you supposed to be monitoring the repairs, Snap?" Poe asked slowly.

"I-I was," The man defended, "Jess was looking for you, said I would come and find you. Good thing I did." He lifted a hand to point out Poe's injury.

"I'm fine." Poe huffed.

"I've known you for quite some time, Dameron. Never seen you get in a fight-"

"Snap," Poe said in a much more authoritative tone, "The repairs."

"Right." The man who Poe referred to as Snap nodded, "I'll tell Jess you're busy."

It was quiet for a moment, I was racking my mind to try and find something to say. I glanced over at Poe, scanning his face over. Other than the cut on his lip, he seemed perfectly fine. I glanced behind me but the med bay wasn't in clear view anymore, I was hoping Noa was able to get up because someone finding him in the state he was in wouldn't look too good on Poe's part.

"Let me clean you up?" I offered hesitantly. I had many things to say regarding the small brawl Poe and Noa were in, but I knew Poe wouldn't want to hear it. I could tell that he was still mad, I didn't want to contribute to his anger. He cocked his head towards the living quarters, I lead the way to my room. I unlocked my door and let Poe walk in first. I pulled him into the bathroom, he sat at the edge of the bathtub. He didn't say anything as I gently dabbed a wet cloth against his lip, pressing into his cut as softly as I could.

"My fist hurts." He mumbled as I stood up straight, tossing the bloody cloth into the trash. I glanced down at his hand, it was the hand that had previously been adorned with a bandage. It definitely wasn't a good thing, he wasn't letting it heal properly.

"I'm not surprised," I walked out the bathroom, "Let's put something cold on it." We were sitting on my bed, Poe with an ice pack on his hand while I watched him silently.

"Are you mad at me?" Poe asked, looking up to meet my eyes.

I stayed silent for a moment, "No, I don't think what you did was very smart, though."

"He-"

"Poe, can't you get into trouble?" I cut him off quickly.

"I don't care about that." He huffed, almost in a child like manner.

"You should." I replied softly, "I'm sorry that I got you into this situation."

"Hey, no." He reached over to link our hands together, "Don't be sorry. I'm sorry, I know I should've stopped but I've never been so mad at someone before." I nodded, holding onto his hand even tighter. I knew all too well that if it wasn't for me Poe wouldn't have gotten into a fight with Noa, he wouldn't have a bloody lip or a sore hand. It also didn't help that he hadn't even been home for a day, I was more than positive that he was tired, it looked as if he needed a good night's sleep.

"I've gotta talk to General Organa, before she hears it from someone else." I didn't let go of his hand, I wanted to keep him here with me, I wanted to forget about anything having to do with Noa.

"What's wrong?" He asked, noticing my hesitation.

"What if I have to leave?" I asked, looking down at our hands.

"Leave?" Poe was confused, "For what, Isla?"

"I'm just a nurse, Poe." I explained, "He's a doctor, and a good one at that. What if they don't want me on the base anymore? What if-"

"Isla, stop." I looked over at him, his brow was furrowed and his lips were formed into a tight line, "You didn't do anything wrong, he did. They aren't going to send you away, I know for a fact that the general won't stand for that type of behavior." He untangled our fingers and wrapped an arm around my shoulders, he smushed me into his side.

"He's much more valuable-"

"Isla," He muttered in a disappointed tone, "Don't say things like that."

"Poe, I'm being serious."

"Fine," He pulled away slightly so that he could look down at me, "I won't let them send you away."

"You can't do that." I rolled my eyes, "You can't favor me. They'll think you're choosing sides." He moved his free hand so that it was caressing my cheek,

"No one will side with that asshole, Isla. You're staying here, where you belong." He leaned in slowly, pressing a kiss to my forehead. I closed my eyes and sighed softly, enjoying how close Poe was. "I have to go." He mumbled into my hair.

"Okay." I let him get up, watching him as he walked towards the door.

"Don't worry, okay?" He smiled. I nodded in response.

I'll try.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks GlasgowXsmile & pikaponn for commenting, when you guys comment it makes me super excited and makes me wanna write, write, write :P

thanks for reading.x