Every Once in a While

19.

Poe and I tried almost everything to try and keep us awake, but it had started to fall short. It was during our second cup of tea that Poe boasted about how he could bake the best chocolate cake ever.

I doubted him openly, "Sure." I laughed. Poe's mouth hung open in shock, his eyes widening as I continued laughing. I couldn't picture Poe baking anything, let alone being good at it. I could be wrong, maybe Poe was the best baker on the base, next to Jules of course.

"Are you doubting me, Isla?" He narrowed his eyes at me, I could see the smirk form on his lips, "I'm hurt."

"You bet I am." I pressed a hand to my stomach, I had laughed way too hard, "So, by your standards you can bake the best chocolate cake ever?" I asked, smiling over at him.

He scoffed, eyes twinkling, I could tell he wanted to laugh, but he was doing a good job at doing the opposite, "No, I've been told....by more than one person." He wiggled his eyebrows at me and I mimicked his previous facial expression, I narrowed my eyes.

"Who?"

"Wouldn't you like to know."

"Yes, that's why I'm asking." I sighed in a bored manner, hoping I sounded impatient.

He shrugged his shoulders, his playful expression morphed into one of embarrassment. His cheeks had turned a light pink color, "Alright, I'm not the best baker but the ladies have never complained-"

"So? You bake your 'best' cake for all of your girlfriends?" I raised an eyebrow, "And here I thought I was special.

"I didn't say-"

I cut him off once more, "It's what you meant, right?" He nodded once, looking away from me. I couldn't help but laugh once more, holding onto my side. I could feel Poe's eyes on me, I had tried to halt my laughing seeing that it was making speaking almost impossible.

"Why do you look so embarrassed, Commander?" I teased playfully.

"Isla." He groaned.

"Alright," I stood up, extending my hand towards him, pulling him up when his hand was finally in mine. "Try and prove me wrong, Dameron." I pulled him along, walking over to the kitchen. He stood and watched as I moved around him, reaching into cupboards and drawers to set everything up. Having Jules as a best friend was coming in handy today, sometimes she would bake in my room instead of hers. Over time my kitchen pantry had started to look like hers.

"Go on." I nodded towards the ingredients I had set out.

"Fine." Poe stood up tall, "Be prepared to be wowed."

I smirked, "Can't wait."

Watching Poe bake was quite amusing, he seemed to be in his element and that had definitely come as a surprise. It was also cute when managed to get chocolate on his face without even noticing. His face when he was concentrating was also extremely adorable. His brows furrowed and his tongue peeked out through his lips. Who would've thought that watching Poe bake would be so cute? On more than one occasion I had wanted to break his concentration to kiss him but I refrained. Poe set the pan into the oven and went over to wash his hands. He walked back over to me, pinning me against the counter and his body.

"Got chocolate on your cheek." I chuckled.

"Get it." He turned his face up, presenting his cheek. I stuck my tongue out and licked the chocolate off.

"Thanks."

"No problem, Commander."

I was sitting on the kitchen counter while Poe stood next to me, his hand grasping my thigh. I leaned over so that I could nuzzle my face into his neck. "So, I didn't know baking was your thing."

"I wouldn't say it's my thing." Poe laughed, "I can only bake cake."

"We'll see." I pulled away.

"Isla, I can bake a good cake!" He defended. We spent the next couple minutes playfully bickering, I was only teasing Poe, but he was serious about proving me wrong. Once the oven beeped, Poe took the cake out quickly, setting it next to me.

"Smells good." I said. Poe shooed my hand away when I went to grab a piece, something about having to let it cool down for 10 minutes. I waited rather impatiently, bouncing my foot and tapping my fingers onto the counter under me.

"Alright, here." Poe laughed, he cut the cake in even pieces, causing me to laugh once again.

"Just give me piece."

"When did you become so impatient?"

"Since I've been waiting to try this cake for the last hour." He slid the plate over to me. I grabbed a fork and walked over to the kitchen nook.

"Fine, you weren't lying." I said with a mouth full of cake. Poe Dameron, the resistance's best pilot, and best chocolate cake baker. "Well, those girls are definitely missing out. I think you're stuck with me now, Dameron." I took another forkful of cake, "I don't think I can live without this." I smiled.

"That's fine with me." He smiled, it reached his eyes. "I think apologies are in order."

"I'm sorry." I laughed.

"Hm," He shook his head, "I think you need to make it up to me."

"You still have some making up to do, remember." I smirked.

He nodded, "Guess there'll be a lot of making up going on." Oh, I hope so. Poe and I ate way too much cake, I wasn't sure if I would be able to get up. I groaned when Poe did just that, he grabbed my plate and walked into the kitchen to set them into the sink.

"You know, I've never really looked around your room," Poe pushed himself away from the counter, walking further into the small room. I groaned slightly, I was a tiny bit nervous about having someone scoping out my room. He walked over to my desk, taking a seat and running his hands over everything the was set on top of the table.

"Is this you?" Poe asked, leaning back in the chair, a small picture frame in his hands. I sat up, gulping as I stood up as quickly as possible. I rubbed a hand over my face, this wasn't something I wanted to deal with right now.

"Yeah." I said softly, I reached out to grab the frame ,I moved the picture around in my hand, inspecting it. I knew it was in my room but I guess it was safe to say that I had forgotten about it. I had forgotten it on purpose, if I was being honest.

"My mom and I."

"You look just like her." Poe stood, standing right behind me. I nodded in agreement, I used to hear it all the time when I was younger, I had almost found it annoying growing up but now I took the small statement as a compliment. My mom and I had identical facial features, especially now that I was older. Except she had beautiful, bright green eyes while mine were an ordinary brown. In the picture my mom and I were sitting side by side, laughing about something I couldn't remember. She had her dark brown hair styled in a neat plait, I smiled slightly, it looked extremely similar to the way I styled my hair now. I couldn't have been older than 10 in the picture. I set the frame back quickly, making sure to set it in the place where it had previously been. Almost completely hidden behind a stack of books.

"What is it?"

"I can't look at it for too long," I shrugged a shoulder, I was glad he was standing behind me, meaning he wouldn't be able to catch my saddened expression, "It makes me sad." I sighed deeply, almost regretting the fact that I had said anything about it. In that moment, I realized that Poe and I didn't really know much about each other, our families, or even where we came from. I wasn't a very open person, and now I knew I would have to open to Poe. Even with Jules, I had avoided the whole backstory conversation until she practically forced me to open up.

"Why?" He took a couple steps away so that he was standing right in front of me. I didn't avoid his gaze, hoping my facial expression had gone back to it's neutral state.

Say you don't want to talk about it.

"Um," I mumbled.

Might as well tell him now.

"I...I don't know. Because then I remember everything about her. I remember things I'd rather not think about."

"My mom passed away when I was 8." Poe said slowly. My eyes widened unintentionally, he had just proven that we really didn't know one thing about each other, nothing of importance at least. Poe's facial features didn't change drastically but his eyes made it seem as if he has sad.

"I was 14." I responded just as slowly. "When...it happened." I cleared my throat loudly. Even after 16 years, I couldn't even say the actual words.

"Then what happened? Just you and your dad?" Poe asked, he reached forward, taking hold of my hand.

I shook my head, "I never knew my dad," I shifted uncomfortably, looking down at our intertwined fingers. "Was it just you and your dad?"

He nodded, "Yup."

"Do we have to talk about this?" I blurted out. I wasn't as sad as I was growing up, but talking about anything having to do with my mom only proceeded to open old wounds. I wish there was a way Poe could know everything about me without me actually having to tell him.

"Well, no." He smiled weakly, "But eventually, right?"

I wanted to shake my head, I wasn't looking forward to talking about it ever. But I nodded either way, squeezing his hand before letting go.

"We don't know much about each other." I said, quirking an eyebrow.

"We have to change that." He smiled, his hand came up to caress the side of my face. "All in due time." I leaned up slowly, placing my hands on his chest. My lips were only inches away from his when there was a knock on the door. Poe pressed his forehead against mine, sighing softly as he pulled away. I pecked his lips a couple times before walking over to answer the door.

"Commander Dameron." General Organa smiled, shifting slightly, peeking into my room to get a better look at Poe. "I had a feeling you'd be here, I didn't even bother checking your room." Poe laughed heartily, walking over to stand next to me. Her demeanor changed slightly, putting on her serious face.

"I need you...for something." She glanced over at me. "Get your gear ready. I'll explain more when you get to the hangar." And with that she turned on her heel, walking away briskly.

"You're leaving again?" I questioned slowly, trying to take the situation in.

"You just got back." I said mostly to myself. Poe grabbed his jacket, walking back over to where I was standing by the doorway.

"Duty calls." He smiled brightly. But I was far from happy, I didn't want Poe to leave, not again and definitely not so soon. After what he had told me, I was only thinking the worst. What if he were to be captured again, what if he wouldn't be able to get out of it this time.

"Come back, okay?" I sighed softly, I wanted to say more but I didn't want to sound too worried, "And don't get hurt, please."

"If I do you'll be my personal nurse, won't you?" He winked.

"Poe." I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Sorry." He grinned, "I promise I'll try not to get hurt. No guarantees, Isla." I wasn't fully satisfied with his answer but I wasn't going to get a better one. He had me in his arms before I could even think of how to respond. He held me tightly, I wiggled around so that I could wrap my arms around his back.

He pressed a kiss to the top of my head, "I expect to see you later tonight, Commander." I smiled softly, pulling away so that I could look up at him.

"Yes ma'am." He pulled me in for one more kiss, but it didn't last very long due to the damn cut on his lip. I tried not to think about what Poe could be up to on this specific mission, instead I went on to clean up the kitchen, but Poe being the perfect boyfriend he is, did most of the cleaning. I plopped myself down on my bed, there was no way I would be able to sleep but it was worth a shot. I was hoping that when I woke up, Poe would be back, all in one piece.
♠ ♠ ♠
fluff/some backstory/filler?

my wifi has been acting up so I had post this from my phone and it's been the most annoying thing, sorry for any mistakes.