Every Once in a While

18.

Poe refused to sleep, even now, when there wasn't anything to worry over. I was lying on my bed, rubbing quickly at my face, hoping the brisk movement would wake me up a bit. Poe had lied next to me for a couple of minutes before scooting to sit on the edge of the bed. He was being extremely quiet, I knew something was bothering him. I stayed still, wondering if I could even begin to make him feel any better.

"You can't do anything about it now, Poe." I sat slowly, moving closer to him. "Do you really think General Organa will let you leave, you just got back." He didn't say anything, I let my hand rest on his shoulder, giving him a gentle squeeze.

"I need BB-8 back." His expression was blank but his voice sounded strained. "I know he's just a droid..but he's my droid and he's so small." I smiled slightly, suppressing a chuckle.

"I know, but aren't astromech droids extremely smart? I'm sure BB-8 is safe." I assured, he huffed in response. Poe didn't move, he stared at the ground intently, thinking quietly. I studied his face, letting my eyes scan over the familiar lines and curvature that made up his face. I took a little more time letting my gaze inspect the new bruises and cuts that now adorned his face. "Your droid will be home before you know it." I tried to reassure him once more.

"What do you want to do?" I asked quietly.

"I'll be right back," He was standing now, "We can nap." I watched him as he walked over to the door, I wanted to ask where he was going but I bit my tongue.

"Okay, I'll be here." I smiled when he turned to give my one last look before exiting my room.

When Poe had left, I had assumed that he would be gone for a couple minutes. 20 minutes had passed and I didn't have it in me to stay awake anymore. I kicked off my shoes, snuggling into bed as I pulled the sheets up to my chest. I closed my eyes, breathing in deeply. I figured Poe had gotten caught up in something important, he had just gotten back from a mission, it would be understandable. I pushed the thought to the back of my head, mostly for the mere fact that I wanted nothing more than to nap with Poe right beside me. There was always next time.

I had fallen into a peaceful sleep, and when I was woken up by a light knock on the door, I was felt somewhat refreshed. My bed was a little too warm, it made getting up and answering the door so much harder. I sat up, combing my fingers through my hair. From the feel of it, I was definitely experiencing a case of 'bedhead'. I ran my fingers through my hair more vigorously this time, as if that would make it any better. I glanced down at myself, adjusting the front of my shirt before opening the door.

"Oh, it's just you." I took a sigh of relief.

"Expecting some other man to show up at your door?"

I moved slightly, to make space for Poe to walk in, "No, I made sure to kick him out before you got here."

"Isla." He gave me a less than pleased look.

"You started it." I laughed, shutting the door behind me. I got back into bed, back in the same exact snugly, lying position I had been in before Poe showed up. "Nap?" I asked, looking up at him. He was still standing by the door way. He nodded in response, taking his boots off before he got into bed. I watched as he shrugged his jacket off, tossing it onto my desk chair. Poe made his way to lay behind me, I could feel his hot breath on my neck. I turned to face him, smiling at how close we were.

"Where did you go?" So much for not asking. I nuzzled my face into his shoulder softly, breathing in his scent. His fingers were at the back of my neck, rubbing random patterns into my skin.

"You know." He mumbled, he pulled me in closer. Using the new position to rest his cheek on top of my head. I buried my face in his chest, closing my eyes instantly. "I might have made my way to the med bay." I pulled away from quickly, breaking the embrace.

"Is something wrong? Is it your hand, or your head?" My words sounded mumbled together due to how fast I had spoke them.

"I'm fine, Isla." He chuckled softly. "Come back." He patted his chest once, opening his arms. I laid my head back down onto his chest. His arms wound themselves over my shoulders, locking me in place.

"Why would you be in the med bay if you aren't hurt?" My words were muffled, my mouth was too close to his chest. I felt him shrug his shoulders.

"Fine....I had to see him leave with my own eyes." I stirred slightly, hoping his grip on me would loosen. He didn't say anything else, but I hadn't expected him to.

"Poe....Wasn't punching him around enough? "

He made a displeased sound, "No. I needed to see him leave. I missed General Organa talking to him, that would have been amusing. He got what he deserved, Isla."

"How did he look?" I asked, almost hesitantly. I was glad I wasn't there to see Noa, I concluded that he wouldn't be too happy to see me. I wouldn't go as far as to blame myself for his departure, but I was involved, and Poe did shove him around a bit. I would be nervous to show my face in front of Noa, but Poe obviously didn't feel the same way.

"You should've seen him. I can't be sure, but I don't think his face will be healing any time soon." I grimaced slightly, picturing a battered Noa.

"Did he see you?" I asked, breaking free of his grasp. I watched him nod, a blank expression on his face.

"I wouldn't say we exchanged words..." Poe said, reading my mind and answering before I even had the chance to ask. "Maybe if you consider name calling-" I groaned, shaking my head softly. I furrowed my brow and looked up to meet his eyes.

"What?" He had grasped my face in his hands, rubbing his thumb across my jawline. "What's that face for? Are you mad?"

"No." I sighed, "Did you really have to go and see him leave?" I couldn't hide the slight irritation dripping from my words. Poe moved his hands down, resting them on my shoulders. "You probably made him more mad than-"

"Isla, come on." Poe laughed, "What do you care?"

"I don't know." I moved away from him, lying flat on my back, "You literally left me here, just so that you could watch Noa leave?"

"Oh," I could hear the smile in his voice, "Is that what this is about?" He was hovering over me, smirking.

"That and I want you to forget all about Noa."

"Help me forget." Poe's eyes gleamed, one eyebrow cocked.

I didn't get very far in trying to help Poe 'forget'. Poe was irritated at the fact that kissing wasn't very pleasurable for him right now, so I did the kissing. Kissing his neck, sucking and nibbling gently every so often. I had taken his shirt off, trailing kisses over his chest and down his stomach. Poe had pulled me back up, sliding my cardigan off. Poe hadn't said anything at first, he ghosted his fingers over my arms, making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

"I can't." He mumbled quietly, "Not -"

"I understand." And I did, did I want to go further? Yes. But there would be other times for that, at least that was what I kept telling myself. He helped me slip my cardigan back on, gently rubbing my shoulders once it was back in place.

"Nap?" Poe asked. I would have rather been finishing what I had started, but I wasn't going to refuse a nap. I nodded, curling up next to his shirtless torso. Poe played with the ends of my hair, I closed my eyes and rested my cheek against his chest.

We also didn't get very far 'napping', this time it didn't have anything to do with me or the marks on my arms. Poe was still asleep, mumbling quite loudly, I sat back, wondering if I should shake him awake. He was shaking his head, his mumbling still incoherent. I had almost expected him to stop, but he wasn't, it was when he had started twitching that I reached out and grasped his shoulder, shaking him. He stirred one last time before his eyes shot open,looking around the room in a confused daze.

"What?" He breathed out, "What is it?"

"You were...twitching. I don't know, thought you were having a bad dream." Poe didn't say anything, he was taking long, labored breaths. He rubbed a hand over his tired face, stopping to press his fingers into his temple, rubbing small circles. "What's wrong?" I grasped his hand once he dropped them to his sides.

"It's just so vivid, as if I were still there. Like he was in my head." I couldn't say I was surprised, Poe had acted almost nonchalantly when he spoke about what had happened, about being tortured. I watched him through helpless eyes, there was nothing I could say to make him feel better, I knew it. I couldn't erase Poe's memories, I couldn't change what had happened to him. I wasn't sure I even knew what to say.

I opted for the most appropriate thing to say. "I'm sorry." I rubbed circles into the back of his hand. Poe relaxed into the bed, closing his eyes for a couple of seconds.

"Did I wake you?" He whispered.

"Yeah, but don't worry about it. I don't mind." I assured him quickly.

Poe pulled me into his chest, hugging me softly, making sure that he wasn't pressing too hard into my arms. "As if everything else wasn't enough, now I can't sleep thanks to the asshole."

"Sorry. Sorry. Sorry." I mumbled into his neck, he laughed. "I wish there was something I could do."

"This is enough." Poe said into my hair.

"I would kiss you but-" I pulled away slightly, letting my forefinger trace the shape of his lips, skipping over his cut.

"I can tough it out for a couple of minutes." He gave me a wink, I was in the middle of rolling my eyes when he pressed his lips against mine. For someone with a cut on his lip, Poe was kissing me rather roughly. I moaned softly when he nibbled at my bottom lip, he pulled away, trailing kisses along my jawline.He sucked on the skin on my neck, I was sure he would leave marks but I wasn't too worried about it.

"Alright, ow." He pulled away from me, licking over his bottom lip. I ruffled his dark hair, locking my hands behind his neck.

"Let's get out of bed, Dameron." I smiled, "It isn't doing us any good."
♠ ♠ ♠
Poor Poe...for missing BB-8 and for the nightmares and poor Isla...for not getting laid lol

thanks GlasgowXsmile & pikaponn for commenting, and thanks for the info on Poe's X-wing, I've seen TFA at least 4 times but I always forget:P

thanks for reading.x